Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 |   Go Down

Author Topic: My dash project today  (Read 5651 times)

Prospect62

• Dippy God
  • Marcy, NY
Re: My dash project today
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2017, 20:46:17 »

How are you making out with this? I hope progress is being made!
1987 Plymouth Gran Fury AHB
Disclaimer: I've probably had a few beers.

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

T229

• Dippy Junkie
  • Florida
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2017, 06:18:55 »

Ok, new motor is in along with a PLETHORA of new parts:

New crate motor, new 100 amp alternator, 360 Ram 3 core radiator, MSD Ignition, wires, plugs, distributor, speed cable, Edelbrock Performer manifold, Edelbrock carb, air cleaner, new dash (pulled from a wrecked 5th Ave).

Half of the dash lights were blown so I swapped some blue LEDs in there instead. The speedo cable was kind of a pain so hopefully it works. It was unreal how heavy the stock intake manifold really was. Hopefully, I saved about 40lbs.

It runs, drives ok. Needs minor tuning and an exhaust system. When I bought the car, it didn't have any cats on it, just two mufflers that are worn out and full of holes. All the lean burn crap is gone and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna grab a couple high flow cats to throw on there. I bought a set of Walker Sound Solutions mufflers to keep it quiet but the whole exhaust needs rebuilt, which isn't a big deal.

I bought a set of headers but apparently didn't read enough because the no name brand didn't fit. I don't want to spend a fortune as I'm on a budget like most people so, I'm gonna go with a set of Magnum manifolds if someone would be so kind as to tell me the part numbers that will work for my 86. The search function doesn't agree with me here.

A friend of mine has had it at his shop and we've been working on it at our leisure one day a week or so. Im getting antsy to get it back but it's headed to paint next. Im either gonna paint it the factory blue or a nice silver. Havent decided yet.

I have the stock oil pressure gauge if anyone wants it. I also have a couple spare new orange boxes that need to go as well. I'll post photos shortly.

I have pictures but the site wont let me upload them.
Nick- 2016 Dodge Challenger R/T 392 6.4 Hemi
2011 Chevy Silverado 4.8L
1995 Chevy Impala SS 5.7 LT-1
1989 Plymouth Gran Fury AHB

MarkM

• Dippy Oracle
  • Michigan
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2017, 08:05:51 »

Sounds like you're making really good progress - can't wait for the photos.

I don't think Magnum exhaust manifolds will fit, or at least one side won't, but I can't remember which.  If your motor is only making 300HP then I would stay with the manifolds that came off of the old 318.  You won't notice loss in power at that level.  Long tube headers are a pain in the neck.  I'll never mess with those again.
87' Fifth Avenue - 512/518/8.75 - built for twisties

T229

• Dippy Junkie
  • Florida
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2017, 14:53:10 »

Ok, so leave the exhaust manifolds alone. Got it. I thought for sure even a set of shortys would benefit it.

What are you guys' thoughts on cats? How many did these have on them from the factory? Thing is, I don't want it loud. I don't mind a little burble but I think catless exhaust sounds obnoxious, outside of 60's and early 70's muscle.

Also, I've had nothing but issues with this site since joining. Im not sure if its on my end or not. I'am unable to upload images via the attachment link below.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 14:55:49 by T229 »

MarkM

• Dippy Oracle
  • Michigan
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2017, 14:01:20 »

Ok, so leave the exhaust manifolds alone. Got it. I thought for sure even a set of shortys would benefit it.

What are you guys' thoughts on cats? How many did these have on them from the factory? Thing is, I don't want it loud. I don't mind a little burble but I think catless exhaust sounds obnoxious, outside of 60's and early 70's muscle.

Also, I've had nothing but issues with this site since joining. Im not sure if its on my end or not. I'am unable to upload images via the attachment link below.

There is a gain to be had, but on a 300HP 360 crate motor the difference between manifolds and long tube headers was 20 ft/lbs of torque.  Hardly a deal breaker.  If you're not producing even that much then don't give it a second thought.  Besides, if you want quiet then manifolds it is.

Cats will certainly quiet it down, but if you don't have smog in your area then you can get quiet a lot cheaper than putting cats on the car.  Are you running dual exhaust or single?  If dual, then you need to move the gas tank over a strap and run the pipes out to the bumper.  If dual I would say 2.25" or if single then 2.5".

T229

• Dippy Junkie
  • Florida
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2017, 15:56:16 »

So basically, my dash project turned into:

New dash, new dash pad, new speedo cable and new light bulbs that were burned out.

The new crate 318 is in. OEM factory roller cam motor, bought new for $1200, and it comes with a 2 year, unlimited mileage warranty.

Lots of parts needed to be replaced. The alternator, waterpump, ignition, you name it. New plugs, wires, cap, rotor, MSD, motor mounts, 360 Ram 3 core radiator, belts, hoses, oil pan, and lots of miscellaneous crap.

Edelbrock 4bbl is on there. Its running rich, but none the less, runs quite strong for what it is. Edelbrock intake manifold dropped right on and saved what, 40lbs off the stock manifold?

I had to put a new exhaust system on it. It already had duals but no cats and 2 worn out mufflers. I put on 2 high flow cats and 2 OEM style mufflers from Advance Auto. It's quiet, just how I wanted it.

New paint went on. $900 later, minor body work was done and I think it looks nice. I need a headliner badly, but before that, I'm getting the A/C fixed. It's a sweatbox here during the day lately.

I will probably be selling the car at some point this year, if the right offer comes along. I have receipts for everything, but in the mean time, I'm gonna enjoy it.

T229

• Dippy Junkie
  • Florida
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2017, 15:57:23 »

Here's a few more.

MarkM

• Dippy Oracle
  • Michigan
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2017, 21:49:37 »

That is sharp looking.  Great work.

T229

• Dippy Junkie
  • Florida
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2017, 07:49:15 »

Continuing my dash project -

Pulled the correct colored dash from an 87 Fifth in a junkyard and it was immaculate.

Also went on was the Taurus fan.

T229

• Dippy Junkie
  • Florida
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2017, 07:56:55 »

New carpet went in to cover the disgusting and worn out rubber mats. Pulled plastic pillar pieces from the 87 Fifth and replaced all mine. My interior was ROUGH. Also pulled the headliner and installed it in mine.

I replaced my clutch fan with a Hayden unit. That thing drove me nuts. It was engaged at 95% of the time. After 15 miles at 70mph, it would finally kick off, until I came to a stop sign and it reengaged again for another 15 minutes. It drove me crazy.

So, I went with a 3.8 Taurus fan.

At idle, it's working great. I was out and about and the lights started dimming. I limped it home, about 10 highway miles. The voltage regulator came unplugged. Yesterday, the fan rpm is going up and down at idle, like it's not getting near the juice it needs. I give it 500 rpm and it screams. My voltmeter is rock steady at a tick past center. I'm running a brand new (remanned) 114amp from Rock Auto. I replaced the voltage regulator yesterday and seems I'm still having a voltage issue. It doesn't seem it's getting the proper juice at idle. My battery is old. I may replace it and check my grounds for my alternator.

Darth-Car

• Dippy Oracle
  • Ohio
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2017, 18:09:29 »

Your interior is looking sharp with those new parts!

Are you running a stock alternator setup, or have you converted to the single wire setup?
Until The Next Dimension,
The Admiral
Dayton, Ohio, USA

80 Lebaron Coupe

• 5 M Coupes
  • Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Diplomaniac Drive, East Texas.
  • Lebaron Coupe. Muscle with a touch of Class.
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2017, 18:39:20 »

Nice Work!  :thumb:
5 1980 & 81 M Coupes
88 Dodge Diplomat AHB
80 Plymouth Volare Duster
80 & 2-83 Dodge Miradas

T229

• Dippy Junkie
  • Florida
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2017, 18:43:14 »

Your interior is looking sharp with those new parts!

Are you running a stock alternator setup, or have you converted to the single wire setup?

Stock set up, just a new 114 amp.

Darth-Car

• Dippy Oracle
  • Ohio
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2017, 18:47:52 »

With the extra electric accessories you might need to bump up the low idle speed a bit.
Until The Next Dimension,
The Admiral
Dayton, Ohio, USA

MarkM

• Dippy Oracle
  • Michigan
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2017, 08:03:58 »

I don't know what the low speed idle charging performance looks like on that alternator.  You would think it would be OK.  Something to check is the wiring between the alternator and the regulator.  I'd had the plug on the regulator disintegrate before and cause troubles.  Make sure the regulator has a clean ground connection too.

Car looks great!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 |   Go Up