Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Magnum engine swap  (Read 657 times)

spike

• StreeT SweepaZ
  • Dippy Oracle
  • sticks of wisconsin
Magnum engine swap
« on: December 13, 2018, 00:33:27 »

I know it's been done, but I can't remember by who and can't find it in a search. But I'm thinking about putting a 91 magnum 318 in my 87 winter beater. I'm going to be keeping it fuel injected and wondering what the hood clearance is like with the kegger intake, if a regular 14x3 air cleaner will fit under the hood, or if a whole will need to be made. Also thinking on putting a nv3500 5spd in and a Dana 35 rear axle (still need to investigate the gears on that). Need to make this slow rusty pig enjoyable

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

80 Lebaron Coupe

• 5 M Coupes
  • Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Diplomaniac Drive, East Texas.
  • Lebaron Coupe. Muscle with a touch of Class.
Re: Magnum engine swap
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 09:52:38 »

270SE did it in his F Body
5 1980 & 81 M Coupes
88 Dodge Diplomat AHB
80 Plymouth Volare Duster
80 & 2-83 Dodge Miradas

spike

• StreeT SweepaZ
  • Dippy Oracle
  • sticks of wisconsin
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 11:46:06 »

Hopefully he'll chime in

270SE

• The Other F-body (the one that's fast)
  • Dippy Oracle
  • NC
  • Vinyl, woodgrain, and shag- that's an interior
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 15:11:27 »

270SE did it in his F Body
I have an M1 intake with the adapter for the factory TB. I had to use a Jeep GC air hat to clear the hood- even the Dakota/Durango one didn't really clear with the M1 adapted. Clearance may be a little better with the kegger, but I have one and a spare TB I got with it (for the sensors) so I can compare it to the M1's overall height in a few days. Using the underhood fusebox from the truck and the wiring back to the transmission/O2s (even if you leave them unplugged grab them) makes it very easy- the 12v key on has to be tied to the body's ignition, the fuel pump needs to be tied in to the Mag harness, and other than that it's just connecting the positive to the negative. We used a factory Durango throttle/kickdown. I have an RV2 and LA accessories but I still haven't fixed the car's other issues to really drive it much. (it runs good and pulls strong)

with '91 you sure it's a Magnum? '91s were 318 TBI with the Magnum and the SMPI coming out for the '92 model year. TBI would also be a roller cam 318 pig.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 15:13:48 by 270SE »

DobaMark

• Dippy Oracle
  • Pittsburgh
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 15:32:21 »

1991 is just TBI.
1992 is Magnum for 3.9 and 5.2
1993 is Magnum 5.9.

spike

• StreeT SweepaZ
  • Dippy Oracle
  • sticks of wisconsin
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 00:54:11 »

Thanks for the info,  I know the keggers are pretty tall so figured hood clearance was gonna be minimal to non excistent, so I've already got a idea for that. Figured I'll run an inline fuel pump, it's just gonna be the wiring that's going to fight me  as I absolutely hate it.  The truck was advertised as a 91 so I figured that's what it was when I bought it (no title), but I bought it for the teams to put in the lowrider 5th (13" tires and 3.08 gears aren't a good match) so I'll either use the non lockup 904 from the lowrider 5th or put a nv3500 in that I have layin around, the 904 would be the smart/easy route,  but the 5spd would make it fun

spike

• StreeT SweepaZ
  • Dippy Oracle
  • sticks of wisconsin
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 01:05:26 »

Without going and digging it out, it's definitely a magnum engine. I did swap the air cleaner lid after I got it and hung the "dodge magnum" lid on the garage wall

270SE

• Dippy Oracle
  • NC
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 10:54:44 »

Thanks for the info,  I know the keggers are pretty tall so figured hood clearance was gonna be minimal to non excistent, so I've already got a idea for that. Figured I'll run an inline fuel pump, it's just gonna be the wiring that's going to fight me  as I absolutely hate it.  The truck was advertised as a 91 so I figured that's what it was when I bought it (no title), but I bought it for the teams to put in the lowrider 5th (13" tires and 3.08 gears aren't a good match) so I'll either use the non lockup 904 from the lowrider 5th or put a nv3500 in that I have layin around, the 904 would be the smart/easy route,  but the 5spd would make it fun
There won't be too much wiring to do so long as you run the underhood fuse box. I did the inline filter/corvette regulator route since mine is a returnless system. All of the early 360s had a return and I think the early 318 Mags may have. The OBD-Is are really easy to convert to OBD-II if you use a '96 since most of the sensors are the same but in a beater that just shouldn't matter.

Without going and digging it out, it's definitely a magnum engine. I did swap the air cleaner lid after I got it and hung the "dodge magnum" lid on the garage wall
I figured it might be one of those deals where it isn't really the year it was advertised as. '91 was the first year of the 6 lugs if I recall so there's not a lot of exterior differences. Those early trucks have really good exhaust manifolds.

Next up- Dana 35. You have one and what do you need to investigate about gears?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 10:56:22 by 270SE »

80 Lebaron Coupe

• 5 M Coupes
  • Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Diplomaniac Drive, East Texas.
  • Lebaron Coupe. Muscle with a touch of Class.
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 11:11:13 »

I put that same air cleaner lid on my 81 SWB D150 with a 77 Fury E58 Police 360.

It looks cool on a dual snorkel sitting on a thermoquad.
5 1980 & 81 M Coupes
88 Dodge Diplomat AHB
80 Plymouth Volare Duster
80 & 2-83 Dodge Miradas

lsm360

• Dippy Oracle
  • Melbourne, FL
  • Facts can be stubborn things
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 16:03:45 »

Spike? Spike who? :D  Dang it's been awhile!
'89 Diplomat S code AHB now with FI 410 C.I.D. smallblock
1979 Power Wagon 150 Short bed Factory 360-4
2010 Charger Pursuit 5.7

spike

• StreeT SweepaZ
  • Dippy Oracle
  • sticks of wisconsin
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 02:11:54 »

There won't be too much wiring to do so long as you run the underhood fuse box. I did the inline filter/corvette regulator route since mine is a returnless system. All of the early 360s had a return and I think the early 318 Mags may have. The OBD-Is are really easy to convert to OBD-II if you use a '96 since most of the sensors are the same but in a beater that just shouldn't matter.
I figured it might be one of those deals where it isn't really the year it was advertised as. '91 was the first year of the 6 lugs if I recall so there's not a lot of exterior differences. Those early trucks have really good exhaust manifolds.

Next up- Dana 35. You have one and what do you need to investigate about gears?

Yeah I figured I'd ruin the whole engine harness from the Dakota, I'll have to look it over and see what wires I'll need to use to run it. I know 91 was the year 6 lug came out on em, and still don't understand why, woulda been so much easier to just keep using the 5 lug stuff.  Yeah I got a 99 cherokee sitting in my yard, I just want sure what gears were in it, but I crawled under it the other day to measure leaf spring width and it still had the tag on the cover so it's got 3.55s... that with the mag engine and 5spd should make it a pretty fun beater

spike

• StreeT SweepaZ
  • Dippy Oracle
  • sticks of wisconsin
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 02:13:24 »

Spike? Spike who? :D  Dang it's been awhile!
Every now and then I'll pop in unexpectedly :whist:

lsm360

• Dippy Oracle
  • Melbourne, FL
  • Facts can be stubborn things
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2018, 12:57:02 »

Every now and then I'll pop in unexpectedly :whist:
Well it's always nice to hear from you and see what you're wrenching on!
'89 Diplomat S code AHB now with FI 410 C.I.D. smallblock
1979 Power Wagon 150 Short bed Factory 360-4
2010 Charger Pursuit 5.7

270SE

• Dippy Oracle
  • NC
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2018, 15:19:58 »

Yeah I figured I'd ruin the whole engine harness from the Dakota, I'll have to look it over and see what wires I'll need to use to run it. I know 91 was the year 6 lug came out on em, and still don't understand why, woulda been so much easier to just keep using the 5 lug stuff.  Yeah I got a 99 cherokee sitting in my yard, I just want sure what gears were in it, but I crawled under it the other day to measure leaf spring width and it still had the tag on the cover so it's got 3.55s... that with the mag engine and 5spd should make it a pretty fun beater
Sounds about right.

spike

• StreeT SweepaZ
  • Dippy Oracle
  • sticks of wisconsin
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2018, 16:59:53 »

Well it's always nice to hear from you and see what you're wrenching on!
Can't stop won't stop :D
Pages: [1] |   Go Up