Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: stalling at stop lights/signs  (Read 1123 times)

79dodge4ever

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • windsor NS Canada
stalling at stop lights/signs
« on: August 22, 2010, 10:25:09 »

hey guys so the valiant is stalling at stop signs and lights has alot of new parts and doesn't make sense works good on the road besides heres some of the new parts

4.5-9 psi electric fuel pump
plugs, wires, cap, rotor button
electronic box, and ballast resistor
carter 2 barrel carburator
fuel lines, tank and sending unit
fuel filter

its 318 V8 automatic, could it be something simple thats fuel related? once had a slant six dodge aspen that did the same and I rebuilt the carb and problem solved, but this carb is only about 1 yr old, and was working great I have this same topic posted over on FABO but this is such a general carburated v8 question so I decided to get the help of the members here as well. thanks in advance!
When told the reason for daylight savings time an old Indian said, “only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket”

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

GrissomRacing

• Yeah........I've got a problem
  • Dippy Die-Hard
  • New Albany,MS
Re: stalling at stop lights/signs
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 10:38:52 »

Have you thought about fuel quality?  I don't know about Canada, but in the states 99% of our fuel has 10% ethanol.  Ethanol + carburetor = PROBLEMS!!
California is even worse!  I feel sorry for those guys!  Anyway, on a carb vehicle, ethanol will cause all kind of drivability problems.  If ethanol fuel sits in your tank for as short as 2 weeks, the quality is highly compromised.  And on top of that,  ALL new fuel has solvents added to make up for lack of natural octane.  Solvents deteriorate any rubber parts quickly.  So.... unless all the fuel in your tank is new, like today new, I'd start there.
'89 AHB Diplomat Salon - THOR
'89 D250 Ram -
'85 Diplomat SE civi - Rose
'84 AHB Gran Fury  &  '66 Dodge Polara

79dodge4ever

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • windsor NS Canada
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 11:07:50 »

our fuel doesn't contain ethanol here in Nova Scotia, but soon as you start going west of here it starts to change, lucky our fuel hasen't changed much in along time. always run supreme
When told the reason for daylight savings time an old Indian said, “only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket”

S-type

• Dippy Oracle
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 14:37:28 »

Check around for a vacuum leak or even a loose carb or one falling apart. I had a GMC HANDI-VAN and you would have to lift the engine hatch (conveniently located between the drivers and passengers seat) and tighten the screws that held the carburetor together. This happened about once a week. If you pulled up to a light and it quit it's time to tighten the carb.

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 14:42:42 »

Did you try adjusting the carb and choke? That's a big cause of stalling problems when it's nothing else.
Ive never had a problem with ethanol and carberator cars.

270SE

• The Other F-body (the one that's fast)
  • Dippy Oracle
  • NC
  • Vinyl, woodgrain, and shag- that's an interior
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 15:27:40 »

Did you try adjusting the carb and choke? That's a big cause of stalling problems when it's nothing else.
Ive never had a problem with ethanol and carberator cars.
Choke adjustments/misadjustments can be the major causes of stalling issues.

Ethanol and carbs may not like each other, but they won't stall just because of ethanol in gas.

79dodge4ever

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • windsor NS Canada
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 15:32:16 »

as said before no ethonal in fuel pumped around here,choke works properly as its a hand choke, could be dirt in the idle circuit but I guess I will have to check it out!

jareds84dipper

• Dippy Groupie
  • Nova Scotia , Canada
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 12:44:32 »

ive had (and sometimes still have) this exact same problem with my 84s 318 2 bbl , it would always work like a champ in the top end revs , but i wouldnt idle for crap and would die when hauled into gear , but all it needed was some attention and adjustment to the fast idle mixture screw , and adjusting ur idle would most definatly help some too

79dodge4ever

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • windsor NS Canada
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 15:22:57 »

ive had (and sometimes still have) this exact same problem with my 84s 318 2 bbl , it would always work like a champ in the top end revs , but i wouldnt idle for crap and would die when hauled into gear , but all it needed was some attention and adjustment to the fast idle mixture screw , and adjusting ur idle would most definatly help some too

I got it fixed now, simple vacuum leak that wasent so simple to find, hey jareds84dipper where in NS do you live? I live outside windsor NS and have alot of parts
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 15:24:31 by 79dodge4ever »

moparmuscle88

• Gearhead
  • Inactive
  • Dippy God
  • Westminster, MD
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 19:21:13 »

sounds like the choke needs to be adjusted
'88 Fifth Avenue 318 4bbl, cammed, hooker super comps w/ 2.5 duals w/ x pipe, eddy streetmaster single plane, 360 heads, mancini racing alternator kit, HEI ignition, 7.25 sure grip w/ 3.73's A999 (slippin) no a/c no smog, just motor...

79dodge4ever

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • windsor NS Canada
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 20:47:14 »

nahh it was a vacuum leak :whist:
Pages: [1] |   Go Up