Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Advancing stock '84 318 cam?  (Read 922 times)

Erics5th

Advancing stock '84 318 cam?
« on: July 06, 2010, 08:49:49 »

I am going to be replacing the timing set on the 318 in my '84 5th Avenue. I bought a Cloyes double roller timing set with a 3 way crank sprocket, allowing me to set my cam either stock, 2 degrees retarded or 2 degrees advanced. I have read on some sites that advancing the cam will help me pick up some low end torque. True? I have already installed an Edelbrock Performer intake (to replace the old SP2P manifold) and am still using the Eddy 1406 carburetor with 2.94 gears. I am going to be taking the car from Seattle to Lubbock, so I don't want to adversly affect anything. I would replace the cam with a stock 340 piece, but I just don't have the time right now, and I figured while I was there.. :whist:

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

GrissomRacing

• Yeah........I've got a problem
  • Dippy Die-Hard
  • New Albany,MS
Re: Advancing stock '84 318 cam?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 14:48:59 »

I don't see why that would be a problem.  And from everything I've read, you should pick up some low end torque.  How much?  Probably not much.  Factory cams are cut on close LCA's, with low lift, and are pretty much a low end cam anyway.  You probably won't notice any difference.  Worth a try though, I guess.  Never hurts to try.
'89 AHB Diplomat Salon - THOR
'89 D250 Ram -
'85 Diplomat SE civi - Rose
'84 AHB Gran Fury  &  '66 Dodge Polara
Pages: [1] |   Go Up