Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] |   Go Down

Author Topic: DTSNEO6's 84 Gran Fury AHB  (Read 47314 times)

DTSNEO6

• Dippy Die-Hard
  • TX
Re: DTSNEO6's 84 Gran Fury AHB
« Reply #150 on: May 25, 2017, 17:17:31 »

So i was poking around the engine. I noticed that the computer coolant temperature sensor is mounted on the #8 intake runner where the charge temperature switch usually is. (note my vehicle does NOT have the charge temp switch) i just found it odd that it
is a coolant sensor is not mounted where coolant is. The FSM says it should be mounted on the front left of the intake manifold.

I was going to move it but there are plugs on the intake manifold with a square drive too small for 3/8 drive and too big for 1/4 inch drive anyone know what driver I would need to remove these plugs so i can move the sensor?

The FSM says to test the sensor hook an ohmmeter to the two terminals at normal operating temp and it should be above 1300 OHMS. My sensor reads well below that. I have a new one being deliver tomorrow since it was cheap. But i still think it should be mounted on the front left of the engine.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 17:21:32 by DTSNEO6 »
Ex NHP 1984 Plymouth Gran Fury. WIP...
1987 Plymouth Gran Fury civvie.
1986 Dodge Diplomat

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

DTSNEO6

• Dippy Die-Hard
  • TX
« Reply #151 on: May 27, 2017, 11:04:20 »

Upon further research on the 5.2 with a 4bbl and some trucks the coolant sensor is in the place of the CTS on the #8 runner. So all is normal. The other manual i read also said that the sensor does not need to read more than 1300 OHMS. so i'm still checking it.

On another note i note there was water poring from under the HVAC system. noticed the drain was clogged. and with 87% humidity that was a problem so i removed the drain angle on engine compartment and thoroughly cleaned it. should alleviate the issue.

After much tinkering she doesn't idle perfect in gear but more than manageable. So i happy for the moment.
1986 Dodge Diplomat

DTSNEO6

• Dippy Die-Hard
  • TX
« Reply #152 on: July 10, 2017, 10:13:57 »

Recently, there has been some talk about the Walker 40430 pipes. I am adamant on keeping the lean burn and all that came with the car, including the air pump

I was curious if switching out the pre-cat assembly with the 40430 pipes, or having a shop fabricate something similar would there be much of an increase and power and would it cause undue stress on the downstream catalytic converter?
1986 Dodge Diplomat

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
« Reply #153 on: July 10, 2017, 17:15:29 »

The coolant sensor at the back is for the computer. THe one for the gauge is pretty much alwyas at the very front of the intake under the AC compressor area. It has a black angled plug with a single wire coming off it, I think usually pink.

Unless the cats are clogged removing them makes no real difference in power. A good exhaust shop should be able to make the pipe but if you are going the buy it yourself route you might aswell get it while you can.

DTSNEO6

• Dippy Die-Hard
  • TX
« Reply #154 on: July 31, 2019, 08:44:23 »

So for a while now I have had the wrong location marked for TDC it was probably maybe 10 degrees off. I thought it was right a while back but since I was having trouble yesterday with a rough idle I figured it was time to check again.

So yesterday I took the time with the help of the wife and found TDC for cylinder 1 with the tried and true remove spark plug and cover it with my finger trick.

I marked the location and retimed the engine and she is as smooth as glass, even in gear...lol

Still have a small vacuum link im hoping to sort out today.
1986 Dodge Diplomat

DobaMark

• Administrator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Pittsburgh
« Reply #155 on: July 31, 2019, 10:50:16 »

Recently, there has been some talk about the Walker 40430 pipes. I am adamant on keeping the lean burn and all that came with the car, including the air pump

I was curious if switching out the pre-cat assembly with the 40430 pipes, or having a shop fabricate something similar would there be much of an increase and power and would it cause undue stress on the downstream catalytic converter?
Years ago, probably 20 years, I had a crack at the Y pipe in a 318 powered 1981 Cordoba. The muffler shop pointed out to me that it was perfectly EPA legal to remove the 3 catalyst setup and use a single modern (at the time) converter. They told me I'd surely see power and economy gains. So I had them do the work. The muffler was bad too, so it was new from manifolds to the tip of the exhaust. No shop at the time was going to remove the converter especially as they were predicting the area where I lived would be added to the etest system soon.
And guess what? The car ran exactly as it did before. Gas mileage stayed exactly the same. I didn't have emission tests to measure what came out of the tailpipe so I don't know if it was better or worse. So my guess is unless one or more of your converters are restricted (and they could be if the engine ran rich or had a prolonged misfire) you won't see much, if any, difference swapping out to the plain Y pipe.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 10:51:19 by DobaMark »

DTSNEO6

• Dippy Die-Hard
  • TX
« Reply #156 on: August 01, 2019, 22:04:10 »

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably leave it unless I find the cats are restricted, but I don't feel they are. Good looking out.

Still looking for the vacuum leak, it's proving to be elusive...lol
1986 Dodge Diplomat
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] |   Go Up