Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: '87 F/A engine spray down = no start  (Read 1645 times)

gomopar88

• Dippy Junkie
  • Daytona Beach Shores, FL
'87 F/A engine spray down = no start
« on: May 25, 2011, 13:12:49 »

I am looking at this '87 FA that is 60 miles from my house. The car is in great shape(FL car) with 117K on it. The kid who is selling it for his grandpa said it was starting and running fine until he cleaned/sprayed the engine down...Now it just clicks. No starter, no cranking etc. Any ideas to get it running so I can buy it???  Thanks!
'89 Chrysler Fifth Avenue, Light Pewter Metallic
'94 Chrysler LeBaron Salon 3.0, Wildberry Metallic

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

ka4ist

• Dippy Regular
  • Everett, Washington
  • 1987 5th Avenue
Re: '87 F/A engine spray down = no start
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 14:14:54 »

I'd start with the firewall mounted starter relay. Pull the plugs off and make sure contacts are clean, maybe disconnect and reconnect multiple times to kinda clean any grunge off.  Next thought would be flaky grounds/weak connections/battery cables (especially ground) corroded internally.
Anyone who tells you that the negative is not just as important as the positive has obviously never jump-started their car.

lsm360

• Dippy Oracle
  • Melbourne, FL
  • Facts can be stubborn things
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 14:31:17 »

Make sure that it is not just a coincidence, and that battery has enough juice too. Doesn't sound like moisture under distributor cap, because then it would at least crank. That water could run all the down to starter contacts too.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 17:34:20 by lsm360 »
'89 Diplomat S code AHB now with FI 410 C.I.D. smallblock
1979 Power Wagon 150 Short bed Factory 360-4
2010 Charger Pursuit 5.7

Suregripdip

• Dippy Junkie
  • The Land of Beer and Cheese
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 17:08:44 »

Before you rip anything apart check fuses!give the starter a tap.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 17:10:19 by Suregripdip »

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 19:52:39 »

Clicks means the starter relay is working. Make sure all the connections from the starter to the battery are clean and tight.

fifthcrunch

• Dippy God
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 11:19:23 »

Sometimes, people will say anything to get a car sold.  So the seller's story is open to question.  I have gotten deals in the past by telling the seller that it doesn't run, so I have to assume the motor is bad and my offer is based on that. That went well when a friend was interested in a 52 MG TD.  I looked at the car and looked under the hood.  Advised my friend to buy it at the proposed price for car with bad motor.  He bought it.  We pushed the car a couple of blocks down the street, so the guy who had just sold it couldn't see us.  I opened the hood and put the plug wires in the right order.  It fired up and he drove it home.  I hate having to spend the time getting a car running that I might possibly be interested in.  But, if you are interested enough in the car to spend some time on it and you think the guy is honest, you might try jump starting it off your battery.  You might also check voltage drop along the cables.  It could be the starter relay.  Although it clicks, the contacts might be worn badly.  It could be water in the bulkhead connector.  It could be coincidence and have nothing to do with the spray.  Could be bad cable, bad starter, bad switch.  You  could wind up spending some time on a car that isn't even yours.

gomopar88

• Dippy Junkie
  • Daytona Beach Shores, FL
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 09:13:31 »

Thanks everyone, I might go look at it tomorrow...I hope its just the battery or relay, but I have a feeling there is more involved.
'89 Chrysler Fifth Avenue, Light Pewter Metallic
'94 Chrysler LeBaron Salon 3.0, Wildberry Metallic
Pages: [1] |   Go Up