Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Overpriced NOS taillight lenses on ebay  (Read 1730 times)

lsm360

• Dippy Oracle
  • Melbourne, FL
  • Facts can be stubborn things
Overpriced NOS taillight lenses on ebay
« on: June 02, 2021, 12:59:16 »

I think they will be no sale at this price. And if you've ever replaced just the lenses it's not a fun job. Removing all the old butyl is PITA. But having new lenses helps because you don't have to worry about preserve the old ones when removing. That was the hardest part when I re-sealed mine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294206247976?
'89 Diplomat S code AHB now with FI 410 C.I.D. smallblock
1979 Power Wagon 150 Short bed Factory 360-4
2010 Charger Pursuit 5.7

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
Re: Overpriced NOS taillight lenses on ebay
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 22:54:36 »

That is on the high side especially considering you're going to have a shiny new tail light lens in an old looking housing. That's not going to stand out at all :blink:

wolfmandip

• Dippy Groupie
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2021, 08:14:22 »

The tricky feature on tail lights is the chromed areas, and the seller is pointing out in the pics that they have some blems.  Just because NOS does not mean perfect.  Is there a technical thread (anywhere?) on how to re-chrome these?  It's something I've been thinking about for a while...

lsm360

• Dippy Oracle
  • Melbourne, FL
  • Facts can be stubborn things
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2021, 15:26:03 »

Don't know if there's a thread but they do make some sprays that are to imitate chrome. Eastwood has some for example. I would sand with very high grit if needed, clean with alcohol and tape off and spray.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 15:27:06 by lsm360 »
'89 Diplomat S code AHB now with FI 410 C.I.D. smallblock
1979 Power Wagon 150 Short bed Factory 360-4
2010 Charger Pursuit 5.7

wolfmandip

• Dippy Groupie
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 19:08:22 »

I put an offer in and the seller messaged me.  Apparently he used to be on this board, and is open to offers on the lenses.  Hint: $100 won't do it

DiploMatt

• "Seriously, what the **** is wrong with you?"
  • Dippy Die-Hard
  • East Providence RI/ Lebanon CT
  • I'm not happy until the tires pop
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2021, 21:32:10 »

I think they will be no sale at this price. And if you've ever replaced just the lenses it's not a fun job. Removing all the old butyl is PITA. But having new lenses helps because you don't have to worry about preserve the old ones when removing. That was the hardest part when I re-sealed mine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294206247976?

Finally figured out the old email I had used with my username... anyways, I'm selling the overpriced lenses.heres what I sent to Mr. Wolfmandip...

I have the tail lights priced high because I'm waiting to see what kind of offers I get. I've seen single, non NOS ones sell for $90-100 so I just doubled that and added a little more.

I'd like to sell them to someone who is actually going to put them on their car, not just sell them and try and make some money.  I got them at Carlisle a while back to put on my car but never got around to it.I forgot what I paid for them there, but what do you think a fair price is?  I'm willing to give a break to someone off of the Dippy website, especially if they're actually going to be put on a car and not just flipped for a quick buck.
1987 Dodge Diplomat AHB
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

M_Body_Coupe

• Dippy God
  • Windsor, ON, Canada
  • aka Diplomat360
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 11:09:24 »

Oh yee of little faith...there absolutely is a way to bring that shiny chrome feeling back!

Alright, may not be all that easy, but way back when, I restored my lenses for the coupe. I had a complete write-up on this site here, including pics...haven't looked for them now though.

Anyways, if my memory serves me right I used one of these "chrome finish" spray can deals. Have to take a bit of care to avoid any sags, but overall things turns out pretty nice. Made for a pretty "nnnoooo...why meeee????" moment when I was re-installing the lenses back in the housing only to hear that 'pop' sound of plastic cracking somewhere. Well, that somewhere was right in the face of the lense, towards one of the ends, so not all that visible...but it's there.

Plan on spending most of your time masking off the lenses or the housing, and these are some pretty tight lines, so you need to pick up the thin masking tape.
1980 Dodge Diplomat Coupe, 360-4bbl, 727, 3.91 SG motivated sleeper!
1981 Dodge Diplomat Coupe, /6 38K mi. survivor car, awaiting restoration.
Pages: [1] |   Go Up