Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 |   Go Down

Author Topic: 85fifth's 85 Diplomat (aka Dorothy)  (Read 5272 times)

85fifth

• Dippy Die-Hard
  • Carver, MA
85fifth's 85 Diplomat (aka Dorothy)
« on: February 16, 2013, 13:04:05 »

1985 Dodge Diplomat "Dorothy" (Civi)- 318, Factory 2 BBL Lean Burn Carb w/ MP Ignition, Taylor Plug Wires, and MSD Coil. Soon to be 318, Eddy Intake+Cam, Catless Y.

85fifth

• Dippy Die-Hard
  • Carver, MA
Re: 85fifth's 85 Diplomat (aka Dorothy)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 13:06:17 »

This is my $650 baby! Love this car. Will get more pics soon, its undergoing major frontal surgery, it will eventually be sporting a 5th Ave grille and headlights. 8) I'm also purchasing the missing hubcap (have 3, 3 looks dumb I'd rather ride steelies) and the dented pass fender. My next steps are exhaust gaskets, and studs, paint of some sort, and a 4bbl or dakota rearend swap. FIRE AT WILL GUYS, love new ideas!
1985 Dodge Diplomat "Dorothy" (Civi)- 318, Factory 2 BBL Lean Burn Carb w/ MP Ignition, Taylor Plug Wires, and MSD Coil. Soon to be 318, Eddy Intake+Cam, Catless Y.

efriedrich

• Dippy Junkie
  • USA
  • M BODIES ROCK!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 13:10:23 »

Maybe rattle can the steelies silver and get some dog dishes from the junk yard..
1978 Chrysler LeBaron

Captain Caravelle

• Mopar Maniac
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Hogtown, Canada
  • I ain't sayin'...I'm just sayin'
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 13:38:16 »

Maybe rattle can the steelies silver and get some dog dishes from the junk yard..

Doggies....
Yeah!!    :thumb:
1978 Plymouth Caravelle 2 Door Boat Tail 225 Super Six
1980 Plymouth Volare 2 Door Coupe 225 Super Six
1987 Chrysler Fifth Ave. 318 Police Interceptor (Daily Driver)
2002 "toy"ota Scamry (Lady V's Daily Driver)

85fifth

• Dippy Die-Hard
  • Carver, MA
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 14:26:53 »

I was thinking more along the lines of some trim rings for 15'' rims. Not dog dishes, but trim rings like the d250's

Chavlics

• So Many Upgrades, So Little Money
  • Dippy God
  • Michigan
  • M-Body addict since 09
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 15:23:41 »

I was thinking more along the lines of some trim rings for 15'' rims. Not dog dishes, but trim rings like the d250's

Do both, trim rings look great with the doggies. Just look at arks car.
'85 Gran Fury 318 2bbl, Mopar Performance Ignition, Accel 8mm wires, trans cooler, semi-cop suspension.
1994 Mercury Grand Marquis--74k, 4.6L  Extremely clean luxury cruiser

85fifth

• Dippy Die-Hard
  • Carver, MA
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 16:30:31 »

For the paint I was considering a murdering out effect... Like SEM rustshield and some lacquer thinner for a classic hotrod black sheen. If I were to tint the windows and spraybomb the steelies gloss black (and the trim rings) and have everything all murdered out do you think it would be a good look for the car? Considering I don't have a pot to piss in and I can do a really nice flatblack for cheap $. Or should I be less original and go with a gloss black? The flatblack I will do myself, the gloss will be more expensive because I refuse to spray it on.

Chavlics

• So Many Upgrades, So Little Money
  • Dippy God
  • Michigan
  • M-Body addict since 09
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 16:33:48 »

The car color is your choice but if I was you I would gloss black the rims and leave the trim rings alone. Painting the trim rings would look really bad I think. Can't have everything black. Need something to break it up, it would look to plain and bland. But that's just my opinion.
'85 Gran Fury 318 2bbl, Mopar Performance Ignition, Accel 8mm wires, trans cooler, semi-cop suspension.
1994 Mercury Grand Marquis--74k, 4.6L  Extremely clean luxury cruiser

85fifth

• Dippy Die-Hard
  • Carver, MA
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 19:23:31 »

No I don't intend to paint the rings lol. I was thinking matte black the car, 5% tint the windows, gloss black the steelies, and then find trim rings. I wish the clear wasn't peeling   :roll:

Captain Caravelle

• Mopar Maniac
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Hogtown, Canada
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 19:52:40 »

Okay okay....I know...it's a chebbie.
I'm guilty,I did own a rotbox Craprice for a year
My winter beater and general sh*tbox.
Cheapest resto ever.
Painted it Tremclad flat black....with a roller.   :D
The bottom trim was trashed...went over it with foil tape.
Painted the rims gloss and "painted" the bolts chrome
Wasn't gonna blow any coin on that thing.
Got a year out of it and blew up the tranny.   :evil:
Always thought the skull hood ornament was a nice touch. 

P.S. If you don't want this POS posted on your showroom page
Just say so and I'll gladly remove it.
Just thought you'd get a kick out of it.

85fifth

• Dippy Die-Hard
  • Carver, MA
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 19:56:19 »

In regards to that, Cap'n I appreciate the pic. Unfortunetly the diplomat and the caprice (and the friggin crown vic, town car, grand marquis, and cutlass) look similar, and that gives me a really good idea as to how my car would look painted flatblack. I really like it, I think I might go "gung-ho" on the idea come spring time... With the addition of tinted windows I think it would really look trick, and then I can make it go vroom vroom! :evil:

Captain Caravelle

• Mopar Maniac
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Hogtown, Canada
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 20:09:55 »

They do look badass flat
I'd never do it to a nice car
But the Craprice? No problem.
Should have seen the look on all my neighbors faces when they saw me painting my car with a roller.

85fifth

• Dippy Die-Hard
  • Carver, MA
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 20:17:39 »

Don't get me wrong this car is nice... No visible rust, nothing poking through, and no rust even starting! I had a tough time opening the doors when I got it, but I greased up the hinges and the closing mechanisms and everything works mint, no squeaks, just effortless door-swinging. I'm getting all the peices I need to remedy the "butterface" (according to my buddy Jon "nice car, butterface" monday, and then I'll have a nice straight body, no dents or anything of the sort, and the 5th Ave style grille. However I don't have the money or the means of getting a really nice paint job, so I was considering getting the body back to normal (in the process of doing as I mentioned above) and then going nuts with the flatblack because the clear is peeling. Is this a good idea for a kid on a budget? I'd really like to shovel money into the drivetrain as opposed to the paint job  8| (ninja style)

Captain Caravelle

• Mopar Maniac
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Hogtown, Canada
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 20:25:26 »

Well I'm sure people will differ with me but...
If you're tight for money..why not?
If anything it'll save the car, it'll stop water from getting in via the lack of clear coat
It does look cool and it's dirt cheap.
Keep in mind though that raw flat will mark like a SOB
And it's not like you can really buff it.
And yes, IMO you're better off putting what money you have into the things that really need doing.
You can always make it pretty later.

spike

• StreeT SweepaZ
  • Dippy Oracle
  • sticks of wisconsin
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 17:28:19 »

if you ever plan on getting a nice paint job on it, DO NOT rattle can the car. and if you want the paint to look decent, get yourself a DA sander and sand it down good (doesnt have to be bare metal) so that you can get the flaking clear coat off (probably have to sand all the clear off, had to on the new box and doors for my truck) that way itll be all smooth and not have high spots where clear had flaked off. you can buzz it down quckly with 80 grit to get all the old flaking clear off, then go over it again with 180 before primer, then block sandwith 400 and shoot the color
Pages: [1] 2 3 |   Go Up