Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf spring hanger removal  (Read 4372 times)

lsm360

• Dippy Oracle
  • Melbourne, FL
  • Facts can be stubborn things
Re: Leaf spring hanger removal
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 18:46:13 »

You shouldn't need to do anything at the axle. just loosen the nut for the eye bolt while you can still easily do that, then unbolt the hanger and drop it down to be able to get the bolt out then stick it back together again.
Cannot push hanger out (toward rear of car) with the leaf connected. Can't push bolt holding leaf to hanger because you push it out toward center of car and it hits the part of underbody before you can push it out. Looking at the pictures, hanger has to move to right so that studs that are attached to it push out free of car. Hanger bolt pushes out toward center of car. 2nd pic shows studs that are part of hanger and point toward front of car.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 18:51:46 by lsm360 »
'89 Diplomat S code AHB now with FI 410 C.I.D. smallblock
1979 Power Wagon 150 Short bed Factory 360-4
2010 Charger Pursuit 5.7

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
Re: Leaf spring hanger removal
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 22:15:18 »

You shouldn't need to do anything at the axle. just loosen the nut for the eye bolt while you can still easily do that, then unbolt the hanger and drop it down to be able to get the bolt out then stick it back together again.
Cannot push hanger out (toward rear of car) with the leaf connected. Can't push bolt holding leaf to hanger because you push it out toward center of car and it hits the part of underbody before you can push it out. Looking at the pictures, hanger has to move to right so that studs that are attached to it push out free of car. Hanger bolt pushes out toward center of car. 2nd pic shows studs that are part of hanger and point toward front of car.

I know what it looks like. I've just never heard of anyone having to take the axle off the spring before to do that. At least it was a good opportunity to put the new pads on.
Pages: 1 [2] |   Go Up