Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: ..and those last 2 leads go where?  (Read 1659 times)

cbodymoparfan

• The Monster- It's ALIVE!
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Connecticut
  • CopCar Fanatic-Saving them for the Next Generation
..and those last 2 leads go where?
« on: July 05, 2010, 11:10:00 »

Trying to finish up the electronic ignition conversion. All set except for finding those 2 leads (Start and Run) that come off the ballast. Can someone simplify? 82 dippy

https://www.dippy.org/forum2/index.php/topic,56.0.html
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 11:27:14 by cbodymoparfan »
1984 Gran Diplomat AHB - E. HTFD P.D.
1989 Dodge Dippy- former Tenn.H.P.
1973 Ply Fury I CSP Clone

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

dodge97318j

• Dippy Junkie
  • upstate ny
Re: ..and those last 2 leads go where?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 11:29:54 »

the bulkhead connector is where i spliced into the blue wire (ignition feed). run that wire to where you are putting the resistor. once its there, you can splice in the wire coming from the box to it and crimp a spade connector to plug them all into the resistor. the start wire you need to splice into the relay. did you follow the link for the ignition convertion? its all there. you probably have the the type of relay that dosent need  the bypass done.

79dodge4ever

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • windsor NS Canada
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 14:27:26 »

the way the factory wires it is the RUN wire  goes to the large blue wire where it splices back into the oil pressure sending unit by the distributor, or you can go to the blue on the alternator(same blue just easier to find) the start one goes to the  terminal just above the starter relay wire (lean burn cars have nothing hooked here) take a test light and have someone turn the key to start (enigne rolling over)and with a test light touched to the terminal above the relay wire it should only light when the car cranks over, this wire gives battery voltage until car starts
When told the reason for daylight savings time an old Indian said, “only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket”

cbodymoparfan

• Dippy Oracle
  • Connecticut
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 18:52:14 »

the bulkhead connector is where i spliced into the blue wire (ignition feed). run that wire to where you are putting the resistor. once its there, you can splice in the wire coming from the box to it and crimp a spade connector to plug them all into the resistor. the start wire you need to splice into the relay. did you follow the link for the ignition convertion? its all there. you probably have the the type of relay that dosent need  the bypass done.

I followed the diagram to a T. Just looking for those last two. I am going to download the GIF image on the link as it provides more info than the paperwork I received.

It does not look like there rae any empty plugs around the ig relay. Need to study a bit harder...

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 20:34:02 »

If you read my comments in that link you had it says it all- If you unplug the starter relay there are labels on it and one says something like BAL. That's where the start wire goes. Run goes to almost any dark blue wire under the hood. I used the one going to the plug for the computer because it is right there and dones't do anything anymore after you get rid of the computer.

cbodymoparfan

• Dippy Oracle
  • Connecticut
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 06:31:45 »

Thanks Mike, will do! Pannicking a little just due to the amount of wiring left over that will not be used. There is more unused wire now there that I am trying to tape up instead of cutting VS what will actually will be used, especially with the mover to an Eddie intake and non LB carb. Aside from the temp and oil gauge, all those "sensers" have been put in a box in my attic never to be opened again.

Plus the fact that I oversprayed wires when doing the engine compartment so they are all Glacier Blue Metallic......

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 01:21:22 »

On my 360 car I had to splice in the engine harness from a 1979 to make the 360s computer setup work. So when I changed it to the normal ignition after that it seemed pretty easy At first I just unplugged the computer and had its wiring wrapped around the support rod that goes to the fire wall and left everything else alone. For me the gif image in that link was the easiest way to figure out the wiring. That is a lot of it that you can get rid of without the computer!

cbodymoparfan

• Dippy Oracle
  • Connecticut
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 17:37:36 »

SHE"S ALIVE!! Pretty much fired right up though I had the firing order off 1 plug wire on the rotor. Figured that out when the #6 (or whatever) plug was firing at TDC. So moved them all over one space and timed the motor. A couple exhaust leaks to contend with just to get it to qiet down a little. Going to dump the oil now the new cam has run for a bit. Running a little hot for my liking so I will keep an eye on it. Does not help it was stuck in a 100 degree garage the whole time.
Pages: [1] |   Go Up