Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Driving a Chrysler M-body car in 2020  (Read 2480 times)

wolfsblood07

• Dippy Groupie
  • Arizona
Driving a Chrysler M-body car in 2020
« on: October 21, 2020, 21:44:18 »

Wanted to throw this question out to you guys: What do people say about your car when they first see it nowadays (coworkers, neighbors, strangers, oil change techs, etc.)?
I missed my chance to own an M-body myself but I love them and research them online every chance I get.  They are becoming scarce, that is for sure.  I did take a mid-80s Gran Fury on a short test drive once, at least I got that.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 17:06:35 by wolfsblood07 »

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

MoparDan

• M addict since '06
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Daytona Beach, FL
  • Rock On!
Re: Driving a Chysler M-body car in 2020
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 10:28:07 »

Nice car, that car must float down the road,
 those seats look comfortable, my dad had one of those, I used to have one wished I'd kept it, things like that. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 10:28:56 by MoparDan »
The driver of a 1985 Plymouth Gran Fury Salon called The Cherry Bomb
"Paint it red"-Sammy Hagar
"Its like a carburetor instigator"-Quiet Riot
"I need a shot of gasoline"-Cinderella

wolfsblood07

• Dippy Groupie
  • Arizona
Re: Driving a Chysler M-body car in 2020
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 14:23:58 »

Nice car, that car must float down the road,
 those seats look comfortable, my dad had one of those, I used to have one wished I'd kept it, things like that. 

Those comments indicate that people still like smooth rides and comfy seats despite being brainwashed into thinking that everything must have a firm ride and cockpit-style seating.  My theory is that the Ford Taurus (the car that saved Ford) was the beginning of the end of our beloved American cars like the M-bodies.  We started to see everything in terms of making our cars more like something they were never meant to be.  People started gravitating to SUVs and pickup trucks.  Automotive journalists added to it by giving poor reviews to the remaining big American cars, putting the stigma of “older person’s car” on them.Nowadays we thankfully still have the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger but many think of them primarily as muscle cars, rather than comfortable cars for the masses.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 14:24:48 by wolfsblood07 »

DobaMark

• Administrator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Pittsburgh
Re: Driving a Chrysler M-body car in 2020
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 06:07:01 »

Around 2010, I went from daily driving a 1989 Fifth Avenue to a 2005 Chrysler 300c.
While the Fifth Avenue seats were soft and comforting on a short trip, they didn't really provide much support. The firmer seats in the 300c were much better and more comfortable on long, several hour trips. The
Same for the Fifth Avenue ride compared to the 300c.
One of the best seats I ever ran across was the "enthusiast" seat in my 1994 Chrysler LeBaron. Incredibly comfortable with inflatable lumbar and adjustable/inflatable side bolsters.

wolfsblood07

• Dippy Groupie
  • Arizona
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 09:02:08 »

Hoovie makes excellent points in this video, particularly about the move away from our beloved land yachts which to me is baffling.  These cars were the epitome of Americana, and we let them go. 
https://youtu.be/iCEEBxDaC9I

Lightning

• Dippy Junkie
  • Augusta, GA
  • the Cloudcuckoolander
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 15:11:27 »

Imo as far as post-2000 it was Trucks & SUV’s becoming more comfortable to be in, instead of as a tool to use.

People liked being higher up than others (physically), so with the aforementioned “that’s what my grandparents/father used to drive” stigma, it’s made car makers build the crossover/SUV market instead of more large cars.

SUV’s are the modern Land Yacht.

I also see the 300/Charger as the spiritual descendants of our M-‘s.

If it wasn’t for the Second Gas Crisis and the need for more fuel-efficient cars things would be different.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 15:12:17 by Lightning »

MoparDan

• M addict since '06
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Daytona Beach, FL
  • Rock On!
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2020, 18:32:43 »

Around 2010, I went from daily driving a 1989 Fifth Avenue to a 2005 Chrysler 300c.
While the Fifth Avenue seats were soft and comforting on a short trip, they didn't really provide much support. The firmer seats in the 300c were much better and more comfortable on long, several hour trips. The
Same for the Fifth Avenue ride compared to the 300c.
Really? I remember delivering a 300C and I was not impressed with the seats, on the half hour trip I couldn't get comfortable at all, I agree it rode better then the '82 Fifth Avenue I'd recently had to get rid of, but the seats on the Fifth Avenue were far more comfortable IMO I drove that car on many long trips nobody riding with me had anything bad to say about those seats. I wish I could find red Fifth Ave seats in good shape, the SE seats I've got are great too, but no comparison
The driver of a 1985 Plymouth Gran Fury Salon called The Cherry Bomb
"Paint it red"-Sammy Hagar
"Its like a carburetor instigator"-Quiet Riot
"I need a shot of gasoline"-Cinderella

lsm360

• Dippy Oracle
  • Melbourne, FL
  • Facts can be stubborn things
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 19:42:27 »

I am always surprised at how many people comment now! (1989 AHB). The other thing that surprises me is that it's more teens than any other age! Almost every single time I take it out!
'89 Diplomat S code AHB now with FI 410 C.I.D. smallblock
1979 Power Wagon 150 Short bed Factory 360-4
2010 Charger Pursuit 5.7

wolfsblood07

• Dippy Groupie
  • Arizona
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2020, 20:38:38 »

I am always surprised at how many people comment now! (1989 AHB). The other thing that surprises me is that it's more teens than any other age! Almost every single time I take it out!
The kids know what's cool!

DobaMark

• Administrator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Pittsburgh
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2020, 05:48:17 »

Sedans became areo blobs which became harder to get in and out of with silly trunks. Even the 300 suffers from this to a certain extent.
Look how larger the 300 trunk is. Look how relatively small the trunk lid opening is compared to the total space.

DobaMark

• Administrator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Pittsburgh
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2020, 05:49:55 »

Really? I remember delivering a 300C and I was not impressed with the seats, on the half hour trip I couldn't get comfortable at all, I agree it rode better then the '82 Fifth Avenue I'd recently had to get rid of, but the seats on the Fifth Avenue were far more comfortable IMO I drove that car on many long trips nobody riding with me had anything bad to say about those seats. I wish I could find red Fifth Ave seats in good shape, the SE seats I've got are great too, but no comparison
You'd never notice the things that make the 300 seats better in a 1/2 hour trip. Try a 600 mile drive in one day and you'll see the 300 seats support you while the M seats just cushion you. Less fatigue and pain from sitting..

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2020, 18:10:27 »

I've never had a problem with the 300 seats. They are like the modern M body especially when you can do the different parts swapping.

M_Body_Coupe

• Dippy God
  • Windsor, ON, Canada
  • aka Diplomat360
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2020, 22:17:54 »

"What is that thing??? Is that a Malibu, or a Cutlass?", but that's because my ride is a coupe!

Once they find out what it is the comments change significantly: "...no way!!! it's been years since I've seen one...!".

Fun, it seems like the times have caught up finally and our rides are getting some recognition out there, even in the car shows.
1980 Dodge Diplomat Coupe, 360-4bbl, 727, 3.91 SG motivated sleeper!
1981 Dodge Diplomat Coupe, /6 38K mi. survivor car, awaiting restoration.
Pages: [1] |   Go Up