Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Electronic ignition problems! (lean burn delete)  (Read 1425 times)

CosmicJive

• Dippy Groupie
  • Western Massachusetts
Electronic ignition problems! (lean burn delete)
« on: July 13, 2019, 10:35:24 »

Car (89 5th Ave) is at the shop and all wired as depicted in the Haynes manual. It should work. Mechanic is telling me there is no spark now! Any ideas? He wonders f the ECU could be the culprit. It's a blue "hirev 7500".
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 10:37:15 by CosmicJive »

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

DobaMark

• Administrator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Pittsburgh
Re: Electronic ignition problems! (lean burn delete)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 06:39:58 »

The modules used to be bulletproof. That isn’t necessarily the case now. Did it run and now doesn’t?

auschrysler

• On the path...
  • BRISBANE AUSTRALIA
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 21:19:57 »

I had a similar problem last year when doing the same conversion on a 1985 Fifth avenue. Auto electrician suspected the HiRev module so fitted a used Mopar orange module that I had from another vehicle & the car started right up. Also make sure that the module is very well grounded. I fitted a thick alloy plate under mine.

Ark

• Ayatullah of Rock 'n Rolla
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Bloomington, IN
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 20:16:42 »

I had an orange box go bad once, so it's not completely out of the realm of possibility. Make sure you wire brush down the contact points with the body, and use a voltmeter to double check that the module housing has good ground all the way to the negative terminal.
1987 Chrysler Fifth Avenue, 360 4bbl .030 over, A727, 2.94, cop suspension and then some

1997 Saturn SL2, 1.9L DOHC 5spd
Pages: [1] |   Go Up