Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Bucket seat rail schematic?  (Read 2141 times)

M_Body_Coupe

• Dippy God
  • Windsor, ON, Canada
  • aka Diplomat360
Bucket seat rail schematic?
« on: June 29, 2012, 23:16:51 »

Guys...I think I messed something up with the driver side bucket seat.

I have a front to back/side to side (diagonally) play in the seat. So imagine that you plant your butt in the seat, set it to the right distance, and yet the seat has 'wiggle' room...meaning that the left & right rails do not stay aligned.

As best as I can tell this is caused by the fact that only the LEFT rail has the seat distance adjuster, which locks against the stamped teeth in the rail. However...the RIGHT rail remains lose, just sliding along. I am thinking it should in fact have a steel line driven lock (against the stamped rail teeth), working basically along the lines of what a bench seat does to synchronize the seat adjuster mechanism.

Sooo....the big question is: does anyone have a picture or an actual schematic of what the F/M/J-body driver side bucket seat rail setup looks like?

Both the '80 & '81 parts books show the individual adjusters and only the full set working together in a bench seat arrangement...but nothing for the bucket seat.
1980 Dodge Diplomat Coupe, 360-4bbl, 727, 3.91 SG motivated sleeper!
1981 Dodge Diplomat Coupe, /6 38K mi. survivor car, awaiting restoration.

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

fifthcrunch

• Dippy God
Re: Bucket seat rail schematic?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 08:49:12 »

I don't have the manual bucket seat in my fsm, so I will throw out a guess from other cars I have worked on.  There should be a rod that connects the two adjuster mechanism sides.  Is it hooked up?  Could it be jammed so that one side is not moving back to latch position?  Is it possible to put one side on backwards so that the holes are facing away from the latching tooth?  Is the spring missing from one side?  Good luck.

lsm360

• Dippy Oracle
  • Melbourne, FL
  • Facts can be stubborn things
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 14:47:41 »

I have bucket in my '89. Do you want me to see if I can light it up and take pics? It's installed, so I don't know how much you will be able to see, but I will give it a shot if you want. Mine is PS though. Will that be helpful?

Larry
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 15:20:31 by lsm360 »
'89 Diplomat S code AHB now with FI 410 C.I.D. smallblock
1979 Power Wagon 150 Short bed Factory 360-4
2010 Charger Pursuit 5.7

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 16:14:13 »

PS is different. Motor is in the middle and has a cable to each track.

S-type

• Dippy Oracle
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 21:46:56 »

Guys...I think I messed something up with the driver side bucket seat.

I have a front to back/side to side (diagonally) play in the seat. So imagine that you plant your butt in the seat, set it to the right distance, and yet the seat has 'wiggle' room...meaning that the left & right rails do not stay aligned.

As best as I can tell this is caused by the fact that only the LEFT rail has the seat distance adjuster, which locks against the stamped teeth in the rail. However...the RIGHT rail remains lose, just sliding along. I am thinking it should in fact have a steel line driven lock (against the stamped rail teeth), working basically along the lines of what a bench seat does to synchronize the seat adjuster mechanism.

Sooo....the big question is: does anyone have a picture or an actual schematic of what the F/M/J-body driver side bucket seat rail setup looks like?

Both the '80 & '81 parts books show the individual adjusters and only the full set working together in a bench seat arrangement...but nothing for the bucket seat.

It sounds like you are missing a spring that latches the rail. There should be a heavy wire from the outer rail latch to the inner one so when you pull the release, they both unlatch. The spring keeps the latch locked unless that wire pulls on it. I think.

M_Body_Coupe

• Dippy God
  • Windsor, ON, Canada
  • aka Diplomat360
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 09:45:24 »

Guys,

Here is what I have, and I am pretty sure (just not 100%) that these rails came out of a '80s Mirada (because that's what the buckets came out of).

Not the best photo, as I didn't want to bother with macro shots on the camera and there just wasn't much room for the built-in flash to light things up nicely:

But as you can see...there is no linkage of any sorts between the inner & outer rails. I have to say though, now that I've tightened down the seat rail nuts there is almost no play...in fact, enough so that I do not think I'm going to worry about this much more. Ideally, I wish Mopar did put a linkage (rod or steel line) between the 2 rails...it would absolutely prevent any type of movement.

fifthcrunch,
I had completely stripped the old rails that came out of a Mirada...they were cleaned up, re-painted, re-assembled. I know for sure nothing is binding...my only worry was that I left something out, either inadvertenly (memory's not what it used to be...LOL) or because the donor car was actually missing the piece.

Larry,
What I am curious about is the actual M-body bucket rail trim. If you had manual rails I'd absolutely pester you with a polite request to take as many photos as possible...but as Mike pointed out, the whole setup is different on the power seat.

If anyone does have a photo of a manual bucket seat rail arrangement in M-body, drop me a line. I can always re-work the stuff over the winter...
1980 Dodge Diplomat Coupe, 360-4bbl, 727, 3.91 SG motivated sleeper!
1981 Dodge Diplomat Coupe, /6 38K mi. survivor car, awaiting restoration.

lsm360

• Dippy Oracle
  • Melbourne, FL
  • Facts can be stubborn things
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 14:44:58 »

I do have the 60/40 split in my '88 AHB that is manual. I don't know if the 60/40 is the same as the true equal size buckets, but I can do my best to light it up and take some pics. I should be able to do it tomorrow, no problem. I am at work now.
'89 Diplomat S code AHB now with FI 410 C.I.D. smallblock
1979 Power Wagon 150 Short bed Factory 360-4
2010 Charger Pursuit 5.7

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 14:49:33 »

I think the tracks are the same between the bucket seat and the bigger size drivers one.
Hey Dariusz, what does the passenger side one look like? It should work the same way with the same style adjuster setup.
Pages: [1] |   Go Up