Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: door locks  (Read 1296 times)

5th/miller

• Dippy Junkie
door locks
« on: April 18, 2013, 11:27:59 »

So on the drive home last night my batt light flickered a few times so I turned the radio off. Than I hear a click behind me on the left. The tear door lock was trying to work. I get home and shut the car off. Dr rear would click twice than the pass sides would click. I jiggled the switch a couple times and it didn't help so unhooked the batt. Cars an 84 5th ave

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
Re: door locks
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 18:01:12 »

This isn't a common problem so you'll have to do some trouble shooting. If it's only one having the problem its the wiring going to that door. If it's all of them trying to work at the same time it's either the switches or the wiring harness inside the dash that connects the switches on both front doors together. Start by looking for bad wiring between the doors and the car, then look for wiring in the dash or somewhere else that someone has modified before.

Ice Cold

• Dippy Oracle
  • Frozen Wastelands, Canada
  • Mopar or No Car
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 18:09:44 »

Id look at the wires coming in thru the door from the lower A piller.
1988 Fifth Ave
1987 Diplomat
1989 Diplomat AHB
1979 Lebaron Medallion 4dr
1979 Lebaron Coupe
1977 Aspen R/T
All drivers.
Too many cars and still looking.

fifthcrunch

• Dippy God
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 07:05:05 »

It sounds like a sticking switch.  It's sticking in the "on" position.  I may have a switch, if you need one.

MoparDan

• M addict since '06
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Daytona Beach, FL
  • Rock On!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 12:38:20 »

It sounds like a sticking switch.  It's sticking in the "on" position.  I may have a switch, if you need one.
I had something similar happen with one of my Fifth Ave's, take the switches apart and look closely at them (not hard to do)
The driver of a 1985 Plymouth Gran Fury Salon called The Cherry Bomb
"Paint it red"-Sammy Hagar
"Its like a carburetor instigator"-Quiet Riot
"I need a shot of gasoline"-Cinderella

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 12:43:12 »

He said he already checked the switch. The switch problems I've had just make them lock or unlock and stay that way, there's no sound to it.

fifthcrunch

• Dippy God
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 12:50:36 »

Mike,
It's clicking because it's an intermittent "on".  It will keep doing that until the switch is replaced.  Most likely, the lock switch on the left front.

MoparDan

• M addict since '06
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Daytona Beach, FL
  • Rock On!
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 13:26:47 »

Mike,
It's clicking because it's an intermittent "on".  It will keep doing that until the switch is replaced.  Most likely, the lock switch on the left front.

Thats the one that went bad on me
The driver of a 1985 Plymouth Gran Fury Salon called The Cherry Bomb
"Paint it red"-Sammy Hagar
"Its like a carburetor instigator"-Quiet Riot
"I need a shot of gasoline"-Cinderella

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 20:11:25 »

Mike,

OK. I 've never seen one fail like that. Only that the don't do anything or the spring breaks so the switch falls into the locked or unlocked position and stays there forcing the locks to permanently stay however the switch is. If it's stuck on lock you actually have to fight with the key to unlock it because it constantly tries to lock it as you're turning it the other way.

fifthcrunch

• Dippy God
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 05:40:23 »

It sticks because of internal wear and can stick wherever the ridges happen to be.  In this case, I think it's making intermittent contact, mostly "on", but also barely "off".  You have to take each case as it sits.  Past experience is invaluable but sometimes leads one astray.

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 12:20:19 »

If you mean what I described it's not sticking it was whatever makes the switch go back to it's off position that failed so the switch just flops back and forth.

Im not ruling out the switch, I'm just going by what was described as the problem and past experiences, that it's not all doors trying to do something and this "I jiggled the switch a couple times and it didn't help."

fifthcrunch

• Dippy God
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 16:19:06 »

Jiggling the switch  might not have changed anything because the internals are stuck, so moving the external blade didn't move the internal electrical contacts.
Pages: [1] |   Go Up