Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 |   Go Down

Author Topic: 360 on hold, magnum swap instead.  (Read 8787 times)

brotherGood

• Generationally Challenged
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Urbana, OH
  • Starve the Ego, Feed the Soul
360 on hold, magnum swap instead.
« on: November 27, 2011, 15:47:26 »

Well, my plans have once again changed..lol. But this is the best option I have at the moment. The 360 magnum swap will be put aside for when the rest of the car is fixed (body/paint/etc). For now, I'm going to get my magnum heads cleaned, and gather parts for a 318 magnum head conversion. I had my builder look at my 318, and even though he hates magnum heads, he wouldn't hesitate putting them on my current motor. So now I just gotta get pushrods, lifters, head/intake bolts, gaskets, valve covers, and intake. I'm not gonna drill anything out yet, ill just stick with the magnum intake, but maybe on the next one ill attempt drilling. Just thought I'd give an update
'86 Dodge Diplomat AHB. Rebuilt 318 LA/Magnum, cop 904, 8.25 rear.

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

Bill55az

• Dippy God
  • Logan, UT and Peoria, AZ
Re: 360 on hold, magnum swap instead.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 16:13:33 »

The 318/360 magnum heads on a 318 will be a vast improvement in flow and compression will be higher as well.   You will get increased valve lift as the magnum heads have a 1.6 rocker ratio vs. 1.5.   
You may need to increase the fuel deliverly with better jets and/or metering rods.   And better exhaust as well so that won't be limiting you.   
IMO, a warmed up 318 is better than a stock 360....unless you go too far,  you can retain the gas mileage of the 318 and get the performance of a 360...
1980 Diplomat coupe, slant 6

spike

• StreeT SweepaZ
  • Dippy Oracle
  • sticks of wisconsin
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 16:21:06 »

the maggy intake aint setup for a carb, and not sure how one would fit on it, but if one did fit, it would be a 2bbl, and i think youd run into clearance issues with the hood

brotherGood

• Dippy Oracle
  • Urbana, OH
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 16:28:04 »

As far as exhaust goes, I've got true duals, and no cats. The fuel delivery subject I'm thinking about selling my BB thermoquad and getting an eddy or holley 750. The 750 is recommended on the 360 magnum crate, which I plan on following that when I build my 360. That's also about the same size as the qjet on it now isn't it? Ill also possibly put a cam in later, but it just depends on what I want to do with this motor once its out of the dip.

I'm gonna run an intake that is made for the magnum engines, either the M1, or rpm air gap. I also have a 340 intake sitting with the heads, but I'm leaning more toward a new intake, because its easier for my situation.

79dodge4ever

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • windsor NS Canada
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 18:02:38 »

as far as valve covers go the LA ones will bolt on without any problems they use every second bolt on the magnum mounting surface  and have 5 bolts insted of 10. If your looking for magnum valve covers I have a factory set but personally I think there ugly compared to LA ones
When told the reason for daylight savings time an old Indian said, “only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket”

brotherGood

• Dippy Oracle
  • Urbana, OH
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 21:14:45 »

Ive got a spare set of LA covers, could i just drill another hole to make them mount all 10? Id prefer the 10 for better sealing.

How can i figure out what size pushrods i need, or is it something that i wont know till im in there? Being its my DD still, and will probably remain so for awhile, id like to have the downtime as minimal as possible. Im looking for a solid writeup on the step by step, i saw the article in the library, but was wondering if anyone had any other input on the swap.

Thanks guys

Sublime440

• Mopar Hoarder
  • Dippy God
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 21:38:19 »

I think the pushrods are the same as for a factory magnum engine.....assuming the base circle of your cam is the same as the factory cam. I'm not sure what cam you're using, but some aftermarket cams use a smaller base circle to increase the lift.

brotherGood

• Dippy Oracle
  • Urbana, OH
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 21:40:33 »

At this point, stock. Eventually id like to swap cams, but what i'd get is still up in the air. Being an 86, I think its a roller block already, but idk if its a roller cam.

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 22:57:58 »

I'll just sit back and wait for anything to really happen.

79dodge4ever

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • windsor NS Canada
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 08:12:18 »

I'll just sit back and wait for anything to really happen.

I was going to say that, its mostly talk
When told the reason for daylight savings time an old Indian said, “only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket”

Rey

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 10:05:49 »

Aaaaw, poor Brothergood, they are saying he is crying wolf? But wait, he has the magnum heads already right? There is no stopping him this time then.  He just needs a few additional parts. With magnum heads on that police mill, I think that would be one slick engine. What the Diplomat would have evolved to if it hadn't been dropped. Go for it I say.

I think there are special length pushrods you need, if I remember right. Here is a thread talking about pushrods and length of them:
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=QuestionAnswer&Number=5117978&Searchpage=1&Main=5117978&Words=+aspenrt360&topic=&Search=true

By the way, what is a "BB" thermoquad?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 10:43:57 by Rey »

brotherGood

• Dippy Oracle
  • Urbana, OH
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 11:27:09 »

I've got a 440 thermoquad sitting around, but my thought would be it'd be too much for the 318.

Yeah, I've said a lot..I know, but I don't run around saying I'm doing them tomorrow. I ask the questions because I don't know. I'm still new to this, and differing opinions sound better at times than others. I just said I had a goal. But this is the most feasible option at the moment, as I've got the heads already.

Back to the topic in the header.

brotherGood

• Dippy Oracle
  • Urbana, OH
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 11:30:42 »

BTW 79; how is the magnum jig coming along?

79dodge4ever

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • windsor NS Canada
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 12:38:59 »

BTW 79; how is the magnum jig coming along?

the magnum jig is all built but drilling the heads got put on hold because the engine turned out to run good but was pretty nasty when I went to change the oil pan for a dakota one. I'm going to end up buying another engine

brotherGood

• Dippy Oracle
  • Urbana, OH
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 17:07:26 »

I see, well..like I said before, let me know if it works and are willing to sell me one. Ill be honest, I kinda forgot about it..lol.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 |   Go Up