Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] |   Go Down

Author Topic: 1987 diplomat salon  (Read 2049 times)

lsm360

• Dippy Oracle
  • Melbourne, FL
  • Facts can be stubborn things
Re: 1987 diplomat salon
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 13:01:04 »

Yes, if you are running around in too high of a gear it will deff damage trans eventually. Check that adjustment and the linkages conditions and manually shift if you have to until things are in order.
'89 Diplomat S code AHB now with FI 410 C.I.D. smallblock
1979 Power Wagon 150 Short bed Factory 360-4
2010 Charger Pursuit 5.7

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

lsm360

• Dippy Oracle
  • Melbourne, FL
  • Facts can be stubborn things
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 13:02:54 »

I would get the fuel out of the tank and lines asap, especially if you have ethanol there. Two years of sitting is plenty of time for that crap to go bad.
'89 Diplomat S code AHB now with FI 410 C.I.D. smallblock
1979 Power Wagon 150 Short bed Factory 360-4
2010 Charger Pursuit 5.7

DobaMark

• Dippy Oracle
  • Pittsburgh
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 13:06:21 »

Lots of possibilities.  Bum carb, improper timing, timing not advancing, restricted fuel delivery, plugged catalytic converter, etc.
Did you go through the basics like a tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter)?  What about the fuel system - did it set with gas in it for 2 years?  Did you drain that out or use it?  How much has it been driven since?

Malcolm from Canada

• Four Fifths to attend to
  • Dippy God
  • Rural Ontario
  • Coming back from a Lincoln
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 20:26:34 »

dam that's the last thing i wanted to hear is that it has to do with the transmission so whats the best option here brand new transmission or what? i mean the cars in great shape interior and exterior wise it has 140000 on it i believe or 40000 only 5 numbers on the odometer, so i plan on restoring it any way. Let me know what you think, thanks

Don't be a-fearin' muh friend

None of that linkage cleaning/sanding/lubricating/adjusting will cost you a red cent.

If you really have no way of jacking it up safely you can do it all from the driver's side with long arms and a mirror (though it'd be a whole lot easier if it were jacked up.

The kickdown linkage is so simple it's child's play and requires only a 1/2" wrench and a little trial and error.

First though, you want to make sure it even needs adjustment. More likely it's just rusted itself together with the stud it rides on.

Consult your factory service manual or pictures from it, here on this site, and get the wire brush, sandpaper and grease or anti-seize out.

All you need are needle nose pliers and a 1/2" wrench to remove the linkage pins and bolt. Heck you might get lucky and get it all moving without even removing it and just spraying some penetrating oil and working it all with your hands.

NEVER forget the upper linkage spring, at the back of the engine either. If it that ain't there, that can lead to a lot of what you're describing !

Don't spend a dime until you've checked these freebies first

Malcolm
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 20:29:38 by Malcolm from Canada »
Had a 360/727/ 8 1/4" Suregripped 87' Fifth Avenue and many M and J-bodies over the years.

Captain Caravelle

• Mopar Maniac
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Hogtown, Canada
  • I ain't sayin'...I'm just sayin'
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 21:19:25 »

Don't be a-fearin' muh friend

None of that linkage cleaning/sanding/lubricating/adjusting will cost you a red cent.

If you really have no way of jacking it up safely you can do it all from the driver's side with long arms and a mirror (though it'd be a whole lot easier if it were jacked up.

The kickdown linkage is so simple it's child's play and requires only a 1/2" wrench and a little trial and error.

First though, you want to make sure it even needs adjustment. More likely it's just rusted itself together with the stud it rides on.

Consult your factory service manual or pictures from it, here on this site, and get the wire brush, sandpaper and grease or anti-seize out.

All you need are needle nose pliers and a 1/2" wrench to remove the linkage pins and bolt. Heck you might get lucky and get it all moving without even removing it and just spraying some penetrating oil and working it all with your hands.

NEVER forget the upper linkage spring, at the back of the engine either. If it that ain't there, that can lead to a lot of what you're describing !

Don't spend a dime until you've checked these freebies first

Malcolm

X2

Cover the basics that'll will cost next to nothing before you go throwing money at it. All of the basically free things mentioned here should be first on the list.

A tune up is around $120 worth of stuff....that should be a top priority. If you don't have a factory service manual I'll pretty sure all the diagrams for all the adjustments are kicking around on here somewhere.
1978 Plymouth Caravelle 2 Door Boat Tail 225 Super Six
1980 Plymouth Volare 2 Door Coupe 225 Super Six
1987 Chrysler Fifth Ave. 318 Police Interceptor (Daily Driver)

Ron Price

• Dippy Die-Hard
  • Olean ny
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2015, 21:52:55 »

Honestly my car doesn't go up hills the best either. And it also doesn't go into passing gear very easy. I read in the factory service manual that the 3-2 down shift won't occur until 75-85mph. So I figured that's why. Seems awful high to me. Other than that my car runs and shifts fine. I adjusted my linkages with no change. And they were not sticking. Is this the first carbureted car you have drivin? Because they are never going to run like a computer controlled car. And a two barrel 318 isn't a very powerful engine... I'd put those plugs in. Check the vacuum and timing. Sounds like maybe the timing might not be advancing properly. Other than that I'd say maybe its fine and that's just how these cars are. Some cars just aren't hill climbers. I imagine the rear end gears these cars have doesn't help that fact.

Captain Caravelle

• Mopar Maniac
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Hogtown, Canada
  • I ain't sayin'...I'm just sayin'
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2015, 22:10:32 »

A full proper tune up and running premium makes a big difference.
My mission when I got mine was to bring it back to factory spec. Once I did that with the premium she has no trouble climbing hills.

Good fuel, good spark, good fuel delivery and no vacuum leaks.
These are what make the difference between a 2 bbl 318 that runs okay and one that runs great....the way they're supposed to run.
1978 Plymouth Caravelle 2 Door Boat Tail 225 Super Six
1980 Plymouth Volare 2 Door Coupe 225 Super Six
1987 Chrysler Fifth Ave. 318 Police Interceptor (Daily Driver)
Pages: 1 [2] |   Go Up