Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: speedo cable  (Read 1297 times)

jareds84dipper

• Dippy Groupie
  • Nova Scotia , Canada
speedo cable
« on: January 03, 2011, 01:37:08 »

where does the speedo cable go into the side of my 998? when the guy swapped in the engine thats in it now, he just cut the old cable and didnt put the good cable back :-

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
Re: speedo cable
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 03:01:36 »

On the driver side you should see a chunk of the old cable sticking out if he just cut it.

S-type

• Dippy Oracle
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 07:53:44 »

At the front of the tailshaft housing, it should be right in front of the crossmember the rear mount bolts to.

jareds84dipper

• Dippy Groupie
  • Nova Scotia , Canada
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 12:40:57 »

okay thanks guys,  does the trans end of the cable have a big [plastic peice?

Reggie

• Gran Fifthlomat Meister
  • Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Maryland - DMV Area
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 15:04:06 »

okay thanks guys,  does the trans end of the cable have a big [plastic peice?

It looks like the attached photo. - RR

"There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way." - Christopher Morley 1890-1957, American author and editor

Library format and content © 2007- 2012 Reginald A. Royster, Sr., unless otherwise authored or noted.

jareds84dipper

• Dippy Groupie
  • Nova Scotia , Canada
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 15:32:36 »

uuuggghh   thats not what the one i have looks like  :(

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 17:09:32 »

Actually that's not what the end at the transmission looks like. It should go into a round plastic part stuck in the transmission with a metal fork holding it in place. And once you take it apart the end of the cable itself just has a metal sleeve on it with the cable sticking out.

If you're going to get into stuff like this you should really get a service manual. It'll tell you how to do everything. A lot of this stuff isn't as simple as just taking it apart and putting it back again, that part that goes into the transmission has to be turned the right way, if it's not the speedometer wont' work right and worst case it'll also grind up the gear and fill the end of the transmission with plastic bits.

jareds84dipper

• Dippy Groupie
  • Nova Scotia , Canada
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 14:22:39 »

uuhg crap :( is there any chance that theres a tread or link on here that could help me to do this cuz its really frustraighting not having a speedo??

Reggie

• Gran Fifthlomat Meister
  • Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Maryland - DMV Area
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 20:36:16 »

Actually that's not what the end at the transmission looks like. It should go into a round plastic part stuck in the transmission with a metal fork holding it in place. And once you take it apart the end of the cable itself just has a metal sleeve on it with the cable sticking out.

If you're going to get into stuff like this you should really get a service manual. It'll tell you how to do everything. A lot of this stuff isn't as simple as just taking it apart and putting it back again, that part that goes into the transmission has to be turned the right way, if it's not the speedometer wont' work right and worst case it'll also grind up the gear and fill the end of the transmission with plastic bits.

Oops!!  :oops: Mike is correct.  I had the older Corboba setup on the brain which looks like the first picture.  The later 80s style setup looks like the attached picture which is from the Factory Service Manual. :thumb: - RR
"There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way." - Christopher Morley 1890-1957, American author and editor

Library format and content © 2007- 2012 Reginald A. Royster, Sr., unless otherwise authored or noted.

jareds84dipper

• Dippy Groupie
  • Nova Scotia , Canada
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 14:33:09 »

sweeet! thank u   ill still probley have to get a manual so i can put it back in the trans the rite way tho

79dodge4ever

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • windsor NS Canada
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 16:22:20 »

uuuggghh   thats not what the one i have looks like  :(

the picture that reggie attached is the old style (pre 80's) most I have seen use the plastic housing that the cable just slips into and uses clips to hold it insted of the screw on cable
When told the reason for daylight savings time an old Indian said, “only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket”

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 17:49:05 »

I think it was around 1978 or 1979 they changed becuase my 1979 was the newer style.

79dodge4ever

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • windsor NS Canada
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 19:19:41 »

I think it was around 1978 or 1979 they changed becuase my 1979 was the newer style.

yes the F bodys were the same way, 78 was the screw on type, 79 and 80 were plastic
When told the reason for daylight savings time an old Indian said, “only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket”

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 19:27:36 »

I was lucky when I did my drivetrain swap that it was a 79 I had. Or else I would have needed some extra parts for that. Downside is that it's a lot easier to find the older style gears and housing :doh:

79dodge4ever

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • windsor NS Canada
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 19:50:33 »

I was lucky when I did my drivetrain swap that it was a 79 I had. Or else I would have needed some extra parts for that. Downside is that it's a lot easier to find the older style gears and housing :doh:

if you have cruise control and want the older style gear housing, the cable that goes from the control box to the tranny can be swapped out for one out of a 70's dodge truck
Pages: [1] |   Go Up