Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] |   Go Down

Author Topic: '86 Fifth Avenue Read End question  (Read 4685 times)

270SE

• The Other F-body (the one that's fast)
  • Dippy Oracle
  • NC
  • Vinyl, woodgrain, and shag- that's an interior
Re: '86 Fifth Avenue Read End question
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 13:52:11 »

If you want to re-gear, you need at least a 2.7 or 2.9. The 2.2 and 2.4s will require the case swapped to gear 2.9 or steeper. It's possible to do and if buying open and then going LSD it's not as big a deal but if you're buying LSD off the bat or staying open- easier to just go 2.7+ out the gate.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 13:52:59 by 270SE »

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

79dodge4ever

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • windsor NS Canada
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2015, 14:25:55 »

the differential in the car will hold up just fine if you drive it like it is; a chrysler luxury car not a challenger, if you spin it; its gonna let go
When told the reason for daylight savings time an old Indian said, “only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket”

fifthcrunch

• Dippy God
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2015, 14:53:22 »

Thank you, I guess I should've mentioned I'm new here.

I've read a lot of stories about how poor and weak the stock 7.25" rear is on these cars. Also, I've read the rear end and gearing should be changed before doing anything else to the car performance wise. I plan on dual exhausting it and maybe upgrading the carb. An engine swap is too far in the future for now and the 318 I have now is running perfectly.

I realize I'm not going to be getting a whole lot of horsepower or performance out of this car, so I'm just sticking with small mods (exhaust, rear end, gears, rims, carb, maybe a nicer paint job.) A fun project, nothing too serious.
Especially in California you have to exercise care in making performance modifications.  The axle swap would be ok, but they check emissions and equipment under the hood and in the exhaust.   So there might not be much you can do.  The axle swap, if you get the right gears would be a huge performance gain.

grinner357

• Dippy Die-Hard
  • stockton, ca
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2015, 22:32:30 »

Thank you, I guess I should've mentioned I'm new here.

I've read a lot of stories about how poor and weak the stock 7.25" rear is on these cars. Also, I've read the rear end and gearing should be changed before doing anything else to the car performance wise. I plan on dual exhausting it and maybe upgrading the carb. An engine swap is too far in the future for now and the 318 I have now is running perfectly.

I realize I'm not going to be getting a whole lot of horsepower or performance out of this car, so I'm just sticking with small mods (exhaust, rear end, gears, rims, carb, maybe a nicer paint job.) A fun project, nothing too serious.
if you live in CA then i'm not sure you can do duel exhaust. fatter piping and drop the cats in the front for just a single, yes, as i will be doing that in the next few days, but unless it came factory with duelies then i'm not sure you can change it over. and headers are out, since there's no egr provisions. also, the ARB is anal about things being stock/factory original equivalent or being approved, and visuals can be fairly strict; even a simple carb/ignition swap can be an automatic fail and have to change it back if the inspector can tell its not a factory setup.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 22:34:08 by grinner357 »

lsm360

• Dippy Oracle
  • Melbourne, FL
  • Facts can be stubborn things
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2015, 03:12:08 »

Rox86; welcome, and I wonder if you were to call the yard with the 8.25 rear they might check for a tag on the diff cover that shows the ratio. May not be there after all these years. They can also figure it out for you if tag is gone. Maybe if you explain you are an hour and a half away. I really love 2.94 gears in my cars. I was fortunate enough they all came stock with 8.25 and 2.94 gears. Don't forget, you'd have to have driveshaft shortened too IIRC, but that's not a huge deal.
'89 Diplomat S code AHB now with FI 410 C.I.D. smallblock
1979 Power Wagon 150 Short bed Factory 360-4
2010 Charger Pursuit 5.7
Pages: 1 [2] |   Go Up