Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 |   Go Down

Author Topic: '82 dippy A-38 questions  (Read 5380 times)

john

• Dippy Die-Hard
'82 dippy A-38 questions
« on: January 07, 2008, 19:57:58 »

These are things i should remember but have forgotten.
In ' 82 did the 727 have lock up?, i seem to think so.
Also for same dippy can the 9 1/4 rear end be made SG with parts? or is the pumpkin not good for it?
Again i seem to think it can be changed over.
Thinking about some possible fun in the future. Looong over due for some fun.
Thanks

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

MyDodgeDip

• Dippy Oracle
  • Somerville, NJ
Re: '82 dippy A-38 questions
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 20:22:09 »

if its a police package it will have an 8 1/4 not 9 1/4. I think in 83 it could have been either a 727 or 904 trans as well.
~Luke
1978 Chrysler Lebaron Coupe, 360-4, Sunroof
+ A Fleet of K cars...

Reggie

• Gran Fifthlomat Meister
  • Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Maryland - DMV Area
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 20:50:21 »

A 1982 A-38 probably has a 727, as they were pretty much standard in cop cars until around 1983 or so.  I'm not sure about lockup on the 727s, so maybe Mike or others will chime in.  Your 8.25" rear can be converted to SG by buying a SG unit and installing it.  It should be done by someone who knows what they're doing though. - RR
"There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way." - Christopher Morley 1890-1957, American author and editor

Library format and content © 2007- 2012 Reginald A. Royster, Sr., unless otherwise authored or noted.

john

• Dippy Die-Hard
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 22:42:37 »

Keep in mind guys that i'm going by what i'm being told. So my facts and figures are what they said not me.
I thought it was 8.3/4 not 9 but the lock up seems right. and now that i think about it if it's an'8/34 it will work out fine.
Sorry i've been away too long. Thanks for  the info. John

Reggie

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Maryland - DMV Area
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 22:47:56 »

Keep in mind guys that i'm going by what i'm being told. So my facts and figures are what they said not me.
I thought it was 8.3/4 not 9 but the lock up seems right. and now that i think about it if it's an'8/34 it will work out fine.
Sorry i've been away too long. Thanks for  the info. John

It should have an 8 1/4" not 8 3/4". - RR
"There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way." - Christopher Morley 1890-1957, American author and editor

Library format and content © 2007- 2012 Reginald A. Royster, Sr., unless otherwise authored or noted.

john

• Dippy Die-Hard
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 20:06:38 »

I'm still wondering about the lock up trans. It only matters due to gas prices and i have a 30 mile drive to work one way.
Also if i mess with the gear ratio - i think i will -  lock up will be a nice thing to have when gas goes over $4 a gallon.
In my ' 86 dip with the 904 trans lock up kicked it at 50 mph, i loved that.

MyDodgeDip

• Dippy Oracle
  • Somerville, NJ
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 20:29:40 »

regardless of lock up trans or not it's going to get crappy mileage, probably around 10-14 around town and 15-20 highway.
~Luke
+ A Fleet of K cars...

Reggie

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Maryland - DMV Area
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 20:47:15 »

I'm still wondering about the lock up trans. It only matters due to gas prices and i have a 30 mile drive to work one way.
Also if i mess with the gear ratio - i think i will -  lock up will be a nice thing to have when gas goes over $4 a gallon.
In my ' 86 dip with the 904 trans lock up kicked it at 50 mph, i loved that.

I looked at Carl Munroe's book that says the 727s were not lockup. Are you sure you have a 727?  If you're not sure, you can check the shape of the pan here.. - RR

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 22:14:44 »

I thought that only trucks and things didnt have lock up transmissions but police cars had more heavy duty stuff then normal cars so who knows. It should be on the fender tag somewhere tho and if you get the part number off the transmission you can figure it out from that too.

Reggie

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Maryland - DMV Area
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 09:34:02 »

I thought that only trucks and things didnt have lock up transmissions but police cars had more heavy duty stuff then normal cars so who knows. It should be on the fender tag somewhere tho and if you get the part number off the transmission you can figure it out from that too.

You're probably right Mike, so I dunno.  It would be good to know for sure.  I now wish that I had pulled that 727 from that '89 Fran Fury cop car that TomP and I found in the JY.  >:( - RR

john

• Dippy Die-Hard
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 17:26:18 »

I do not own this car yet, but when i go look at it i'll take my camera and get a shot of  the fender tag.
As for gas milage....i already know the deal. My ' 86 had a drinking problem, drank like a fish that car did.
And rear end gears will not make it any better at all, lose the lean burn and put a set of headers on it and do some carb tuning all spells one thing. It will drink like a kennedy.
If it has lock up i could get a few MPG back on the big road, in ' 79 or ' 80 i could see it being either way but in ' 82
almost every maker had lock up auto trans by then.
I'm hoping to get a look at the car next weekend, so put up the pics then.

john

• Dippy Die-Hard
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 14:01:22 »

Update : Just got off the phone with the present owner of the A-38.
It has a non original rear end - it is a 9 1/4 pumpkin rear - dakota maybe?? what has the width to fit a dip bolt in?.
Iso mounts are intact?? i don't get this at all, maybe i should but i don't. revs high at 60 mph - it is a non lock up trans.
Tall gears, i'm thinking 3:55's?? maybe higher i don't know. Kicks a-s off the line i'm told, non SG now. But can a 9 1/4 can be made into an SG?? What comes with a 9 1/4 rear that fits a dip new or old???? A truck maybe?? I came up the
dakota just as a thought because of width. I really need some help here to figure this mess out.
I'm going to it next sunday and i WILL have the camera. It's a southern car with only surface rust so i'm real happy about that, but what is the deal with the rear end? Gotta know this before i buy it, need the wisdom of all of you to figure this out.
I know only so much, need to tap the brains of those who do know what i do not.
I'm thinking good pics will tell the tale best, i have a very good camera so the shots will be very clear and sharp.
I'll take lots so as to have as much info as possible.

Will post them sunday next with lots of questions.

Thinking caps at the ready.....    Thanks  John

Reggie

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Maryland - DMV Area
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 19:52:54 »

Ok, if it is a 9 1/4", it will have a stop sign-shaped rear cover and 4" axle tubes at the differential that neck down to 3" at the axle flanges near the brake backing plates. If it is a Dak axle, the perches would have to have been cut from the top of the axle tubes and rewelded on the bottom for cars. Cop car B-bodies and R-bodies had 9 1/4" rears but they were wider than the M-body platform - both the distance between the perch centers and the axle flanges, so the perches would have to be moved inward, and the axke tube would either have to be narrowed or maybe deep offset wheels would have to be used.  If there are no engine mods, it just doesn't sound right.  Why would anyone do that much work for a basically stock A-38.  A big block A-38 yes, but a stock 318 one?  Another thing is that your mileage will be terrible with 3.55 gears and non-lockup.  I would probably look for something else for a daily driver.  Axle dimension and ID info are now in the Library here. - RR

MyDodgeDip

• Dippy Oracle
  • Somerville, NJ
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 20:07:35 »

First thing I'd do is put the right rear back in haha. Where are you located again?
~Luke
+ A Fleet of K cars...

john

• Dippy Die-Hard
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 15:26:08 »

Reggie i hear everything your saying - why ?? and then why ?? and why again ? I wish i knew, i'll know more when i go look and take lots of pics. An ' 82 without rust thru is a good find at 143k on the clock but it's had/has some issues.
Not major but issues just the same, and i think for an asking price of $1.000.00 i should not have many if any issues
to deal with. Reverse light does not work, not earth shattering but not inspectable either - no plate no drive. Along with the usual rear light probs we've almost all had or have. Brain box replaced with an ' 87 filth ave box - i belive i was told.
That box does support lock up but is the speed sensor on the speedo shaft there? probably not, but i could deal with that.
I think it's possible to " graft " one in somehow, the holes might be there for it's mounting in the plastic. On and on.

And dodge dip your are so right about that, put what belongs in there back in there to be sure. It will make MY life so much easier. Instrad of trying to figrue this mess out. Maybe this a really good thing and i do not know it yet.
But from first feeling it's not. I've talked with a fellow mopar fan at work and he can't make sense of it either.

I'm in reality buying someone else's project unfinshed, i do not think it's worth $1,000 since i have to do so much to get it right. Maybe it is right, i can not make any judgements until i put MY eyes on it. So sunday next it is. Camera in hand.

By the way the person is a member of farleys.    John
Pages: [1] 2 |   Go Up