Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 |   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf spring hanger removal  (Read 4351 times)

lsm360

• Dippy Oracle
  • Melbourne, FL
  • Facts can be stubborn things
Leaf spring hanger removal
« on: May 15, 2011, 19:37:36 »

I have had a new set of front leaf spring hangers from Firmfeel that I have been wanting to install. It looks pretty straight forward, but here is one question I do have; I planned to place a hydraulic jack underneath the spring at the front hanger in order to support the spring, unbolt the spring from the hanger, and with another jack lift that side of the car to separate the spring from the hanger....will the spring want to coil up/wrap at all so that it is no longer lined up with the hanger? Again, it seems like a pretty straight forward job, but I have never done it. I am only doing the front hangers right now.

Thanks.
'89 Diplomat S code AHB now with FI 410 C.I.D. smallblock
1979 Power Wagon 150 Short bed Factory 360-4
2010 Charger Pursuit 5.7

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
Re: Leaf spring hanger removal
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 20:16:54 »

It would probably work better, and safer, to put the back of the car up on stands and the use a jack under under the axle.

Suregripdip

• Dippy Junkie
  • The Land of Beer and Cheese
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 20:29:09 »

Support the rear bumper or frame with stands and pumpkik with Jack.IMO.firm feal makes hangers?I guess I gotta buy some more parts :w00t:

lsm360

• Dippy Oracle
  • Melbourne, FL
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 21:50:26 »

Support the rear bumper or frame with stands and pumpkik with Jack.IMO.firm feal makes hangers?I guess I gotta buy some more parts :w00t:
Yes, they do. And as all FF stuff, they are HD.

http://firmfeel.com/leafhang_FMJ.htm
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 21:57:34 by lsm360 »
2010 Charger Pursuit 5.7

lsm360

• Dippy Oracle
  • Melbourne, FL
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 21:54:07 »

Does anyone know if the spring will kind of coil or wrap once it is disconnected from hanger? I am concerned it will be misaligned and I wont be able to get the spring eye bolted back to new hanger. Thx.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 21:58:46 by lsm360 »
2010 Charger Pursuit 5.7

Suregripdip

• Dippy Junkie
  • The Land of Beer and Cheese
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 02:44:52 »

Should be fine.maybe aliittle fighting

spike

• StreeT SweepaZ
  • Dippy Oracle
  • sticks of wisconsin
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 11:21:46 »

With thevcar on stands if the leaf does move a lil you should be able to move it by hand,. and if not you can use the jack to lift/lower the axle accordingly

DobaMark

• Dippy Oracle
  • Pittsburgh
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 11:40:12 »

When I replaced the hangers on my 1976 Dodge Charger I placed a 2x4 (I may have cut it down first, can't recall) between the frame and the leaf spring before I unbolted the old hanger.  It kept the spring from scraping the frame and made it very easy due to the leverage of the 2x4 to get the spring where it needed to be.  It did tend to want to curl toward the front of the car.

Prospect62

• Dippy God
  • Marcy, NY
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 12:21:04 »

I just had my rear hangers off last week.

I supported the frame on jack stands and let the axle droop, once it was at full droop I put the jack under the differential and put just a smidgen of pressure on it. Once I unbolted the rear hangers the springs were pretty easy to manipulate, at least enough to move the hangers around. I didn't observe any adverse spring movement or deformity, nor any real dangerous amount of recoil. Do one side at a time and they should be pretty compliant for you.
1987 Plymouth Gran Fury AHB
Disclaimer: I've probably had a few beers.

lsm360

• Dippy Oracle
  • Melbourne, FL
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 19:23:10 »

I supported the frame on jack stands and let the axle droop, once it was at full droop I put the jack under the differential and put just a smidgen of pressure on it. Once I unbolted the rear hangers the springs were pretty easy to manipulate, at least enough to move the hangers around. I didn't observe any adverse spring movement or deformity, nor any real dangerous amount of recoil. Do one side at a time and they should be pretty compliant for you.
I was doing front hangers, not the rear. Thanks.
2010 Charger Pursuit 5.7

M_Body_Coupe

• Dippy God
  • Windsor, ON, Canada
  • aka Diplomat360
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 08:22:06 »

I'm with the guys suggesting that you put axle stands under the FRAME rails first. That will put the car's body in a 'solid' frame setting.

Once this is done, you could apply a little pressure on the axle tube itself, aim for the side you are actually dropping the front spring hanger. Once you have this in place go ahead and un-do the main front bushing bolt, then un-do the 4 nuts that actually keep the hanger bolted to the body.

The leaf may want to move up/down on you a bit, it really depends on the clearance the particular parts have right now...but either way, it shouldn't be too big for you not to be able to correct it and hook it back up to your new hanger.

I'm curious, is the front bushing round or oval? I ask b/c Mopar switched to the oval style bushing to help with ride quality, etc....obviously, the round style is a much harshes bushing, but it does do a better job keeping the suspension pieces where they need to be in order to move the car....
1980 Dodge Diplomat Coupe, 360-4bbl, 727, 3.91 SG motivated sleeper!
1981 Dodge Diplomat Coupe, /6 38K mi. survivor car, awaiting restoration.

lsm360

• Dippy Oracle
  • Melbourne, FL
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 14:59:01 »

I'm with the guys suggesting that you put axle stands under the FRAME rails first. That will put the car's body in a 'solid' frame setting.

Once this is done, you could apply a little pressure on the axle tube itself, aim for the side you are actually dropping the front spring hanger. Once you have this in place go ahead and un-do the main front bushing bolt, then un-do the 4 nuts that actually keep the hanger bolted to the body.

The leaf may want to move up/down on you a bit, it really depends on the clearance the particular parts have right now...but either way, it shouldn't be too big for you not to be able to correct it and hook it back up to your new hanger.

I'm curious, is the front bushing round or oval? I ask b/c Mopar switched to the oval style bushing to help with ride quality, etc....obviously, the round style is a much harshes bushing, but it does do a better job keeping the suspension pieces where they need to be in order to move the car....
Sounds good Dariusz...thanks...and I have round front bushings I believe, but I will have to double check that.. Larry
2010 Charger Pursuit 5.7

Prospect62

• Dippy God
  • Marcy, NY
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 07:42:03 »

I was doing front hangers, not the rear. Thanks.

The procedures are the same...
1987 Plymouth Gran Fury AHB
Disclaimer: I've probably had a few beers.

lsm360

• Dippy Oracle
  • Melbourne, FL
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 10:31:03 »

There is not enough room to push the bolt that holds the leaf to the hanger (eye bolt?) out so that the spring will drop from the hanger. It hits the body before it is out. The hanger and leaf have to come out together, then the leaf spring unbolted from the hanger. So, I have to unbolt the leaf spring at the axle to be able to do that. This is quite different then the rear hanger. Wish I could post pics of what I am talking about. I took it to my mechanic and he lifted it and said he would have to remove u bolts at axle. Sooooooo, I had him go ahead and swap the front hangers and put on poly leaf pads at the same time.
2010 Charger Pursuit 5.7

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 12:16:27 »

You shouldn't need to do anything at the axle. just loosen the nut for the eye bolt while you can still easily do that, then unbolt the hanger and drop it down to be able to get the bolt out then stick it back together again.
Pages: [1] 2 |   Go Up