Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: ?Dakota leaf swap?  (Read 3115 times)

5th/miller

• Dippy Junkie
?Dakota leaf swap?
« on: December 16, 2012, 14:44:53 »

Does anyone make the brakets needed to install the Dakota springs? Also does it sit higher with them swapped? Any pics would be appreciated.

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

fifthcrunch

• Dippy God
Re: ?Dakota leaf swap?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 16:00:22 »

Whether it sits higher depends on which dakota springs you use.  There are, I think, 3 different ratings.  The higher ratings will make it look like it's ready for the drags.

5th/miller

• Dippy Junkie
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 16:26:38 »

Rating shouldn't affect height unless the cars weight is more than a Dakota thus making the springs sag. Every Dakota Ive seen looks to be the same height if 2wd and same if 4wd.  Not to many lifted drag cars anymore unless for nostalgia.

fifthcrunch

• Dippy God
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 18:21:37 »

The higher rated dakota springs are arched a lot more.  That's what makes it  sit higher.  Could have a spring shop de-arch them.
I think firmfeel makes spring hangers.

79dodge4ever

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • windsor NS Canada
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 20:37:17 »

Rating shouldn't affect height unless the cars weight is more than a Dakota thus making the springs sag. Every Dakota Ive seen looks to be the same height if 2wd and same if 4wd.  Not to many lifted drag cars anymore unless for nostalgia.

only thing that differs from a 2wd dakota and a 4wd with the height is the rear end; 2wd have the rear end mounted above the springs and 4wd have them mounted under the springs
When told the reason for daylight savings time an old Indian said, “only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket”

5th/miller

• Dippy Junkie
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 22:01:34 »

only thing that differs from a 2wd dakota and a 4wd with the height is the rear end; 2wd have the rear end mounted above the springs and 4wd have them mounted under the springs
I wasnt comparing a 2wd to a 4wd. I was stating all 2wds I've seen sat the same Height and all the 4wds sat the same height. Where does it say the arch is where the get their spring rate cause thats the first I've ever heard that. Diff rates go off of amount of leaf per pack and thickness of leaf. I personally want my car to sit a couple inches higher.

fifthcrunch

• Dippy God
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 05:31:42 »

If you take the spring off, you can see the arch.  It can be a lot more than the fifth.  If you use the higher rated spring, the back end will sit a lot higher.

79dodge4ever

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • windsor NS Canada
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 10:17:02 »

I wasnt comparing a 2wd to a 4wd. I was stating all 2wds I've seen sat the same Height and all the 4wds sat the same height. Where does it say the arch is where the get their spring rate cause thats the first I've ever heard that. Diff rates go off of amount of leaf per pack and thickness of leaf. I personally want my car to sit a couple inches higher.

all you have to do is add a couple leafs under the main one insted of trying to make a dakota spring pack fit

and yes 4wd dakotas sit higher but use the same springs; you can always tell a 4wd from a 2wd at first glance
When told the reason for daylight savings time an old Indian said, “only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket”

5th/miller

• Dippy Junkie
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 15:05:00 »

all you have to do is add a couple leafs under the main one insted of trying to make a dakota spring pack fit

and yes 4wd dakotas sit higher but use the same springs; you can always tell a 4wd from a 2wd at first glance

I know the 4wds sit higher. Im saying all 2wds I've seen sit the same height none sit way higher. All the 4wds I see sit the same height none sit way higher. Unless All the ones I've seen have the
 same load rating.
My springs sag more than I like. Adding leafs is only a bandage for needing new or re arched springs.

79dodge4ever

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • windsor NS Canada
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 15:20:35 »

I know the 4wds sit higher. Im saying all 2wds I've seen sit the same height none sit way higher. All the 4wds I see sit the same height none sit way higher. Unless All the ones I've seen have the
 same load rating.
My springs sag more than I like. Adding leafs is only a bandage for needing new or re arched springs.

if you add every leaf from below the main down you won't have problems; I done that to one and it still sits the same as it did when it was done

a band aid fix is air shocks; they do more damage then good

5th/miller

• Dippy Junkie
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 16:46:42 »

Ive never heard of air shocks hurting anything before. They will have to do for now.

Is it possible to just run a longer shackles so the rear bracket doesn't need moved if Dakota springs are used?

spike

• StreeT SweepaZ
  • Dippy Oracle
  • sticks of wisconsin
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 17:03:30 »

air shocks are not ment to hold up the car as they put more stress on the sheetmetal tabs on the body and on the lower shock mount and over time can fark up the upper tabs or snap the lower stud from the weight of the car, the shocks are meant to give a firmer/stiffer ride, not hold the car up

79dodge4ever

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • windsor NS Canada
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 17:50:50 »

Ive never heard of air shocks hurting anything before. They will have to do for now.

Is it possible to just run a longer shackles so the rear bracket doesn't need moved if Dakota springs are used?

I'm pretty sure the complete spring pack from a dakota will not fit; only the ones from the main leaf down

5th/miller

• Dippy Junkie
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 18:58:35 »

The upgrade section the guy Used the leaf pack. Had to make new front bracket cause the bolt is smaller and had to make a bracket to move the shackles and mount forward do to the Dakota springs being shorter in the rear segment. That's why my first post asked about brackets aswell
Pages: [1] |   Go Up