Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Sick and tired of being sick and tired...  (Read 10095 times)

MarkM

• Dippy Oracle
  • Michigan
Re: Sick and tired of being sick and tired...
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2016, 23:35:34 »

Absolutely wrong. Sure it took over the economy market- but then the economy market shriveled. Chrysler cars had poor sales through the '90s and continues to. The trucks is about the strongest segment. Jeeps have picked some of what they lost back up, but that glint of dominance they had in the '90s and early 2000s is more a memory than a continued reality. Yes there's lots of FWD models- that sell poorly. Poorly selling cars being FWD over RWD doesn't change that cars sell poorly. The cheaper cars out there aren't worth buying new. That might be a lot of why cars sell poorly truthfully- if buying something used is a much better $10-18,000 proposition than those new cars why would they sell well?

Of course the economy market shriveled, it was a recession! Jeeps and trucks have nothing to do with the topic at hand.  We're discussing the sales of RWD relative to that of FWD and FWD won.  Not just at Chrysler, but at GM and Ford too.  Face it, RWD cars fell out of favor with the consumers and Chrysler was the first to realize it.  GM and Ford continued to develop the platform and still went the way of the dinosaur.
87' Fifth Avenue - 512/518/8.75 - built for twisties

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

Ice Cold

• Dippy Oracle
  • Frozen Wastelands, Canada
  • Mopar or No Car
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2016, 00:24:46 »

The Dodge Intrepid could have gone either way, as the chassis was designed for both.
1988 Fifth Ave
1987 Diplomat
1989 Diplomat AHB
1979 Lebaron Medallion 4dr
1979 Lebaron Coupe
1977 Aspen R/T
All drivers.
Too many cars and still looking.

Ice Cold

• Dippy Oracle
  • Frozen Wastelands, Canada
  • Mopar or No Car
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2016, 09:43:00 »

I sorta like this 86 Caravelle.
Like 2drs better and it looks like a F/A.
1988 Fifth Ave
1987 Diplomat
1989 Diplomat AHB
1979 Lebaron Medallion 4dr
1979 Lebaron Coupe
1977 Aspen R/T
All drivers.
Too many cars and still looking.

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2016, 12:19:12 »

Of course the economy market shriveled, it was a recession! Jeeps and trucks have nothing to do with the topic at hand.  We're discussing the sales of RWD relative to that of FWD and FWD won.  Not just at Chrysler, but at GM and Ford too.  Face it, RWD cars fell out of favor with the consumers and Chrysler was the first to realize it.  GM and Ford continued to develop the platform and still went the way of the dinosaur.

Chrysler was no worse sales wise in the 90s or since then any other make. Its all market like Mark says. It's a dream to think they would have done any better if they kept rwd cars around. At the very least they would have had to do a redesign at some point like ford and gm did and history shows how that worked out. Rwd sales took a huge hit in the 90s for what was left and it never picked up. Rwd Ford's probably wouldn't have lasted as long if gm didn't discontinue their cars after 1996 dropping what was left of sales into Ford's hands.

DobaMark

• Administrator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Pittsburgh
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2016, 06:29:58 »

The lack of new and updated RWD cars sent many people into trucks and SUVs, thi h ad the exact opposite effect as was desired.  instead of getting people out of larger cars into smaller FWD ones, many people chose a truck or SUV instead.  The fact is there ware markets where RWD is the best choice and other markets where FWD is the best choice.

Patrick

• I'm Back!!!!
  • Inactive
  • Dippy God
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2016, 10:12:56 »

Also take into consideration that the governments (state (as in California) and Federal) mandated higher overall average mileage. Automaker would have to sell a couple of tiny cars to outweigh the low fuel mileage of the trucks and SUVs.

Personally, I don't mind FWD as long as I can sit comfortably in the vehicle for extended periods as my wife and I are high mileage users. Her 10 year old car is just shy of 200,000 moles and my 7 year old truck will roll over 100,000 in the next couple of weeks.

fifthcrunch

• Dippy God
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2016, 14:32:20 »

Also take into consideration that the governments (state (as in California) and Federal) mandated higher overall average mileage. Automaker would have to sell a couple of tiny cars to outweigh the low fuel mileage of the trucks and SUVs.

Personally, I don't mind FWD as long as I can sit comfortably in the vehicle for extended periods as my wife and I are high mileage users. Her 10 year old car is just shy of 200,000 moles and my 7 year old truck will roll over 100,000 in the next couple of weeks.
Ok, she has offed 200,000 moles, but how many miles did this take?

Patrick

• I'm Back!!!!
  • Inactive
  • Dippy God
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2016, 16:49:16 »

No moles...just miles.....LOL

Gotta check my speeling...LOL

fifthcrunch

• Dippy God
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2016, 05:20:13 »

Sorry, I just  had to do that.  Like the guy said, I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Patrick

• I'm Back!!!!
  • Inactive
  • Dippy God
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2016, 08:41:22 »

No biggie....

270SE

• The Other F-body (the one that's fast)
  • Dippy Oracle
  • NC
  • Vinyl, woodgrain, and shag- that's an interior
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2016, 13:39:49 »

The lack of new and updated RWD cars sent many people into trucks and SUVs, thi h ad the exact opposite effect as was desired.  instead of getting people out of larger cars into smaller FWD ones, many people chose a truck or SUV instead.  The fact is there ware markets where RWD is the best choice and other markets where FWD is the best choice.
This man understands my entire point. Many people were buying on price points, and now for a RWD in those price points they're often buying pickups. It's been a growing trend in the last wow, is it 30 years now?

Which is just stupid. Mandating economy above where vehicles are at will not inspire improvement, simply make them less affordable to common folks. Which let's all be surprised has happened. Your money don't go nearly as far in a new car as it used to. And I'm not just saying like 2016 compared to 1970, I mean like 7-12 years ago.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 13:41:47 by 270SE »

wolfsblood07

• Dippy Groupie
  • Arizona
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2016, 22:00:35 »

The Dodge Intrepid could have gone either way, as the chassis was designed for both.
Yes, I recall that the engine in the Dodge Intrepid/Eagle Vision/Chrysler Concorde was mounted longitudinally, like rear wheel drive cars.  By the way, I read that there had been talk of Plymouth getting a car on this platform, to be called the Accolade.  The fact that Plymouth did not get that car didn't bode well for the brand's future.  But Plymouth managed to outlast Eagle anyway.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 22:05:07 by wolfsblood07 »

MoparDan

• M addict since '06
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Daytona Beach, FL
  • Rock On!
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2016, 17:06:17 »

I never knew that the Intrepid could've been RWD, it would've made it a lot cooler, never knew about an almost Plymouth version doesn't surprise me though seeing how they never got a version of the K-car convertible, or a version of the Dodge Daytona or Lancer (almost had one of those when I was 15...)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 17:08:51 by MoparDan »
The driver of a 1985 Plymouth Gran Fury Salon called The Cherry Bomb
"Paint it red"-Sammy Hagar
"Its like a carburetor instigator"-Quiet Riot
"I need a shot of gasoline"-Cinderella

DobaMark

• Administrator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Pittsburgh
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2016, 05:35:11 »

LH was designed to be FWD, RWD or AWD but we only got FWD except for the Prowler which was RWD using the LH power train.

occupant

• Occupant Ilied Industries
  • Dippy Die-Hard
  • Lawton, OK
  • Occupant Ilied Industries
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2017, 07:19:17 »

So what did you buy?????

Or did you wait until today (Monday)?

Did she have something else she wanted you to look at?

And I'm just sick and tired of being sick and tired.......

We waited five months and got her a 2010 Malibu 2LT on a four year note with a thousand down.  Ouch.  We've had it almost a year now and she's put 35,000 miles on it so I'd say she likes it a bit.  It's had a few minor problems.  The headlights positively suck.  But to replace them you have to remove the front bumper.  Ridiculous!  There was a idling issue that she fixed for an EVAP purge solenoid ($34).  She diagnosed that and replaced it herself.  It's got a minor coolant leak at the thermostat housing.  We are watching part prices on RockAuto and Amazon and will buy when we have the chance and I'll install it myself.  No intake removal required.  And then the tires.  They are Goodyear Eagle LS2's and they are a little loud and a little sticky but one of them now has four plugs in it.  If it gets another screw or nail it'll have to be replaced.  There is also a slilghtly bent wheel and it's only noticeable on the front so we had the plugged tire put on it and it stays on the back and switches sides only during rotations.

I went and got a new Corolla.  Sad state of affairs when I don't have a vehicle that I like.  Even the Suburban is sitting up with a bad transmission and it hasn't been driven except around the parking lot since we got the Malibu.
Alan Moore - Get REKT Garage - Lawton, OK
15 Cruze 2LT/RS 130K daily, 08 Explorer EB V6 2WD 234K
08 Uplander LS 270K, 93 TC Signature (dead) 290K
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] |   Go Up