Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Prospect62 (Part II) The AHB Files  (Read 14296 times)

Prospect62

• Dippy God
  • Marcy, NY
Re: Prospect62 (Part II) The AHB Files
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2017, 18:31:54 »

Well, it's been awhile. I've done a bunch of small stuff to the car since I posted my last photos in June 2015 (!).

Replaced all headlights and buckets (NOS bezels haven't come out of the box yet), cleaned and painted the area behind the grille, wet sanded and polished the tail lights (then bought better ones from cbody anyway), cleaned and polished the chrome and metal work, polished and installed the spotlight, basically just cleaned and polished everything and started putting stuff back on. Also had the wheels media blasted and painted with gloss black DuPont Imron paint and wrapped some brand new Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T radials (225/70/15) around them. For some reason, I replaced the window "wipes" (or whatever you call them I'm still not entirely sure) as outlined here:

https://www.dippy.org/forum2/index.php?topic=14495.0

That was about five four hour days of sweat-pouring, swearing, bleeding, hand-killing work just to have brandy new soft and supple window wipe things. Also, I shattered my passenger side rear window in the process and had to spend a few weeks finding a replacement and a few more days putting that in without breaking it again. It's the one thing I see neglected on EVERY show car I've ever seen and one thing I can be proud to say looks damn good on my car.

Other than that, I've spend the last year gathering parts to swap out the lean burn. Sent out my non-feedback Q-jet for a rebuild. I got a mini starter (yet to go in). I have been spending inordinate amounts of money on cop sh*t, and I think I'm finally done, with the exception of the piece of resistance (sic), the light bar. Haven't found what I need yet. Next, I have to install it all. It'll take me all summer.

My goal is to have it at least running very well and looking even better by fall. I don't expect to have it marked and show/parade ready by then. Disassembly, cleaning and painting of the under side (axles, springs, driveshaft, etc) will be first this spring. After that, ignition and fuel followed by engine compartment detailing (clean & paint). Then the cop sh*t. Then it'll be time for hibernation again.

Anyway, here's some photos of the old girl this past fall before she went into the garage for the winter. Enjoy. Stay tuned.

(Don't get freaked out by the missing trunk lock cover - NOS one has been installed and looks great, just no photos of it yet.)

« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 18:46:50 by Prospect62 »
1987 Plymouth Gran Fury AHB
Disclaimer: I've probably had a few beers.

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

Darth-Car

• Dippy Oracle
  • Ohio
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2017, 19:56:16 »

Looking Good!
Until The Next Dimension,
The Admiral
Dayton, Ohio, USA

Prospect62

• Dippy God
  • Marcy, NY
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2017, 14:24:20 »

Put the mini starter on today.

All I wanted to do was back the car out so I could hang new fluorescent lights in my garage. In the process of getting fuel back to the carb (endless cranking) the old boat anchor starter gave up the ghost. Luckily, I had the mini sitting in the back seat. An hour later, she fired right up. Man I don't know why I waited so long to put that in, its an INCREDIBLE improvement.

T229

• Dippy Junkie
  • Florida
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2017, 19:47:27 »

How many miles on that rig?
Nick- 2016 Dodge Challenger R/T 392 6.4 Hemi
2011 Chevy Silverado 4.8L
1995 Chevy Impala SS 5.7 LT-1
1989 Plymouth Gran Fury AHB

Prospect62

• Dippy God
  • Marcy, NY
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2017, 20:04:04 »

No idea. Never been a concern of mine, and whatever the odometer says I never put much stock into it.

Isn't that weird? I don't even know. All I know is how it looks and how it runs, and I'm happy with both.

It's not some low-miles show piece. It was an actual police car in Oregon or Washington State, and it was used and abused by a few private owners after that hard life.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 20:05:26 by Prospect62 »

MarkM

• Dippy Oracle
  • Michigan
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2017, 20:47:07 »

You've put a lot of time into that car and it shows.  Beautiful work.
87' Fifth Avenue - 512/518/8.75 - built for twisties

Prospect62

• Dippy God
  • Marcy, NY
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2017, 09:16:47 »

Thanks Mark, I appreciate that.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 09:17:12 by Prospect62 »

Firemax

• 89 Diplomat AHB
  • Dippy Junkie
  • Cleveland OH
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2017, 08:40:34 »

Did the car have a push bar on it at one time? I see the extra holes in the front bumper so I wondered. I've seen the window gaskets called window channel and drip edge. But I'm not really sure what the name for them is either.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 09:10:36 by Firemax »

Prospect62

• Dippy God
  • Marcy, NY
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2017, 09:40:40 »

Did the car have a push bar on it at one time? I see the extra holes in the front bumper so I wondered.

Yep I believe it did, and I actually have a set but no mounting brackets. I don't think I'm going to use them, and I have a really nice front bumper without holes to go on the car in the spring.
Pages: 1 2 [3] |   Go Up