Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] |   Go Down

Author Topic: WTB: 7-blade fan  (Read 480 times)

Prospect62

• Dippy God
  • Marcy, NY
Re: WTB: 7-blade fan
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 15:57:21 »

I'm talking OEM stuff from good ole days. 60's and early 70's USA built muscle car stuff. Not late 80's stuff. I'm glad yours is working out well for you though because I've ended up with zero luck with aftermarket stuff in the past five years or so.

Ah, yeah I hear you. The OEM fan and clutch I took out literally shocked me with how flimsy they were, even more so that they were coming out of a police package vehicle.
1987 Plymouth Gran Fury AHB
Disclaimer: I've probably had a few beers.

T229

• Dippy Groupie
  • Florida
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2018, 14:12:05 »

I did some research online and found that pretty much every fan clutch on the market, minus two or so, are made by Hayden, regardless of their color or box they come in, or the store that sold it. Our AHB's call for an HD clutch and that's exactly what I bought when my stock clutch locked up. What I didn't realize, or want, was the fact that it was engaged 90% of the time and it drove me crazy. The only time it kicked off was after about 20 minutes of driving at highway speeds, or a WOT run from zero, and it the upper band of 2nd gear, it finally kicked off, but came right back on the second I slowed to a stop. I simply didn't see a reason this thing was engaged all the time. I'm not running a plow. I'm not towing up hills all day. I didn't get it.

Now, I'm in Florida, running a 3 core radiator upgrade and the only time I saw any fluctuation in the temp gauge was with an electric fan that I took off after a week.

I bought the ACDelco standard duty clutch and I love it so far. This is as hot as this car will get, day, night, idling or at highway speeds. Keep in mind, I'm running a brand new motor.

Also, I grew up in a suburb of Syracuse. I know exactly where you're from.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 14:15:25 by T229 »
Nick - 1986 Plymouth Gran Fury AHB
2016 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack 392 Hemi
2011 Chevrolet Silverado
2002 Mercedes SLK230

Prospect62

• Dippy God
  • Marcy, NY
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2018, 14:44:05 »

I did some research online and found that pretty much every fan clutch on the market, minus two or so, are made by Hayden, regardless of their color or box they come in, or the store that sold it. Our AHB's call for an HD clutch and that's exactly what I bought when my stock clutch locked up. What I didn't realize, or want, was the fact that it was engaged 90% of the time and it drove me crazy. The only time it kicked off was after about 20 minutes of driving at highway speeds, or a WOT run from zero, and it the upper band of 2nd gear, it finally kicked off, but came right back on the second I slowed to a stop. I simply didn't see a reason this thing was engaged all the time. I'm not running a plow. I'm not towing up hills all day. I didn't get it.

Now, I'm in Florida, running a 3 core radiator upgrade and the only time I saw any fluctuation in the temp gauge was with an electric fan that I took off after a week.

I bought the ACDelco standard duty clutch and I love it so far. This is as hot as this car will get, day, night, idling or at highway speeds. Keep in mind, I'm running a brand new motor.

Also, I grew up in a suburb of Syracuse. I know exactly where you're from.

The Hayden 2797 is the HD one that's pretty much locked up all the time. The Hayden 2747 is the standard duty one that was closer in size to the stock unit and probably would have been adequate. I knew the 2797 was HD and made for people who wanted full fan cooling most of the time. I bought it knowing exactly what it would do and it does exactly what I want it to. I'm happy with it. To each his own.

All I can tell you is that in July, even here in CNY, it gets hot and a car idling in gear in a parade for an hour with a heavy draw on the alternator and the AC on gets HOT. This clutch and fan combination keeps my car cool, the needle doesn't budge. That's all I wanted.

And you're a smart man for getting out of this place!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 14:45:51 by Prospect62 »

lsm360

• Dippy Oracle
  • Melbourne, FL
  • Facts can be stubborn things
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2018, 14:50:23 »

Ah, yeah I hear you. The OEM fan and clutch I took out literally shocked me with how flimsy they were, even more so that they were coming out of a police package vehicle.
I wouldn't be surprised if someone took the factory one out a long time before you got the car. A lot of HD things go missing over the years.
'89 Diplomat S code AHB now with FI 410 C.I.D. smallblock
1979 Power Wagon 150 Short bed Factory 360-4

Prospect62

• Dippy God
  • Marcy, NY
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2018, 15:15:57 »

I wouldn't be surprised if someone took the factory one out a long time before you got the car. A lot of HD things go missing over the years.

Guess I couldn't rule that out!
Pages: 1 [2] |   Go Up