Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: chargincharles  (Read 3372 times)

chargincharles

• Dippy Junkie
chargincharles
« on: September 17, 2009, 00:54:13 »

Hello All,
Just wanted to introduce you to the car, and give you the details.
1982 New Yorker 5th Ave.  Black with Black 'formal' top, and light grey cloth interior. 
She has about 129,000 on her right now.  In Ohio, the title says the odo is beyond mechanical limits, so not real sure about the milage.
Factory Sunroof car- and it opens and closes fine, and (knock wood) doesn't leak.
Factory AM/FM 8-track.  Radio works, but the 8-track needs work.  Tried to replace it, but has the old style plugs and wiring, and since the amp and speakers work, I just deal with it. I use an FM tranmitter on my Ipod, and that seems to work fine.  Everything but the A/C works- compressor is disconnected from drivetrain at the moment..., so the power steering, window, and locks, as well as the power driver's seat, trunk release, etc all work fine.  Car was well taken care of, I can find NO rust on it at all- but that could be due to the fact these cars were heavily galvinized.  There are a few parking lot dings, the opera lights don't work (of course) and previous owner did damage the fiberglass front piece that holds the headlights/grille/etc.  He patched it back togather, but I'll need to replace it at some point.  It doesn't look bad or really even damaged unless you really look for it.  But the driver's side high beam points nearly straight down, and the adjustment points are all destroyed.  She drives just fine- no pulling or any trouble when you panic stop.  Just like any other old Chrysler I have owned it rides like a limo.

So far I have pulled the Lean Burn garbage off the car, replaced the cam with a nice Jegs cam, nothing to radical, actually just a 'torque' or RV profile.  Installed an old Weiand single plane Xcellorator intake that I have modified...along with a 1" 4-hole spacer and a Carter AVS from a 70 Dodge with a 383. Just had to rebuild the carb and do some minor tuning of the airdoor and it works just fine.  Rigged an electric choke from an old kit I had that dates from the seventies.... Installed a set of steel chrome valve covers, and a 14" chrome air cleaner.  I also installed a Accell HEI control unit (again, with help from the site) with a bracket out of a pickup, a MSD blaster coil and MSD wires/Accell cap and rotor, and a fresh set of Champions. Replaced the missing muffler and (cat?) with a nice Cherry Bomb turbo style muffler.  She runs nicely and purrs.  I replaced the missing hood ornament with one from a 90's imperial.  Looks nice out there..
Pulled the ISO rubber clamps and remounted the rear axle with the brackets under the axle and remounted hole- also per this website.  Works fine, and firmed things up a bit.  Previous owner towed a boat with this car, so he added helper springs and a hitch.  The rear bumper was shot, so replaced it with a rechromed one, and replaced the front with a nice used one from the youpullnpay.  Got rid of the hitch..her towing days are over.  Also replaced the taillights, grille, and headlight bezels with nicer ones from ebay and YPNP...  I then replaced the multi-function stalk with a NOS unit from ebay, and put on a new set of tires.  I have the original spare- Michelin, but it appears to have been used at one point.  Nice condition though... Factory alloy rims- these look like the ones they put on the Mirada or Cordoba.  I have yet to find a broadcast sheet or decode the fender tag, so not sure if they are original.  The spare is mounted on a plain black steel rim.

Up next is a B&M shift kit in the transmission, replacing the tattered headliner and doing some fun things with the gauges.  They all work, but I am installing a tach where the fuel gauge is now, and moving the fuel gauge to under the temp gauge.  I'll be using a modified factory face for the tach for the stealth/factory look.  I'm also going to mount a vac gauge, A/F gauge and oil pressure gauge.  I also need to install headers and a dual exhaust- per this website's recommendation, and find myself a different rear to install. The steering column is wobbly as hell at the tilt connection, so I need to find another column.  The wheel is decent though.  I'd like to find a complete set of leather seats and replace the cloth ones- the cloth ones are OK, but for a luxury car- you can't beat the 'fine Corinthian leather' thing....hehehe...and of course the 'glass on the nose, etc.  I also have a line on a set of rebuilt 302 heads that have been worked, so they might go on next, or I might just replace the tranny with a 727.  They are cheap on craigslist around here.  I have the driveshaft from a 8 1/4 car.  It was in the junkyard- a dippy cop car- rear was gone, but they forgot the driveshaft- so I got it!  Might swap in an exploder rear- but I don't know about what would be needed to adapt the U-joints, so I am sceptical...though exploder rears are cheap and plentiful around here- the suregrip and discs are worth doing this swap more than any other rears IMHO.

Pics to follow....if I can get photobucket to cooperate!
Enjoy!
Charles.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 22:48:14 by fjbfour »

chargincharles

• Dippy Junkie
Re: CharginCharles
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 01:29:01 »

These should be the pics-
The exterior shots were taken the day I got her home- so I have fixed the nose, recovered the 'B' pillars and done a few other things.  I'll shoot some current shots and post them later...

Enjoy!
CC.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 01:31:22 by chargincharles »

chargincharles

• Dippy Junkie
Re: chargincharles
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 00:10:37 »

Hellooo All,
Been awhile and I thought it was due for a little update.
The car is VERY different from when I posted these images years ago.
First off, I've replaced a lot.  Yes- the headliner was done, as was the busted up front end....
I replaced the driver's door as well- little 'accident' that happened about a year ago.
And for some fun- I ghost flamed the hood and rear decklid.
I'm thinking of doing the sides, but haven't decided.
I also blacked out the headlight surrounds.
Here are the pics:

These are the only 'cosmetic upgrades' I've done...
The rest- well,I've kinda been posting all along as I went, so you can check those posts for the mechanical parts.

Hope everyone is well..
CC.

Captain Caravelle

• Mopar Maniac
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Hogtown, Canada
  • I ain't sayin'...I'm just sayin'
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 09:15:56 »

Wow!
Love the ghost flames.
The car looks amazing!
Personal preference...but if it were me I wouldn't flame the sides.
It looks killer the way it is.
Nice work.
1978 Plymouth Caravelle 2 Door Boat Tail 225 Super Six
1980 Plymouth Volare 2 Door Coupe 225 Super Six
1987 Chrysler Fifth Ave. 318 Police Interceptor (Daily Driver)
2002 "toy"ota Scamry (Lady V's Daily Driver)

80 Lebaron Coupe

• 5 M Coupes
  • Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Diplomaniac Drive, East Texas.
  • Lebaron Coupe. Muscle with a touch of Class.
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 13:40:28 »

Excellent! :thumb:
Love the Colors & Wheels.
I'm not a fan of flames in the general sence.
But those are cool and you have to look for them.
Not like flames that jump out and slap you in the face.
Great Job Charles!
5 1980 & 81 M Coupes
88 Dodge Diplomat AHB
80 Plymouth Volare Duster
80 & 83 Dodge Miradas

spike

• StreeT SweepaZ
  • Dippy Oracle
  • sticks of wisconsin
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 13:55:52 »

Looks great!
And I'm a sucker for black 5th aves with moonroofs
Can't wait to get the moonroof installed in my 5th
And I'm with the capt, I wouldn't flame the sides
I'd also swap out the headlight Bezels back to chrome

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 17:03:03 »

Don't know about the flames but I like the imperial hood ornament.

MoparDan

• M addict since '06
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Daytona Beach, FL
  • Rock On!
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 17:50:21 »

I love those flames! :cool:
The driver of a 1985 Plymouth Gran Fury Salon called The Cherry Bomb
"Paint it red"-Sammy Hagar
"Its like a carburetor instigator"-Quiet Riot
"I need a shot of gasoline"-Cinderella

Captain Caravelle

• Mopar Maniac
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Hogtown, Canada
  • I ain't sayin'...I'm just sayin'
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 18:33:54 »

I love those flames! :cool:

Same here.
Regular flames I think would look stupid.
But those ghost flames against the black look wicked.
I really like that you left them off the center of the hood too....nice touch.
1978 Plymouth Caravelle 2 Door Boat Tail 225 Super Six
1980 Plymouth Volare 2 Door Coupe 225 Super Six
1987 Chrysler Fifth Ave. 318 Police Interceptor (Daily Driver)
2002 "toy"ota Scamry (Lady V's Daily Driver)

partyinthe5thave

• Dippy God
  • Oxford Ny
  • The Fif
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 23:29:18 »

dan your car would look awesome with some ghost flames.
'87 5th Ave, Grey. 90k Eddy 650 CFM 4bbl, Eddy intake, Mopar Perf ignition, stock roller reground to 410/425-Mild,Canadian Y pipe, single 2.5" exhaust.
Pages: [1] |   Go Up