Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 |   Go Down

Author Topic: Orange "Diagnostics connector" plug on right fender  (Read 4215 times)

80Kaitsu

• On the path...
  • Finland
Orange "Diagnostics connector" plug on right fender
« on: April 02, 2016, 00:13:06 »

Hello to everyone from Finland! I am a fresh restoration mechanic, car I used on exams was 1980 Dodge Aspen. F,M and J- bodies all seem to have the connector, but how can it be scanned? I mean, there´s different analyzers for ECU and ESA, but they only tell tales about ignition system.

I looked at several electrical diagrams and the 10- pin connector has wiring to at least the battery, alternator, starter and starter relay. My information tells me that it can do almost 64 different functions...

The reason I´m asking is because I´m trying to open up a restoration shop that does Mopars only, from 1964 to 1984, and I´m curious if repairs can be done any quicker with some kind of scan tool.

Thanks for everyone responding!

P.S. I´m looking for ESA analyzer, does anyone happen to have one to spare?

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

fifthcrunch

• Dippy God
Re: Orange "Diagnostics connector" plug on right fender
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 07:16:31 »

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-tool-other/calgary/chrysler-dodge-based-test-eqipment-adaptors-transducers/1147382351?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Welcome.  You're adding more international flair to the forum.  The above is a link to some mopar diagnostic equipment.  The mopars you're dealing with are all pre-obd, so the obd and can scanners don't work.  It is interesting that there is a plug for an appropriate scanner.  I didn't know that.  I believe that it is very difficult to analyze these mopar systems for problems.  A lot of the members on this forum are of the opinion that it is almost never the fault of the computer when something goes wrong.  But I have read that mopar dealers experienced a 64% failure rate of these computers.  And the one on my Fifth Ave had 3 bad circuits (which led me to remove the lean burn system).  The computer on the civilian cars is mounted on the air cleaner.  This subjects the computer to engine compartment heat and vibration.  It has been found that the circuit board bases crack, leading to failure.
I think the first thing for you to do is to get a factory service manual.  This is available on the net.  Just google it.  The fsm has elaborate testing procedures for the lean burn system.  This is pretty good, but you can also do most of the testing by seat-of-the-pants work.  Most of the time problems are caused by the usual stuff: plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, pickup, etc.  Another favorite problem area is vacuum leaks.  There are lots of vacuum hoses.  With age the rubber cracks and leaks.  These systems run very lean, so a vacuum leak is serious.   A search on this forum can often lead to a solution to any problem.  Again, welcome.

DobaMark

• Administrator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Pittsburgh
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 09:21:58 »

There was a dealer equipment scanner used for these.  The system is simple enough that it really isn't necessary.  If you found one cheap, maybe.

80Kaitsu

• On the path...
  • Finland
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 09:24:13 »

Thank you for warm welcomes! I already have some of the appropriate factory service manuals on my laptop by Detroit Iron. I was thinking that if there was someone here with even a photo of ESA analyzer or OBD computer, that would help me very much.

The need of these diagnostic tools are because here in Finland, you can´t charge a customer by actual hours spent on work, but an estimated time: sometimes 1 hour job takes 30 minutes and sometimes half a day... company still charges for an hour as estimated beforehand.

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 12:00:56 »

That plug won't give any codes, it probably would have made a couple of lights on a test box turn on to tell you what's going on.
If you really want the old equipment the only way you're really going to find it is to go through your service manuals and then search for the part numbers on ebay. Then hope the near 40 year old equipment still works properly and stays working.

Ice Cold

• Dippy Oracle
  • Frozen Wastelands, Canada
  • Mopar or No Car
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 14:00:20 »

Dude, you are Finnish and this car in Finland came up.
https://www.dippy.org/forum2/index.php?topic=15253.0

The auto translate really messes up Finnish to English. :doh:
  Nyt edullisesti upea yksilö Dodge Diplomat Coupe kesäksi! Toista samanlaista ei takuulla tule vastaan. Punainen nahkasisusta, ikäisekseen hyväkuntoinen. Katsastettu 8/15. Ajoneuvo muutettu 42% eli kori vaihdettu. Soita ja tule katsomaan! Yhteydenotot vain puhelimitse!

Now, preferably a magnificent specimen Dodge Diplomat Coupe for the summer ! Repeat the same is not guaranteed to be received . Red leather interior , good condition for her age . Inspected 8/15 . Vehicle converted to 42 %, which was changed to the basket . Call and come to see ! Contact only by phone !

So what is 'Repeat the same is not guaranteed to be received'?? :umm:
Vehicle converted to 42 %, which was changed to the basket?? :umm:
Is that something about the exchange rate? :hmm:

1988 Fifth Ave
1987 Diplomat
1989 Diplomat AHB
1979 Lebaron Medallion 4dr
1979 Lebaron Coupe
1977 Aspen R/T
All drivers.
Too many cars and still looking.

fifthcrunch

• Dippy God
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 14:07:47 »

Thank you for warm welcomes! I already have some of the appropriate factory service manuals on my laptop by Detroit Iron. I was thinking that if there was someone here with even a photo of ESA analyzer or OBD computer, that would help me very much.

The need of these diagnostic tools are because here in Finland, you can´t charge a customer by actual hours spent on work, but an estimated time: sometimes 1 hour job takes 30 minutes and sometimes half a day... company still charges for an hour as estimated beforehand.
[/quote  Your shop is working on what is called flat rate in the US.  Which doesn't apply very well on some of the services on these cars.  There isn't really a quick way to diagnose them.  These computers don't store trouble codes, and the obd scanner doesn't work.  So they don't telll you what's wrong.  You have to spend the diagnostic time.  But the oscilloscope can be a big help in tracing ignition faults.  It seems no one has them anymore.  In the US most shops will, on pre-obd cars, tell the customer it needs a tune-up, and that can cover most of the usual problems and be done within flat rate time.

Ice Cold

• Dippy Oracle
  • Mopar or No Car
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 21:07:05 »

Here's the unit.
Google 'Chrysler C-4166'
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 21:07:51 by Ice Cold »
1988 Fifth Ave
1987 Diplomat
1989 Diplomat AHB
1979 Lebaron Coupe
1977 Aspen R/T
All drivers.

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 22:43:24 »

I don't think those have the connector for that fender plug, just for the Orange box ecu.

80Kaitsu

• On the path...
  • Finland
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 23:00:59 »

Dude, you are Finnish and this car in Finland came up.
https://www.dippy.org/forum2/index.php?topic=15253.0

The auto translate really messes up Finnish to English. :doh:
  Nyt edullisesti upea yksilö Dodge Diplomat Coupe kesäksi! Toista samanlaista ei takuulla tule vastaan. Punainen nahkasisusta, ikäisekseen hyväkuntoinen. Katsastettu 8/15. Ajoneuvo muutettu 42% eli kori vaihdettu. Soita ja tule katsomaan! Yhteydenotot vain puhelimitse!

Now, preferably a magnificent specimen Dodge Diplomat Coupe for the summer ! Repeat the same is not guaranteed to be received . Red leather interior , good condition for her age . Inspected 8/15 . Vehicle converted to 42 %, which was changed to the basket . Call and come to see ! Contact only by phone !

So what is 'Repeat the same is not guaranteed to be received'?? :umm:
Vehicle converted to 42 %, which was changed to the basket?? :umm:
Is that something about the exchange rate? :hmm:

So yes, the first "repeat" thing means that seller guarantees its unique and you wont see another of these on the road with you:D.  The Basket thing means that 42 percent of cars original parts are swapped, in this case basket refers to body, which is swapped for this car. The exchange rate defines the vehicles ifentity: if theres over 50% of original parts swapped, you have re- register the vehicle and pay new vehicle tax on it. Same goes for motorcycles, trucks and buses.

The thing with these M- body Aspens is that they try to get people to buy an Aspen for the price of Diplomat. Aspens go for around 4000 euros if they´re in decent condition, whereas an M- body might cost 8000 to 10000 euros, if its a real M- body. No M- body was ever imported to Finland by importer, so that´s why they pay so much.

Hope this clears the situation:P

80Kaitsu

• On the path...
  • Finland
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 23:02:58 »

Here's the unit.
Google 'Chrysler C-4166'

Thanks for the effort, but that indeed is for ECU ignition. I already have C-4166-A tester I found on Ebay. Your tester seems to be in more solid condition though...

80Kaitsu

• On the path...
  • Finland
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 23:06:49 »

I finally found this photo of "Chrysler Engine Electronic Performance Analyzer".... I hope that if I found one, it ain´t pre-production version or I can´t fit any customer vehicles to my shop anymore:D

Also, analyzer for ESA seem to be rather pricy as well: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-3840510-Electronic-Spark-Advance-System-Analyzer-Model-II-3614-3840708-/121765553348
The bidding has ended, but thats how the analyzer should look...
There is another one that is still on sale: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-electronic-spark-advance-system-analyzer-estate-find-untested-as-is-/222046541284?hash=item33b30155e4:g:NmMAAOSwZ8ZW1rN3&item=222046541284&vxp=mtr

Anyone interested on going on the road and test it for me?:P The cheaper tester seems like it might be a bit broken. Although the trolly seems nice to carry the thing around.

Damn, I can´t undo the font type :hmm:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 23:15:10 by 80Kaitsu »

Ice Cold

• Dippy Oracle
  • Mopar or No Car
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2016, 07:42:43 »

Thanks for the good translation.
I had the first one right, but the second about the basket, I was way off.
1988 Fifth Ave
1987 Diplomat
1989 Diplomat AHB
1979 Lebaron Coupe
1977 Aspen R/T
All drivers.

270SE

• The Other F-body (the one that's fast)
  • Dippy Oracle
  • NC
  • Vinyl, woodgrain, and shag- that's an interior
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2016, 12:41:38 »

There was a dealer equipment scanner used for these.  The system is simple enough that it really isn't necessary.  If you found one cheap, maybe.
This is what I'm thinking. It'll be unfortunate in your more extreme scenarios but I doubt the test equipment will give you enough information to get beyond simple hands-on testing.

Ice Cold

• Dippy Oracle
  • Mopar or No Car
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 15:18:47 »

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 15:24:20 by Ice Cold »
1988 Fifth Ave
1987 Diplomat
1989 Diplomat AHB
1979 Lebaron Coupe