Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: runs better in the winter>??  (Read 1461 times)

jareds84dipper

• Dippy Groupie
  • Nova Scotia , Canada
runs better in the winter>??
« on: December 11, 2010, 20:24:03 »

instead of doing the smart thing and parking my rig for the winter and dump some sta-bil in it, i still use my diplomat some in the winter weather And it seems like once its warmed up to running temperature it seemes like it runs alot better now.   is it just cuz of the fresh cold air?

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

79dodge4ever

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • windsor NS Canada
Re: runs better in the winter>??
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 20:33:22 »

the cold air makes a car run quite abit better this is why they make cold air intakes; but also harder on fuel , it  makes your car harder on fuel because gasoline doesn’t atomize and burn as well in cold temperatures small  amounts of unburned fuel are left in the cylinder and pushed out the exhaust system when the exhaust valve opens
When told the reason for daylight savings time an old Indian said, “only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket”

jareds84dipper

• Dippy Groupie
  • Nova Scotia , Canada
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 21:03:32 »

ok and i dont really know if this is a normal thing for and engine of this age, but it has really quick throttle response. like  this isnt the first 25+ year old v8 ive ownd, but the others didnt ever seem to rev up as quickly as my 318

Ice Cold

• Dippy Oracle
  • Frozen Wastelands, Canada
  • Mopar or No Car
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 21:27:46 »

I've been using a 87 Dip as a winter car for 8 yrs. I don't notice any change during warm weather.
1988 Fifth Ave
1987 Diplomat
1989 Diplomat AHB
1979 Lebaron Medallion 4dr
1979 Lebaron Coupe
1977 Aspen R/T
All drivers.
Too many cars and still looking.

270SE

• The Other F-body (the one that's fast)
  • Dippy Oracle
  • NC
  • Vinyl, woodgrain, and shag- that's an interior
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 21:59:40 »

Even without a computer or any fancy junk a car will run better cold due to the density of the air. With a computer or fancy junk that difference is increased and once they are "in their groove" they really will make more power running on the cold, dense air charge.

Also, maybe you've had other Chrysler small blocks, but stock they are quick. Often very quick for how slow some stock vehicles can be.

S-type

• Dippy Oracle
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 07:17:44 »

Colder air has more oxygen in it because the molecules are much closer together. More oxygen, more power.

Ice Cold

• Dippy Oracle
  • Frozen Wastelands, Canada
  • Mopar or No Car
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 08:16:56 »

Colder air has more oxygen in it because the molecules are much closer together. More oxygen, more power.

You always hear about the temp in drag racing. Ya, it's nice running when it's not HOT.
1988 Fifth Ave
1987 Diplomat
1989 Diplomat AHB
1979 Lebaron Medallion 4dr
1979 Lebaron Coupe
1977 Aspen R/T
All drivers.
Too many cars and still looking.

88mbody

• Dippy Groupie
  • Portland
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 22:36:16 »

Our temperatures had been in 30s 40s and I noticed the same thing : the car runs excellent except hot idle speed keeps creeping up and gas milage is down (was 13 in city now 10)
87 gran fury
86 Crown Victoria
90 Crown Victoria
91 Astro V8

jareds84dipper

• Dippy Groupie
  • Nova Scotia , Canada
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 01:12:02 »

how much oil; pressure would my 318 have completly stock at idle? 

79dodge4ever

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • windsor NS Canada
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 08:29:03 »

how much oil; pressure would my 318 have completly stock at idle? 

20-40 pounds at idle on a worn engine, much higher if it has been taken  care of
When told the reason for daylight savings time an old Indian said, “only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket”

DobaMark

• Administrator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Pittsburgh
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 09:30:56 »

The factory spec allowable range (at least before the warning light turns on) is way lower than 20-40 psi, probably more like 5 psi.  I'd feel much better if it's in the 20-40 psi range though.  A general rule is at least 10 psi for every 1K of engine RPM, so 10 psi minimum at 1000 RPM, 50 psi if you are revving at 5000 RPM.

79dodge4ever

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • windsor NS Canada
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 09:59:01 »

The factory spec allowable range (at least before the warning light turns on) is way lower than 20-40 psi, probably more like 5 psi.  I'd feel much better if it's in the 20-40 psi range though.  A general rule is at least 10 psi for every 1K of engine RPM, so 10 psi minimum at 1000 RPM, 50 psi if you are revving at 5000 RPM.

wow never had a /6 or 318 with that low of pressure yet.  :blink:would be concerned if it was!

S-type

• Dippy Oracle
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 10:31:51 »

wow never had a /6 or 318 with that low of pressure yet.  :blink:would be concerned if it was!
I wouldn't, I had a Street Hemi that only made 15# at idle. What is important is the pressure maintains or goes up with the RPM, not down. Volume is where the problem will lie, not pressure.
Pages: [1] |   Go Up