Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Carb issues  (Read 2895 times)

jasonz

• Dippy Junkie
Carb issues
« on: January 03, 2008, 23:26:03 »

I have recently replaced my tired truck carb with a rebuilt from a good source rebushed shfts, resurfaced baseplate etc.
The problem I have is, just off idle it will bog down a little bit then then once I accel. a little more it will clear up and be fine(rich condition?). Idle is great, WOT is great with the exception of an occasional hiccup that seems to be fuel starvation. (new pump?) This is a 64000 mile motor could the pump be worn enough to cause problems with the carb?? or does anyone know of a way to adjust the off-idle on my carb? I am waiting for a reply from the remanufacturer
Eagles may soar but weasels dont get caught in jet engines

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

mopar 318

• Dippy Die-Hard
Re: Carb issues
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 23:44:22 »

sounds like the accelerator pump on the carb is out of adjustment, what kind of carb is it?

S-type

• Dippy Oracle
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 14:52:16 »

If it stumbles at the hit, it could be the accelerator pump. It could be engine timing too. If it surges off idle, it could be float levels. More than likely, you need to balance the idle and cruise circuits. Get a vacum gauge and set the carb up right. You may have to play with the jets and metering rods to get it right, but it will be well worth it in the end.

I picked up a lot of power by removing a 750CFM Holley and replacing it with a 600 CFM Edelbrock on my 440. It took a while to tune it, but it has a lot more power (and better mileage) now that the carb is tuned to what the motor wants, not what the carb was made for.

jasonz

• Dippy Junkie
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 16:13:20 »

It is from an 85-87 dodge truck, light duty version
Eagles may soar but weasels dont get caught in jet engines
Pages: [1] |   Go Up