Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 |   Go Down

Author Topic: Sick and tired of being sick and tired...  (Read 10096 times)

occupant

• Occupant Ilied Industries
  • Dippy Die-Hard
  • Lawton, OK
  • Occupant Ilied Industries
Sick and tired of being sick and tired...
« on: June 10, 2016, 17:32:29 »

I work for a subsidiary of Kroger and do light construction and grocery reset work around the state of Ohio.  Sometimes we travel out of town and they put me up in a hotel and give me $50 a day per diem for food and incidentals.  It's nice when that happens.  But that only occurs when a store is more than 65 miles from home.  This store in Chillicothe is 64.1 miles from my home.  That means I have a lovely drive for just over an hour at 330am every morning so I can be at this store by 5am.  And I get to spend two hours on my way home every day because by that time, Columbus traffic is starting and usually some of the worst wrecks are on the common routes I'd need to use.

So I'm tired.

I'm a smoker, so catching a small bit of a cold, or inhaling one of those dandelion fuzzies up my nose and having an allergy episode usually means two weeks or more of hacking up a lung every morning and lots of trouble getting to sleep.

So I'm sick.

The tired makes me sicker.  The sickness makes me more tired.  Vicious cycle.

So in addition to all this, my wife is working pretty much every single evening so I'm getting the kids dinner, dealing with laundry, and the 17 year old has PMS this week.  Also, trying to save money to buy wife a cheap car.

Monday I find her a car I think she will like.  1997 Ford Taurus for $400.  You all hate it.  I would hate it.  She would love it.  So I contact the seller to try and meet.  They insist on meeting at a police station and they won't hand over the keys until the title is transferred and their plates come off.  Great, so now not only am I dealing with someone dumb enough to drive a nineteen year old Taurus, but they are also devilishly paranoid.  Perfect!

My wife calls me.

Her: "Don't go buying that Taurus, I think we should wait a while and get something nicer when we have more money on Monday."
Me: "I'd rather get a pile now for cheap than spend more money and probably have more problems.  I can at least partially strip this, scrap it, and make the $400 back if needed.  Buy a $700 car it'll take longer to do that if it decides to grenade on you in the first month!"
Her: "Just wait and see, there might be something out there you'd like more and I could deal with it for awhile then go get something else and let you have it."
Me: "Fine, you have a point, I'll hold off."

And that was a great idea because CL sellers in Columbus go to eleven.  Wednesday I finally hear from the Taurus seller.

Him: "I have four other people lined up to buy the car.  If their funds don't come through or they don't show, I'll call you."
Me: *between fits of laughter* "forget about it, I don't operate on the schedules of a bunch of random Craigslist flakes, you either want to sell or you don't, this isn't a raffle or an auction" *CLICK*

I'm pondering this and think maybe I should just forget about it and go buy a car from an auction instead.  But I'm still on my phone searching CL.  Find a nice light blue '86 Celebrity coupe about an hour east of here for $800 that evening.  Contact the seller.  Hear nothing back.  Check Thursday to see if the ad was deleted (possibly indicating the car already sold) and it was still up, but the price had been reduced to $700.  I email, I send a text, I leave a voicemail.  Today (Friday), still heard nothing back.  Ad is still up.  My faith in Craigslist Humanity is ruined.

I tell my wife about the Celebrity coupe.  It's nice.  It's clean.  It has no rust and was an Alabama car until March of 2015.  I'm very excited about it.  She doesn't like the car.  No matter that she told me I should find something I might like for a little more money and then she would suffer it a bit and then get her own thing going.

Celebrity seller is still AWOL as of this evening.  Volunteers of America auction is in the morning.  My wife should've been less irritating about the rust free Celebrity two door.  Because if I get my way, I'm bringing this thing home tomorrow:

« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 17:35:39 by occupant »
Alan Moore - Get REKT Garage - Lawton, OK
15 Cruze 2LT/RS 130K daily, 08 Explorer EB V6 2WD 234K
08 Uplander LS 270K, 93 TC Signature (dead) 290K

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

DCAspen

• Dippy Junkie
  • Wallyworld Ct.
Re: Sick and tired of being sick and tired...
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 21:20:22 »

No Rust ???????

brotherGood

• Generationally Challenged
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Urbana, OH
  • Starve the Ego, Feed the Soul
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 23:03:48 »

If you're in Chillicothe again..eat at sumburger. The food isnt bad, but the atmosphere is what makes it IMO. It's a classic diner feel, but the unique part is that you call your order in from a phone at the table.
'86 Dodge Diplomat AHB. Rebuilt 318 LA/Magnum, cop 904, 8.25 rear.

Prospect62

• Dippy God
  • Marcy, NY
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 17:32:08 »

I could have swore you said rust-free. Let me go back and re-read that, hold on.

Yep, you did. You said rust-free.

1987 Plymouth Gran Fury AHB
Disclaimer: I've probably had a few beers.

DobaMark

• Administrator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Pittsburgh
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 18:03:09 »

It was a different one that was rust free.  Hope this one was a smoking deal with all that rot.

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 18:25:36 »

It was the light weight option for better mileage. It came standard but it took a while for it to come in.

80 Lebaron Coupe

• 5 M Coupes
  • Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Diplomaniac Drive, East Texas.
  • Lebaron Coupe. Muscle with a touch of Class.
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 19:42:53 »

I could have swore you said rust-free. Let me go back and re-read that, hold on.

Yep, you did. You said rust-free.
I[/size] tell my wife about the Celebrity coupe.  It's nice.  It's clean.  It has no rust and was an Alabama car until March of 2015.  I'm very excited about it.  She doesn't like the car.  No matter that she told me I should find something I might like for a little more money and then she would suffer it a bit and then get her own thing going.
[/size]The Coupe is the rust free car,
[/size]The sedan is the rust bucket.
5 1980 & 81 M Coupes
88 Dodge Diplomat AHB
80 Plymouth Volare Duster
80 & 2-83 Dodge Miradas

wolfsblood07

• Dippy Groupie
  • Arizona
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 20:56:25 »

I like all of the aforementioned cars and would proudly drive them.
If I were you I might seek out a Plymouth Breeze; the last midsized Plymouth sedan, and a cool no frills version of the Chrysler Cirrus.  They are old enough to be affordable but you won't feel like you're driving an antique.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 20:57:42 by wolfsblood07 »

MyDodgeDip

• Dippy Oracle
  • Somerville, NJ
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 21:09:53 »

Sounds like a job for a K-car.   :whist:
~Luke
1978 Chrysler Lebaron Coupe, 360-4, Sunroof
+ A Fleet of K cars...

80 Lebaron Coupe

• 5 M Coupes
  • Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Diplomaniac Drive, East Texas.
  • Lebaron Coupe. Muscle with a touch of Class.
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 08:52:28 »

Sounds like a job for a K-car.   :whist:
X2  :biggrin:
5 1980 & 81 M Coupes
88 Dodge Diplomat AHB
80 Plymouth Volare Duster
80 & 2-83 Dodge Miradas

Prospect62

• Dippy God
  • Marcy, NY
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 19:26:34 »

No job ever called for a K-car. Unless that job was "professional ridiculous looker".

Sorry...yes I'm one of those few M-body enthusiasts who hates the K-car and all it stood for and every goof who ever drove one. As far as I'm concerned, that car killed the M and Chrysler as a whole. Iacocca was a dick.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 19:27:47 by Prospect62 »
1987 Plymouth Gran Fury AHB
Disclaimer: I've probably had a few beers.

Darth-Car

• Dippy Oracle
  • Ohio
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 20:32:11 »

K cars were cool, and ahead of their time.  They saved the company so it could continue to make our M's that people could not afford to drive, as fuel prices went through the roof.  As for Iaccoca he was a genius with the K car, and the minivan.  The other US auto makers struggled to play catch up with both platforms, which broke the business as usual mold for the US automakers.
Until The Next Dimension,
The Admiral
Dayton, Ohio, USA

MarkM

• Dippy Oracle
  • Michigan
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2016, 21:18:16 »

Sounds like giving up smoking will alleviate a sizable portion of your misery in terms of health and pocketbook.   :roll:
87' Fifth Avenue - 512/518/8.75 - built for twisties

DobaMark

• Administrator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Pittsburgh
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2016, 07:02:31 »

Actually the K car kept the M body alive.  M was supposed to die after 1983, then 1985 or so then finally did die in 1989.
So how did Chrysler still manage to have the best CAFE average despite selling M bodies that often were stuck with a gas guzzler tax?  By selling all those K cars and their variants.  Otherwise, the fines would have been huge for Chrysler and the M could not have continued without Ks to offset it.

Patrick

• I'm Back!!!!
  • Inactive
  • Dippy God
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2016, 09:59:57 »

So what did you buy?????

Or did you wait until today (Monday)?

Did she have something else she wanted you to look at?

And I'm just sick and tired of being sick and tired.......
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 10:00:44 by Patrick »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 |   Go Up