Interior work, finally! The car has been desperately in need on an interior overhaul; I've been running without a headliner for eight years or so. Last November I came across a red leather 5A at the local u-pick-it thanks to a member here. The interior was immaculate so I pulled the carpet, door panels, passenger seat and other odds and ends. This car was also an '88 without shag carpet and I hate shag, so bonus.
Last week I finally swapped in the good parts. My door panels were OK, but were shag on the bottom so I swapped it all to match.
The old Pepsi, Cheeto and oil encrusted carpet.
The new junkyard carpet is in such great shape I didn't even bother looking for new. When I got it home I scrubbed the crap out of it in the basement and used the good vacuum cleaner (don't tell the wife). I also changed the interior lighting over to LED during this.
Next up was installing the passenger seat, but I wanted it to replace the driver's seat. I absolutely hate 60/40 seats and have always wanted a center console in this car.
This wasn't a straightforward swap though. The driver's power track does in fact bolt up to the passenger seat frame, but when placed in the car the seat is too far over to the outside and rubs the B-pillar. To fix this I made brackets out of 1" x 1/8" angle iron to shift the seat two inches to the right. If you look closely you can also see the shims I had to make to level the seat. I had to add 1" worth to the outside to level it; four pieces of 1/4" flat stock did the trick.
The overall plan is to move the power seat controls into the center console whenever I can find one. I lengthened the harness by two feet and let the controls sit between the seats as they won't bolt into the seat as it doesn't have the cutout for a six-way switch.
I have an interior guy working on the headliner now. More to come!