Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 |   Go Down

Author Topic: '87 Dip, problems and progress  (Read 7824 times)

SgtRauksauff

• Dippy Regular
Re: '87 Dip, problems and progress (renamed thread)
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2010, 14:08:05 »

Well, I found a link to the fuel sock.

From Year One, they want $17.25 + shipping for it. yikes!!

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/part.asp?pid=BG923&c=0&e=0&cat=1&hid=114GW16128&iMode=4&trk=1

I'm going to either run without, or make something else work.

and get a new cap while I'm at it...

--sarge

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

ih8gmandford

• Dippy Groupie
  • NW Ohio
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2010, 16:26:01 »

I've bought a ton of hydraulic / pneumatic stuff that I've been going through. I have a small screw-on filter that was a debris screen for a hydraulic pump pick-up. It would probably be a breeze to rig it to a compression fitting and install it on the end of the pickup tube. I'll sell it to you CHEAP if you wanna try it. - Jason  jasnik5@yahoo.com

SgtRauksauff

• Dippy Regular
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2010, 16:29:39 »

I've got a good lead... apparently, 60's-70's chevy trucks used a 5/16" pickup also, and they sell a sock for them for about 7 bucks.  I'm swinging down to napa to take a look.  If it works, that'll be perfect!

SgtRauksauff

• Dippy Regular
Re: '87 Dip, problems and progress
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2010, 10:54:40 »

Well, then!

Updates:

Fuel Pickup Strainer/Sock was used, from an '86 Chevrolet C20, w/350.  The opening was a tiny hair bigger than the pickup, so I jammed the end of a ziptie into it.  perfect!

New 215/70's on, and balanced. Cleaned up and repainted the rims, with black farm implement enamel.  The car looks SO much better now!
Oh, and the rims ARE 7-inchers.  Three mounted on the car, and the spare, were all 7" ones, and the one that I measured (of course) was a 6.5", lol!  Just my luck!

Last night, driving to meet some friends, the battery ended up going super-stone dead, car wouldn't run, stranded on the road about 10 minutes from my destination in BFE.  Brand NEW battery. A good samaritan jumper-cable charged it to get it started again, disconnected the neg. cable, car died.  Sounds like a bad alternator to me.  New alternator is in stock at Autozone (they're still open!!!).  He drives me there and back, we swap in the new alternator, Fires right up, he leaves, I leave.  About a mile later, headlights are super dim, car is stumbling, and dies.  F$&@#@#!!!

So, I call my friends, it's now after 9pm, so AZ is closed.  Wal-mart is open.  I have them get me a new 950CCA group34 battery, and bring it to me.  We get to Taco John's, where another buddy met us with a DMM (Digital MultiMeter.) There is 12.4v out of the battery, and it sinks a bit when the car starts.  So, alternator is not charging.  Check the main alt lead, 29V, kinda strange...  Check the continuity of the green and blue wires going to the Voltage Regulator, they're fine.  so, maybe the VR is bad.  Then I got to thinking, we should still see SOMETHING at the battery.  So we continuity test between the battery and the Alt, get nothing.  argh!!  So, I start stripping the harness, at every joint, to see if there's something broken/corroded.

Sure enough, there's a fusible link that seems to be kinda melted.  So, I drive it to a friends house, and use a bit of 10ga speaker wire, solder it to the 8ga. alt wire, and use a crimp connector on the other side for the smaller gauge wire.  yay!!  we now have an alternator charging the battery!!

Question 1:  So, what are other, GOOD fixes for these fusible links?  I kinda don't trust them now, I wonder if others of them might be funky too.

Question 2:  I'd like a new door/trunk lock set.  I've currently got no keys for this, and it needs them.  Where have people got them before?  I'd rather have 1 key for the doors and trunk, rather than one for the doors and a separate one for the trunk.

Thanks,

--sarge

« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 10:57:10 by SgtRauksauff »

DobaMark

• Administrator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Pittsburgh
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2010, 11:10:43 »

Only the fleet cars used one key design for everything, it was optional and some fleets ordered it some did not.  The others had one key design for the doors and ignition and a second for the trunk and glove box.  The problem is because of the grooves on the key blank the trunk and door/ignition key blanks can't be interchanged.  Even looking in the parts book, I can't see separate parts so maybe a locksmith could convert it.

SgtRauksauff

• Dippy Regular
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2010, 12:26:40 »

I'm a dummy!!

For some reason, I thought that the ignition was by itself, and the doors, trunk, and glove box were together. So basically, all I need is a TRUNK lock, and either go without the glovebox lock, or maybe get that one re-keyed to match the trunk lock, which can be had for about 15 bucks from Autozone, $20 at Oreilly's, $21 from Napa.. None of the ones in the junkyards around here have the keys..

-sarge

Ice Cold

• Dippy Oracle
  • Frozen Wastelands, Canada
  • Mopar or No Car
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2010, 13:24:42 »

I'd be checking the grounds and voltage regulator for the fusable link problems. I've never had a issue with them in my M's. :umm:
1988 Fifth Ave
1987 Diplomat
1989 Diplomat AHB
1979 Lebaron Medallion 4dr
1979 Lebaron Coupe
1977 Aspen R/T
All drivers.
Too many cars and still looking.

SgtRauksauff

• Dippy Regular
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2010, 14:03:48 »

I think I may have done it myself... [stupidMode]When dealing with the fuel filter/lines, I didn't disconnect the battery[/stupidMode], and moving the alternator out of the way to get to the fuel pump, I may have shorted it. I saw a brief puff of smoke, but didn't smell anything burnt.  Didn't see it as an issue at the time, but obviously I toasted the Fusible Link.  Not to say that something else isn't still waiting to show me it's damaged, though.

--sarge

SgtRauksauff

• Dippy Regular
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2010, 11:56:58 »

Update:

My trunk lock came in yesterday, so the secret screwdriver key is no longer neededl!!  And I picked up a set of front brake pads.  Did some test cleaning with some Simple Green, and some wierd spots on the paint came right off.  Gonna have to do a nice good hand-scrub to the whole car.

Oh, and a buddy hooked me up with a gorgeous set of vented dog dish caps!!!  I found a set of the squad steelies on a Grand Fury at a junkyard, but the guy wanted 100 bucks for the set.   Seems kinda high to me, for a set of rusty steel wheels.

--sarge

Diplomatic Immunity

• Up to no good as usual.
  • Dippy God
  • Spring Valley MN
  • Mopar or no car!
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2010, 19:09:07 »

A rock for real cop wheels is actually a pretty good price. especially considering you don't have to have them shipped.
Vehicles:
1968 Dodge Superbee
1998 Dodge Durango
Formerly 1981 dippy salon 2 door. RIP "Diplomatic Immunity' :(

79dodge4ever

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • windsor NS Canada
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2010, 20:31:51 »

they can sell for a good sum of money cleaned up and look mighty fine on an M body car, plus there vented to aid in cooling your brakes and are wider than cillvilan wheels, I believe somewheres around 7.5-8 inches wide, I paid 80 for a set without hub caps and thought that was a deal! they are super hard to find because no one wants to sell them around here
When told the reason for daylight savings time an old Indian said, “only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket”

SgtRauksauff

• Dippy Regular
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2010, 23:13:12 »

I might have to go pick them up then.  I should go back again anyways, I think I should get the innards for the trunk lock cover, since mine was mangled a bit. The outside part's fine, but a little oxidized, but the springs inside to hold it open are all bent and broken.

I didn't measure them, but I thought the squad wheels were still 15x7?

--sarge

79dodge4ever

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • windsor NS Canada
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2010, 12:14:19 »

if you can afford to you should get every picking you can think of off the salvage yard car if it is truely a service car :cop: It will have heavier suspension, larger transmission cooler, power steering cooler, and maybe a 360/ 727 auto with 8 1/4 depending on what it was used for, check the VIN to be sure though oh and post some pics, after all there free!  
:pics:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 12:16:59 by 79dodge4ever »
When told the reason for daylight savings time an old Indian said, “only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket”

DobaMark

• Administrator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Pittsburgh
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2010, 15:41:29 »

The cop wheels are 15x7, same as width as the 80's civilian wheels in most cases.  The cop wheels are heavier duty and look better.
they can sell for a good sum of money cleaned up and look mighty fine on an M body car, plus there vented to aid in cooling your brakes and are wider than cillvilan wheels, I believe somewheres around 7.5-8 inches wide, I paid 80 for a set without hub caps and thought that was a deal! they are super hard to find because no one wants to sell them around here

SgtRauksauff

• Dippy Regular
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2010, 12:11:31 »

Worthless without pics, eh?

Well, here are some from my cellphone...

Here's what the fuel pickup strainer first looked like:

Here's the 1986 Chevy C20 5/16" strainer

Here's the strainer attached to the Dippy fuel pickup.  I DID have to use a bit of ziptie, to make a tighter fit between the tube and the strainer opening.

Here's me at the gas station, putting some fresh 93 in...

This was the day before I got my vented dog dishes, so just plain black-painted wheels.

And a front-angle view....

Just this past sunday, the brake warning light came on, so I'm going to have to take care of that.  I'm going to shine the car up as much as I can, then take it to some locations around the area to get some good photos, with better than my cellphone.  no DSLR for me, I've got a point-n-shoot, but it works well enough!

--sarge
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 |   Go Up