Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: The Latest One - 1976 Daytona  (Read 1342 times)

McTaggart

• Resident Delinquent
  • Dippy Regular
  • Kentucky
The Latest One - 1976 Daytona
« on: June 09, 2021, 17:40:56 »

So, I've kept a pretty low profile for a bit around here, mainly as I'm writing in several different locations professionally. After hours at the computer for a paycheck, you tend to avoid being online any more than you choose to afterwards. But since this is my original home and since some of you might remember the fun I have with project cars...

:blink:

Okay, let me rephrase that. Some of you might remember that I like playing with cars at all...well, here's the latest acquisition:

« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 17:41:29 by McTaggart »
The former Remy-Z.

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

McTaggart

• Resident Delinquent
  • Dippy Regular
  • Kentucky
Re: The Latest One - 1976 Daytona
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 17:48:58 »

The rundown:

1976 Dodge Charger Daytona, 360-2V, column shift 727, 8.25 rear axle geared for an unlimited top end that no small-block from 1976 could ever take advantage of.

I've been without a Mopar since I sold the '83 Imperial early last year and I wasn't sure if I wanted to jump back into that circus, but I've had a fascination with late-B Mopars ever since I saw one get absolutely thrashed by some social deviants who did some unspeakable acts to the car. I don't remember if it was a Coronet or base Charger, but it was jumped, rolled, driven through trees, and even backed through an old Volvo wagon at what seemed like over 40 miles an hour, and the only thing that ever truly broke was a ball joint when it got stuffed into a tree stump. I had been looking for 1975 Road Runners and Coronet-body coupes for a minute, but this car showed up at the right price and the deal was pretty straightforward.

It's not perfect. The gauges are out on holiday, the speedometer is broken (the bushing split into two pieces), the air conditioner has zero inclination to work, and the transmission pan leaks like the Exxon Valdez, leaving my shop looking like the scene of an Ed Gein murder. But driving this thing is sublime, the dual exhaust sounds killer when it isn't rattling like an amorous skeleton, and there is nothing...and I mean NOTHING...like 1970s era legroom. The Chrysler 300 I've owned for years now doesn't hold a candle, and let's not bring in either the daily beater Chevy Volt or my wife's Fox Mustang into the argument, they won't win.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 17:49:33 by McTaggart »
The former Remy-Z.

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

MoparDan

• M addict since '06
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Daytona Beach, FL
  • Rock On!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 18:43:44 »

Nice Charger!  :cool: :w00t:
The driver of a 1985 Plymouth Gran Fury Salon called The Cherry Bomb
"Paint it red"-Sammy Hagar
"Its like a carburetor instigator"-Quiet Riot
"I need a shot of gasoline"-Cinderella

DobaMark

• Administrator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Pittsburgh
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 10:27:15 »

My first car was a 1976 Charger, just an SE so no two tone.

M_Body_Coupe

• Dippy God
  • Windsor, ON, Canada
  • aka Diplomat360
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 10:36:47 »

The 360 block that spent the last 10 yrs in my coupe came out of a '74 Cordoba.

Regardless, love the ride, and I absolutely love your wordsmithing!!! What a pleasure to read....
1980 Dodge Diplomat Coupe, 360-4bbl, 727, 3.91 SG motivated sleeper!
1981 Dodge Diplomat Coupe, /6 38K mi. survivor car, awaiting restoration.
Pages: [1] |   Go Up