Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 |   Go Down

Author Topic: Sick and tired of being sick and tired...  (Read 3985 times)

brotherGood

• Generationally Challenged
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Urbana, OH
  • Starve the Ego, Feed the Soul
Re: Sick and tired of being sick and tired...
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2016, 23:15:20 »

Since we're on the subject, does anybody have any thoughts on the car everybody forgets existed, the early 90s Dodge Monaco?  From what I understand, Dodge dealerships could not give them away.

Never had one, but I heard they were complete junk
'86 Dodge Diplomat AHB. Rebuilt 318 LA/Magnum, cop 904, 8.25 rear.

DobaMark

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Pittsburgh
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2016, 14:15:57 »

The K car did not die in 1989.  It lived on until 1995, though given a different platform letter the 1995 LeBaron convertible and Plymouth Aclaim and Dodge Spirit were still K cars underneath.

DobaMark

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Pittsburgh
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2016, 14:17:17 »

The later Dodge Monaco was a Renault Premier, with all the reliability issues a Renault had.

wolfsblood07

• Dippy Regular
  • Arizona
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2016, 14:44:32 »

The Dodge Spirit was cool.  In the low volume R/T configuration with 2.2 liter DOHC turbo engine, this sedate looking sedan could beat some of the baddest cars of the day.  On the downside, the R/T broke often and required a lot of maintenance.  But a regular V6 Spirit or Acclaim would be a cool beater to bang around in even now!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 14:47:35 by wolfsblood07 »

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2016, 16:58:46 »

The public liked K cars. They were decent sized, reliable and cheap. They sold over 200,000 Aries and Reliants a year until they were discontinued and probably another 100,000 on top of that if you add in the other models. They weren't all dead by 1989 but the major ones were because they were replaced with the Dynasty and New Yorker which were derived from them. I'm no fan of K cars or any of the other 80s Chryslers other then our cars but they did the job for Chrysler that they were supposed to do and they did it well enough to keep the company going.

I don't know if it would have been a good decision to keep M bodies going longer then they did but they should have at least invested more in them and given them a chance. They were supposed to be gone by the mid 80s and they only kept going because the sales were better then expected. But instead of just dragging the same car on year after year they could have at least done some improvements to it. GM and Ford had overdrive transmissions and fuel injection and that was already in Dodge trucks. They could have added it to the cars and that probably would have bumped sales and kept them going for a couple more years. That's probably why sales dropped at the end.

Ice Cold

• Dippy Oracle
  • Frozen Wastelands, Canada
  • Mopar or No Car
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2016, 17:20:51 »

Someone sold the song and dance 'RWD is dead' and FWD is the way to go.

Would have been nice if Mopar made a 80's Monte Carlo SS with a M body, different nose.

If one is good with electronics and turbos', a 2.2 can scream.
1988 Fifth Ave
1987 Diplomat
1989 Diplomat AHB
1979 Lebaron Medallion 4dr
1979 Lebaron Coupe
1977 Aspen R/T
All drivers.
Too many cars and still looking.

doomedgame

• Dippy God
  • Ga
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2016, 07:56:24 »

The m was Chrysler g body

DobaMark

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Pittsburgh
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2016, 11:03:03 »

The M need a lot of attention to continue in production.  It was the same size as GM and Ford's midsize cars, yet got worse gas mileage than GM and Ford's full size cars. The M bodies often were subject to the gas guzzler tax.  They had the parts to fix this with the TBI injection and automatic overdrive from the Dodge trucks but saw little reason to do that.  The same thing happened to the M body that happened to the Chevy Caprice in the 1990's and the Ford Crown Victoria.  Too many of the cars sold to fleets, which provide nice profits on the older designs but don't often make it profitable enough to continue the cars.

Prospect62

• Dippy God
  • Marcy, NY
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2016, 15:18:07 »

Well I posted a really good, thoughtful response to this but it vanished thanks to the server upgrade. Oh well.
1987 Plymouth Gran Fury AHB
Disclaimer: I've probably had a few beers.

DobaMark

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Pittsburgh
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2016, 16:34:27 »

Well I posted a really good, thoughtful response to this but it vanished thanks to the server upgrade. Oh well.
Hey I saw it and read it, and agreed with it so it wasn't totally wasted.

Prospect62

• Dippy God
  • Marcy, NY
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2016, 20:04:01 »

Hey I saw it and read it, and agreed with it so it wasn't totally wasted.

Well at least somebody did, haha.
1987 Plymouth Gran Fury AHB
Disclaimer: I've probably had a few beers.

Patrick

• I'm Back!!!!
  • Inactive
  • Dippy God
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2016, 09:09:28 »

I missed it...Was it something good???  J/K

And I'm still sick and tired of being sick and tired....

270SE

• The Other F-body (the one that's fast)
  • Dippy Oracle
  • NC
  • Vinyl, woodgrain, and shag- that's an interior
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2016, 13:03:34 »

The public liked K cars. They were decent sized, reliable and cheap. They sold over 200,000 Aries and Reliants a year until they were discontinued and probably another 100,000 on top of that if you add in the other models. They weren't all dead by 1989 but the major ones were because they were replaced with the Dynasty and New Yorker which were derived from them. I'm no fan of K cars or any of the other 80s Chryslers other then our cars but they did the job for Chrysler that they were supposed to do and they did it well enough to keep the company going.

I don't know if it would have been a good decision to keep M bodies going longer then they did but they should have at least invested more in them and given them a chance. They were supposed to be gone by the mid 80s and they only kept going because the sales were better then expected. But instead of just dragging the same car on year after year they could have at least done some improvements to it. GM and Ford had overdrive transmissions and fuel injection and that was already in Dodge trucks. They could have added it to the cars and that probably would have bumped sales and kept them going for a couple more years. That's probably why sales dropped at the end.
That really wasn't good production in the scheme of things.

It wouldn't have required much besides a crossmember redesign to utilize the overdrive and the TBI though crude would've made the cars appear far more modern. '88 was the OD transmission and the TBI, they quit making the cars in '89. Ford had MPFI in '85, though I'm not sure if the autos were OD yet. That's where Chrysler needed to be, and it's possible that maintaining with the TBI and OD would've tied the cars over in public market for the '92 redesign with the Magnum where it could properly compete with Ford. Here they were losing the fleet badly to Chevy and Ford. Chrysler didn't make a car to compete with the LWB Fords and Chevies after '81.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 13:06:23 by 270SE »

MarkM

• Dippy Oracle
  • Michigan
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2016, 17:30:48 »

Someone sold the song and dance 'RWD is dead' and FWD is the way to go.

Would have been nice if Mopar made a 80's Monte Carlo SS with a M body, different nose.

If one is good with electronics and turbos', a 2.2 can scream.

Were they wrong?  I'm going to argue Chrysler was a few years ahead of its time in killing the RWD platform.  Look at what happened to the Caprice and Crown Vic nameplates in the 90's: one got the axe from garbage sales and the other became known as an old man's car that was only continued because of the fleet market (you hardly saw any civi Crown Vics in the wild).  Hell, even the Camaro went away for a few years....  Chrysler saw the shift in the market and followed it - and when the time was right, followed it right back to RWD.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 17:32:19 by MarkM »
87' Fifth Avenue - 512/518/8.75 - built for twisties

270SE

• The Other F-body (the one that's fast)
  • Dippy Oracle
  • NC
  • Vinyl, woodgrain, and shag- that's an interior
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2016, 21:00:23 »

Were they wrong?  I'm going to argue Chrysler was a few years ahead of its time in killing the RWD platform.  Look at what happened to the Caprice and Crown Vic nameplates in the 90's: one got the axe from garbage sales and the other became known as an old man's car that was only continued because of the fleet market (you hardly saw any civi Crown Vics in the wild).  Hell, even the Camaro went away for a few years....  Chrysler saw the shift in the market and followed it - and when the time was right, followed it right back to RWD.
Absolutely wrong. Sure it took over the economy market- but then the economy market shriveled. Chrysler cars had poor sales through the '90s and continues to. The trucks is about the strongest segment. Jeeps have picked some of what they lost back up, but that glint of dominance they had in the '90s and early 2000s is more a memory than a continued reality. Yes there's lots of FWD models- that sell poorly. Poorly selling cars being FWD over RWD doesn't change that cars sell poorly. The cheaper cars out there aren't worth buying new. That might be a lot of why cars sell poorly truthfully- if buying something used is a much better $10-18,000 proposition than those new cars why would they sell well?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 21:02:17 by 270SE »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 |   Go Up