Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 |   Go Down

Author Topic: Gen 3 Hemi  (Read 5959 times)

brotherGood

• Generationally Challenged
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Urbana, OH
  • Starve the Ego, Feed the Soul
Re: Gen 3 Hemi
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2019, 13:38:59 »

The 318/360/magnum option is by far the best financial option, but Im for the 5.7 swap myself. I've seen enough done in F's alone to make me reconsider phase 2 for my car. My 318 with magnum heads runs extremely stout, but the pull out 5.7s with the harnesses, it looks fairly simple (big thing seems to be getting all the wiring with the engine/controllers)
'86 Dodge Diplomat AHB. Rebuilt 318 LA/Magnum, cop 904, 8.25 rear.

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

Darth-Car

• Dippy Oracle
  • Ohio
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2019, 15:31:07 »

I wonder how many computers you have to grab to make the thing work right?  Is it going to throw a fit when it has no inputs from an electronic trany, or cruise control systems, and any oter myriad of goofy system sensors?  What about interior computers, or dash clusters, would you need those too?  I'm sure you can make it run, but if it is in limp mode, or some other form of trickery contrived sensor system bypass, your mileage may be lousy. :(
Until The Next Dimension,
The Admiral
Dayton, Ohio, USA

DobaMark

• Administrator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Pittsburgh
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2019, 16:49:36 »

I wonder how many computers you have to grab to make the thing work right?  Is it going to throw a fit when it has no inputs from an electronic trany, or cruise control systems, and any oter myriad of goofy system sensors?  What about interior computers, or dash clusters, would you need those too?  I'm sure you can make it run, but if it is in limp mode, or some other form of trickery contrived sensor system bypass, your mileage may be lousy. :(
This modern Hemi swap has been done enough there are lots of swaps and how tos on the internet. From stand alone engines to making a lot of the modern electronics work in an older car, the info is out there. It’s a great swap. Not the easiest, but quite rewarding.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 16:50:47 by DobaMark »

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2019, 17:46:25 »

And not just the computers but looking for the right inputs from them too. But there's been enough aftermarket swaps now that I'm sure people are either tuning the main computer or using an aftermarket one that deals with it all.
One thing I haven't heard, although I never really paid much attention either to be honest, is do the aftermarket swaps still use the cylinder deactivation and variable timing or is it straight V8 all the time. I guess maybe both depending on how much someone wants to spend on the computer and time to get it all setup.

brotherGood

• Dippy Oracle
  • Urbana, OH
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2019, 04:57:32 »

Most swaps that I've heard did not utilize the MDS/VVT. A majority of them however have been for racing applications though, so that's just something extra that could cause a problem.

I'm slowly starting to obtain more info on the swap myself..just in case I end up going down that path. Former member here 1980Volare has a turbo 5.7 in his now..but hes racing it more than anything. Last time we talked, we talked about that and he said it's really not much more work than putting a 5.9 magnum in..and the payoff is much more in return.

lsm360

• Dippy Oracle
  • Melbourne, FL
  • Facts can be stubborn things
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2019, 19:32:47 »

DobaMark is right, it's been done many times now and the information is out there, and should be very rewarding in regards to power, drivability and fuel mileage.
'89 Diplomat S code AHB now with FI 410 C.I.D. smallblock
1979 Power Wagon 150 Short bed Factory 360-4
2010 Charger Pursuit 5.7

brotherGood

• Dippy Oracle
  • Urbana, OH
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2019, 20:28:11 »

DobaMark is right, it's been done many times now and the information is out there, and should be very rewarding in regards to power, drivability and fuel mileage.

So, when are you starting yours? Haha

80 Lebaron Coupe

• 5 M Coupes
  • Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Diplomaniac Drive, East Texas.
  • Lebaron Coupe. Muscle with a touch of Class.
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2019, 07:55:06 »

So, when are you starting yours? Haha
Yeah, Put a Hemi in the Power Wagon :D
5 1980 & 81 M Coupes
88 Dodge Diplomat AHB
80 Plymouth Volare Duster
80 & 2-83 Dodge Miradas

lsm360

• Dippy Oracle
  • Melbourne, FL
  • Facts can be stubborn things
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2019, 16:59:35 »

I've already began researching. That's how I know it's been done so many times. I would absolutely love a 6.4 in my Power Wagon. I'm not sure though if I want to modify it in that way.

One thing I know for sure; I MUST ALWAYS have and old school Mopar! That's my first love. But keeping the factory look but swapping in a 6.4 or 6.1 in my Power Wagon would be awesome, and yes, I am considering. Ramchargercentral.com has a lot of info, along with other sites.
'89 Diplomat S code AHB now with FI 410 C.I.D. smallblock
1979 Power Wagon 150 Short bed Factory 360-4
2010 Charger Pursuit 5.7

wolfsblood07

• Dippy Groupie
  • Arizona
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2019, 22:11:53 »

My personal view is that the best way to enjoy a car is to keep it original.  If I had the money to buy an M body as a 2nd car, I would want it to have the old reliable 318 cubic inch V8 with a factory-spec carburetor, to get the true experience of the car.  If you really want a 3rd gen Hemi, which is a great engine, you can get a used Charger at a decent price and not have to worry about swapping engines.
If you do the engine swap on the Fifth Avenue, it's a lot of work, time and money and even if all goes well, you have a car that might have less collector value than before.  If it really needs a new engine, I'd rather put in another 318 from that era.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 21:12:26 by wolfsblood07 »

270SE

• The Other F-body (the one that's fast)
  • Dippy Oracle
  • NC
  • Vinyl, woodgrain, and shag- that's an interior
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2019, 23:58:38 »

That'd all depend. On the one hand, the '09+ motors are better, but an early 6.1 isn't outrageously priced and early 5.7 donors can be affordable enough to risk it. 2006 is the newest I've seen without security, which makes the OE computer swap easy but still means for any of the cars you'll need a pan or a good deal of work. If you take the whole underhood wiring, it becomes more about making sure the right things are powered in the right instances than anything else. Lately I've been kind of wanting to Hemi swap a WJ because I'm a bit of an idiot.

80 Lebaron Coupe

• 5 M Coupes
  • Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2019, 05:22:36 »

My personal view is that the best way to enjoy a car is to keep it original.  If I had the money to buy an M body as a 2nd car, I would want it to have the old reliable 318 cubic inch V8 with a factory-spec carburetor, to get the true experience of the car.  If you really want a 3rd gen Hemi, which is a great engine, you can get a used Charger at a decent price and not have to worry about swapping engines.
If you do the engine swap on the 5th Avenue, it's a lot of work, time and money and even if all goes well, you have a car that might have less collector value than before.  If it really needs a new engine, I'd rather put in another 318 from that era.
:thumb:
5 1980 & 81 M Coupes
88 Dodge Diplomat AHB
80 & 2-83 Dodge Miradas

brotherGood

• Dippy Oracle
  • Urbana, OH
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2019, 08:25:41 »

Cant do this with a stock 318

80 Lebaron Coupe

• 5 M Coupes
  • Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2019, 14:58:41 »

Cant do this with a stock 318
That's because the stock 318 was never designed to do that.
That's why the 340 was invented.
5 1980 & 81 M Coupes
88 Dodge Diplomat AHB
80 & 2-83 Dodge Miradas

Darth-Car

• Dippy Oracle
  • Ohio
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2019, 07:17:39 »

That'd all depend. On the one hand, the '09+ motors are better, but an early 6.1 isn't outrageously priced and early 5.7 donors can be affordable enough to risk it. 2006 is the newest I've seen without security, which makes the OE computer swap easy but still means for any of the cars you'll need a pan or a good deal of work. If you take the whole underhood wiring, it becomes more about making sure the right things are powered in the right instances than anything else. Lately I've been kind of wanting to Hemi swap a WJ because I'm a bit of an idiot.
No WJ is complete without a Cummins 4BT! 
Until The Next Dimension,
The Admiral
Dayton, Ohio, USA
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 |   Go Up