Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] |   Go Down

Author Topic: 360 on hold, magnum swap instead.  (Read 9570 times)

patrickgrossman

• Dippy God
Re: 360 on hold, magnum swap instead.
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2011, 14:13:57 »

If a stock roller cam doesn't have the specs you are looking for go for a regular one. Oil has changed but there are still millions of cars driving around without problems.

get the stock roller cam reground.  bullet cams does it for $150.

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

brotherGood

• Generationally Challenged
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Urbana, OH
  • Starve the Ego, Feed the Soul
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2011, 23:17:32 »

Weird..I thought I replied already. Anyway.

$150 is more than the entire flat tappet setup though..if I had one layin around, I'd go that route. But since I don't have a roller cam, or the components, it'd be better for me at this point to go that route, rather than drop twice the money on a temporary motor. When the car is fixed up right, and the 360rear magnum goes in, this motor will be pulled apart and put back together, at which point I may go roller and stick it in something else that it won't come out of. So unless I find a heck of a deal, ill prolly go flat tappet.
'86 Dodge Diplomat AHB. Rebuilt 318 LA/Magnum, cop 904, 8.25 rear.

justkicken

• my diplomat
  • Dippy Junkie
  • florida
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2011, 16:32:26 »

magnum head swap  is the way to go!

patrickgrossman

• Dippy God
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2011, 16:45:34 »

if oyu have a complete magnum motor with re-usable pushrods and reusable roller lifters, a regrind is cheaper.  even if your stock magnum pushrods are a little short due to the reduced base circle, comp makes some for 5L fords that are .036" longer than stock and work great for $29/set (comp cams PN 7828-16).  if you have an LA roller and the pushrods are a little short, Sealed Power PN ZRP3165 are .041" longer than stock, and $1.81 ea ($29 set)

a flat tappet isn't cheaper to retrofit to an '85 up roller motor, if you have the original lifters....for a low-po, old tech cam like the summit cams, at first blush, MAYBE it's cheaper....summit cam and lifter kits are $115 ea, but for a decent quality, higher tech flat tappet cam closer in specs to a roller as far as adv/.050/.2 dur, and lift (i.e. comp XE, lunati voodoo) you're looking at $210 then you're still looking at $90 for pushrods the proper length to retrofit the magnum heads.

brotherGood

• Dippy Oracle
  • Urbana, OH
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2011, 23:04:19 »

Well, heck..considering i just got a slight raise, i may have more money to play with now..so i may go roller if its that much better. I guess my thinking is with roller, not only are the individual parts more expensive, but dont i have to buy more to get it swapped from flat to roller? Or, will the 86 cop motor already have roller in it? (i may have asked that before but dont remember the answer)

1980volare

• F guy.
  • Dippy Junkie
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2011, 23:20:26 »

Well, heck..considering i just got a slight raise, i may have more money to play with now..so i may go roller if its that much better. I guess my thinking is with roller, not only are the individual parts more expensive, but dont i have to buy more to get it swapped from flat to roller? Or, will the 86 cop motor already have roller in it? (i may have asked that before but dont remember the answer)

roller block, flat tappet cam
426ci corn fed volare x235

patrickgrossman

• Dippy God
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2011, 22:03:05 »

if the cop car was a 2bbl, it's a roller cam.  if it's a factory 4bbl, then it's a roller block, flat tappet cam.  you'll need the lifters, dogbones, pushrods, and spider from a magnum motor to use a roller cam with magnum heads.

if you've got a raise and more $$ to play with, just by my car...then you get the complete magnum headed motor, OD tranny, 8 3/4" rear, wheels, headers and 3" exhaust, etc, etc   if you like the dippy better than the 5th, swap the parts over, and sell the 5th ave after it's done

brotherGood

• Dippy Oracle
  • Urbana, OH
« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2011, 22:19:45 »

I'd love your car, but it'd be awhile before I had it saved up. But believe me, if I have the money and you've got the car...you can bet I'd buy it..lol.

Its a factory 4bbl, and so being that the motor is a temporary deal anyway, regardless of the raise..ill prolly still go with the summit flat tappet. If it'll last a couple years at the most...it's good enough for me..lol
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] |   Go Up