Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] |   Go Down

Author Topic: wheel bearings?  (Read 2296 times)

MoparDan

• M addict since '06
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Daytona Beach, FL
  • Rock On!
Re: wheel bearings?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2020, 23:24:34 »

as you can see the caliper has a little damage in the corner, is it ok to keep using?
The driver of a 1985 Plymouth Gran Fury Salon called The Cherry Bomb
"Paint it red"-Sammy Hagar
"Its like a carburetor instigator"-Quiet Riot
"I need a shot of gasoline"-Cinderella

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

MoparDan

• M addict since '06
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Daytona Beach, FL
  • Rock On!
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2020, 23:54:47 »

So the spindle looks ok, if it doesn't please let me know. I have another question: I've never replaced brakes in my life, but I found taking the brake apart (and putting it back together) to be very easy, so I'm considering doing them myself. My one concern are the bearings, many years ago she needed brakes and to save me money my brother did them, he's done brakes before (but mainly on Chevy pick-ups) anyways he did something wrong with the bearings, and I ended up having to go to a garage to have them completely redone. So how hard are the bearings to do? and is there some trick to them? I also have afew questions about the calipers: when I started to put things back together I couldn't get it on with both pads on, I had to push part of the caliper back in by putting it the on rotor with one pad and use a screw driver to push it back, I know that can't be the right way to do it, so what is? Next question: I knew enough not to let the caliper hang buy the hose and the only thing I could think of was to let it rest on the frame rail (see picture) is there a better way? Last question: when I was putting the screws back on it would move until the bolts were tight-there was no clear spot where it was supposed to be, how would I know?

DobaMark

• Administrator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Pittsburgh
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2020, 05:48:29 »

Some thoughts to help:
A new rotor will likely already have bearing races installed. races are the hard part.
Spindle does look good.
I would replace the caliper. There is a special tool to push the caliper piston in. or you can use a C clamp and the old brake pad to do it. You should loose then master cylinder cap while doing this.
The trick to servicing the bearings is to really get the grease in to them before installing. There is a seal behind the rear one. Be careful installing it.
Then you tighten the bearing down while spinning the wheel. I was always told you tighten them down until you just start to feel some drag. Then loosen and make it finger tight. Tight enough there is no slop, but not too tight..

GertrudesFifthAve

• Dippy Groupie
  • Warwick, RI
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2020, 17:15:50 »

What Mark said above is right on.  New rotor will have the races in it already.  New rear seal and bearings are probably available from Rock, but I haven't checked.  Watch a video on YT on how to pack a bearing with grease - any old timer can show you how too.  You want to make sure you have all the washers/retainers and put it together in the right order.  The shop manual will have a diagram.  Tighten as Mark suggested.   I would replace the caliper also.  All in all, not too bad of a job.  Fred

MoparDan

• M addict since '06
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Daytona Beach, FL
  • Rock On!
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2020, 20:16:00 »

As soon as I get the relief money (or whatever its called) I'm buying the parts and I've got someone who going to replace them, Mary Ellen doesn't want me to do it...
Pages: 1 [2] |   Go Up