Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Power Window Doors  (Read 1401 times)

Thohean

• Dippy Groupie
  • Houston, Texas
Power Window Doors
« on: August 29, 2020, 20:36:29 »

I'm currently transplanting the interior of my old car into a new car, but the new one has power windows and the old one has manual windows. I looked at the power window doors and see that some of the power window mechanism is riveted in, but others are bolted.

The old doors are in better condition than the new doors, so the question is:

Can I transplant the guts of the power doors into the manual doors or are the frames too different? If it's not worth the effort, I can get the new doors fixed, but that's money I'd rather not spend, if I don't have to.
http://thohean.myftp.org  --  Restoration progress of the 1987 Texas Parks and Wildlife AHB Diplomat

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

MoparDan

• M addict since '06
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Daytona Beach, FL
  • Rock On!
Re: Power Window Doors
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 21:32:47 »

I know someone who did it and he said its NOT worth the effort...! I have kind of the opposite problem my M has manual windows and was T-boned the right doors are not fixable and the only Ms I can find near me always have power windows :doh:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 21:33:38 by MoparDan »
The driver of a 1985 Plymouth Gran Fury Salon called The Cherry Bomb
"Paint it red"-Sammy Hagar
"Its like a carburetor instigator"-Quiet Riot
"I need a shot of gasoline"-Cinderella

DobaMark

• Administrator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Pittsburgh
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 06:47:45 »

It's not that difficult to swap. You drill out the rivets so you can remove the assembly.
When you install the new assembly, you can use bolts - but be sure the bolts are not hitting anything as the window moves up and down. Rivets were likely used for ease of installation when the car door was assembled new.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 06:55:31 by DobaMark »

GertrudesFifthAve

• Dippy Groupie
  • Warwick, RI
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 06:07:42 »

I remember changing the window actuators in one of my mopars years ago.  When you have the door panels off of each door that you are doing the swap with, take a good look at the mounting points for each actuator and also make note of where the wire bundle runs.  I can't guarantee that the stamping of the inner doors are exactly the same from year to year, however I would bet that they are.  When I did it, I was able to get the correct rivets and a big rivet installer which made it really easy to fasten everything in place.  The hardest and most important part is putting the actuator in the correct position to get through the access holes and then lined up with the track on the glass. This is especially important with the electric windows because it is hard to make small adjustments to its position without hooking up 12v. (Be careful of your fingers!) There is a position that will allow installation without fiddling with it mid-stream.  Once in place, install the rivets.  Finally, adjust the sweep so the glass stops in the correct position both up and down.  It can be frustrating, but it's doable.

volare 77

• On the path...
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 14:06:52 »

I only remember seeing my old stuff from the 70`s with rivets holding them on. Not too hard to do.  I am thinking maybe the ones with bolts may have been apart before as most people use bolts instead. You can still get the rivets but most will need the large rivet gun to install them.

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 22:22:15 »

The hardest part of job is maneuvering the assembly out of the door. The rest should be pretty straight forward especially these days when it's easy to take pictures of everything before it comes apart.
Pages: [1] |   Go Up