Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: 8 1/4 sure grip from 94 cherokee?  (Read 1052 times)

79dodge4ever

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • windsor NS Canada
8 1/4 sure grip from 94 cherokee?
« on: August 18, 2010, 10:06:41 »

hey guys, I have the chance to pick up a 94 cherokee locally that runs and can be driven home for $100 obo, it has the 4.0 L straight 6 fuel injected and 8 1/4 differential. the guy swears its sure grip. how do I tell? I found this in the achives:

"Identification of Sure-Grip differential assembly can easily be made by lifting both rear wheels off the ground and turning them. If both rear wheels turn in the same direction simultaneously, the vehicle is equipped with a Sure-Grip Differential. Another means of identification is by removing the filler plug and using a flashlight to look through the filler plug hole to identify the type of differential case"

but it doesn't say if you do that in park or neutral, I assume neutral. the jeep is only 2wd if that helps. I was wondering how much work it is to put one of these rear ends into a M body or F body? I remember it being meationed before but I can't seem to find the thread. pics would be appreciated
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 10:12:25 by 79dodge4ever »
When told the reason for daylight savings time an old Indian said, “only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket”

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

DobaMark

• Dippy Oracle
  • Pittsburgh
Re: 8 1/4 sure grip from 94 cherokee?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 10:10:13 »

If the Jeep has a tag with option codes on it, look for DSA as it's the code for Sure Grip.
Otherwise, lift the rear wheels off the ground and spin one of the tires by hand.  If the other tire goes the same direction, it is a Sure Grip.  If it goes the opposite direction it is not.

It won't be a bolt in, you will have to weld perches.
The Cherokee axle has perches on the top (it mounts below the leaf spring) while the M body has perches on the bottom (it mounts above the leaf spring) so even if the perch width was Ok, they are in the wrong place.  The total axle widths are supposed to be very close, so you should have no issues there.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 10:14:38 by DobaMark »

79dodge4ever

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • windsor NS Canada
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 15:15:19 »

Bump... anyone do this swap?
When told the reason for daylight savings time an old Indian said, “only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket”

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 17:18:51 »

I thought someone did. Do a search and see what info comes up.

MarkM

• Dippy Oracle
  • Michigan
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 17:36:08 »

I thought someone did. Do a search and see what info comes up.

The guy's name was Jason right?  Lives in Canada and did the swap to a 5A.  Wound up selling the 5A off and bought a Magnum.

Or was a Ford Exploder rear end?
87' Fifth Avenue - 512/518/8.75 - built for twisties

mopar 318

• Dippy Die-Hard
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 20:49:36 »

I just finished installing a 8 1/4 rear from a cherokee into my fifth. What questions do you have?

79dodge4ever

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • windsor NS Canada
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 07:15:18 »

I just finished installing a 8 1/4 rear from a cherokee into my fifth. What questions do you have?

how do you tell if its sure grip without pulling the cover, (in neutal or park with wheels raised?) and do you have to remove and relocate the spring brakcets? how do you know when you pinion angle is good. sorry for all the questions just a little curious

DobaMark

• Dippy Oracle
  • Pittsburgh
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 07:22:04 »

how do you tell if its sure grip without pulling the cover, (in neutal or park with wheels raised?)
If the Jeep has a tag with option codes on it, look for DSA as it's the code for Sure Grip.
Otherwise, lift the rear wheels off the ground and spin one of the tires by hand.  If the other tire goes the same direction, it is a Sure Grip.  If it goes the opposite direction it is not.

mopar 318

• Dippy Die-Hard
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 18:01:09 »

On the jeep rear there are shock mounts and spring perchs, both of which have to be removed. I used a angle grinder with a grinding disc and just ground off the weld that surrounds the mounts, then beat them off with a hammer. I also removed the ones off of the 7 1/4 rear since they will be reused on the jeep rear. It is hard to explain the method I used to get the pinion angle, but I recommend getting a shop to set this for you. Mine as of now is not perfect and it vibrates slightly at higher speeds. Another important note is that the jeep pinion requires a 1310 series u joint and straps. I got a combination u joint that goes from 7260 to 1310. Remeber that the drive shaft will have to be shortened about 2 inchs or so.
Pages: [1] |   Go Up