Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Build thread - 1979 Dodge Diplomat - AKA - "The Duplomat"  (Read 5775 times)

Backtobasics

• Dippy Regular
  • Kansas City
Update!
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2015, 09:14:31 »

I picked up a 360 this weekend!    Short block only, but total cost was $50.00!  It is a bit sludgy for my liking, but it should suffice nicely for a starting point.  This will probably get a hard core pressure wash, then a tear down, in preparation for machine work.  Plans are a partial fill with Hard Block (bottom 1/3 or so), basic overbore, deck clean up, line hone, etc.  ARP rod and main bolts, prepped stock rods (may check on Eagle through work) with the goal of a 360 that is .030 and capable of handling a shot of spray from time to time.  Cylinder heads and upper end to be determined, but likely will carry over the parts going into the 318 this weekend (cam kit, Torker intake, carb, and HEI ignition system).   Cylinder heads are the unknown at this point.  I am not sure I can justify the 1450.00 for a pair of Edelbrocks, so I might have to move to a set of the EQ cast iron heads.  Aerohead racing has options starting at from $550.00

fifthcrunch

• Dippy God
Re: Build thread - 1979 Dodge Diplomat - AKA - "The Duplomat"
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2015, 11:24:34 »

What are you doing for pistons?

Backtobasics

• Dippy Regular
  • Kansas City
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2015, 13:57:50 »

I haven't got that far.  I have to see what I have available through work.  I don't plan on spraying big numbers, so fresh cast units, with a conservative timing and nitrous tune, should be safe, and economical.  Forged are an option, but much more money.  I have visions of a single turbo system instead of nitrous, so I may go that direction instead, but probably forged pistons if the motor is going to see boost consistently.

Backtobasics

• Dippy Regular
  • Kansas City
Cam swap starts tonight!
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2015, 09:42:17 »

The cam / intake / carb / distributor  swap starts tonight! 

It timed itself well,  as the Thermoquad is starting to become unhappy in idle quality and fuel economy. 

Backtobasics

• Dippy Regular
  • Kansas City
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2015, 08:40:49 »

The cam, intake, and carb are installed.  I didn't know that Ma Mopar used different water necks on earlier small blocks.  That was a set back.  In addition, the second intake had thread damage to the water neck threads, so that took several trips to the hardware store to find the right bolts, plus trips to the parts store to acquire the right water neck and thermostat. Next up is to wire up the ignition with the HEI coil and module, and then figure out the throttle linkage.

Backtobasics

• Dippy Regular
  • Kansas City
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2015, 10:33:53 »

This car is challenging me.  I skipped the HEI conversion, I bought the wrong coil and module.  I skipped the process and went directly with a 66991 ProForm kit. 

Right now, everything is back on but the distributor, and the power steering.  This car had a smog pump, 318 with TQ, and AC.  The PS doesn't jive without the smog pump bracket. so I need to go to the junk yard, and pull a new PS setup.  I may break in the cam without it, just to get that done and some extra motivation.

Darth-Car

• Dippy Oracle
  • Ohio
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2015, 16:44:36 »

Good to see you back again.  Glad to hear you are still all over this car.
 :pics:
Until The Next Dimension,
The Admiral
Dayton, Ohio, USA

80 Lebaron Coupe

• 5 M Coupes
  • Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Diplomaniac Drive, East Texas.
  • Lebaron Coupe. Muscle with a touch of Class.
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2015, 17:16:40 »

This car is challenging me.
I have a feeling that you enjoy a challenge. :biggrin:
5 1980 & 81 M Coupes
88 Dodge Diplomat AHB
80 Plymouth Volare Duster
83 Dodge Mirada

Backtobasics

• Dippy Regular
  • Kansas City
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2015, 10:52:38 »

ITS ALIVE!

I drove it to work, today!

Final outcomes of the project:  Summit 454 lift 272 duration cam kit.  Edelbrock Torker intake (used).  Demon 750 carb.   HEI conversion, using MSD module and coil.  Electric fans, with Flex-a-lite controller. Flat black powdercoated valve covers. MSD street fire plug wires. 

Ditched AC compressor and Condenser, Smog Pump.   

Still need to be done:  Wiring cleanup, including ditching all AC and Lean Burn wiring.  Wire loom and electrical cleanup.  Need to lower the front end, as it is sitting WAY up compared to rear.

Backtobasics

• Dippy Regular
  • Kansas City
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2015, 11:03:55 »

Pictures to come. 

The throttle spring is a bit tight, I might have to loosen or go with a weaker spring..   Kickdown on trans needs adjusted.  I need to open the spark plug gap, still at .032.  I need to get breathers mounted, and hook up the PCV system.

The torque is amazing.  Right off idle.  Feels like 25% (best I can quantify) over stock.  The whole car moves better.  The move up to speed is effortless and easy.  It takes far less throttle than before to move it.

The car is breathing through 2.25 dual exhaust, with chambered "Flowmaster" knockoff mufflers, dumping at axle.  Cam is audible but not lopey.  It doesn't sound stock....

Backtobasics

• Dippy Regular
  • Kansas City
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2015, 11:10:32 »

I may be a glutton for punishment, but with the fans gone, there is a TON of room up front. 
I may put the 360 up on a stand an use it to mock up some moderate log turbo manifolds.    Something like this would let me clear everything comfortably.  They would need to be upswept, and join on passenger side for downpipe.

IMG_3088.JPG (62634 bytes)

Pages: 1 2 [3] |   Go Up