Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Change Lock Cylinder in Glove Box Door - Hidden Clip?  (Read 647 times)

dermohar

• Dippy Junkie
Change Lock Cylinder in Glove Box Door - Hidden Clip?
« on: July 30, 2017, 22:26:23 »

I went to change the glove box door in my 81 LeBaron coupe,  in order put in one in better condition.  I wanted to put the old lock cylinder in as its keyed the same as the car and I do not have the key for the cylinder in the 'newer' glove box door.

I thought I could take the two screws off at the back of the door that hold the latch on and somehow wiggle the lock cylinder out.  No such luck.  On both the new and old doors, the cylinders seem really stuck onto the latch mechanisms.  Is there a clip or something I'm missing?

Thxs

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
Re: Change Lock Cylinder in Glove Box Door - Hidden Clip?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 07:30:20 »

There's a trick to it and if you don't do it right the lock can come apart with all the tumblers falling out so do the one you don't care about first. It think it involves turning the knob a certain way to pop it off but it's been ages since I did one, and I screwed it up until I got the hang of it.

dermohar

• Dippy Junkie
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 07:55:14 »

I'll try it Mike.

Not too many M cars in the Ottawa area anymore?

Thxs

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 17:37:05 »

Nope. I dn't remember when the last time was I saw one driving around other then someone I know who still drives his daily. A friend of mine in Toronto had hers written off by a drunk driver while it was parked over night.
Pages: [1] |   Go Up