Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Snow Blower  (Read 628 times)

fifthcrunch

• Dippy God
Snow Blower
« on: October 29, 2014, 05:45:35 »

Have been a little slow on this project.  Finally found an 83 Yamaha (or is it yamahahaha) that I bought for the engine.  It took all spring and most of the summer until I found this one.  Trying to do this really cheap, so that limited the possibilities, plus I just couldn't find many bikes cheap or just engines.  This one came very cheap and is a complete.  It's a 750, 4 cylinder, rated at 86 horse at 9000.  This motor is going on the snow blower, which currently is a 95 crapsman with an 8 horse tecumseh that I inherited from my neighbor.  It runs fine after a valve job and several other fixes, but I want serious power, and I don't know how good the bottom end of the tecumseh is after 18 New England winters.  The Yamahaha had not run in several years, due to a rusted-out gas tank, which the owner didn't want to replace at $600.  Since it sat for so long, I pulled the plugs (which look good) and squirted a lot of oil in the holes, thinking that the holes might be dry and oil might prevent breaking a ring or two.  Then let it sit for a week on the bike, thinking it might be easier to take care of whatever while still in place.  Then I took the gas tank off the snow blower, about 10 minutes, and jury rigged it on the bike.  What then took the most time was realizing the bike has safety features like a car.  It locks out the starter when not in neutral.  Disengaging the clutch over rides that.  But I found neutral.  Still, nothing worked.  The fuse box was all corroded, so I cleaned the contacts.  Then I got the green neutral light and the starter worked.  Still no ignition, as one of the fuse clip arms was broken.  I put a new fuse holder in the box, and she took about 10 turns and started.  Wow!  Lots of smoke.  Had to burn off all that oil.  Ran pretty ragged for a while and then I remembered I  forgot to plug the vacuum hose that runs the fuel shut off.  Plugged that and she settled down.  Runs completely smooth.  But won't run at under 1200 rpm.  At about 1200 she just shuts off, no missing, skipping, etc.  Just shuts down.  So I suspect the gas went bad and plugged the idle jets.  And this jewel has 4 carbs.  That I think I'll address when I take it off the frame.  The carbs are a bit of a job to remove with the engine in place.  But I got a really late start on this project.  So I think I'll try to get one more winter out of the Tecumseh and do the snow blower as a spring project, along with 5A and Volvo body work and 5A headliner and dash modification.

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

The Cap

• Mopar Maniac
  • Dippy Oracle
  • In a Plymouth
  • I ain't sayin'...I'm just sayin'
Re: Snow Blower
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 06:58:49 »

A nice semi insane project for the spring....
That way you'll have lots of time to get it all done.
1978 Plymouth Caravelle 2 Door Boat Tail 225 Super Six
1980 Plymouth Volare 2 Door Coupe 225 Super Six
1987 Chrysler Fifth Ave. 318 Police Interceptor (Daily Driver)

fifthcrunch

• Dippy God
Re: Snow Blower
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 08:15:37 »

Along with the honey do list.
Pages: [1] |   Go Up