Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: 1987 Gran Fury, what are these VIN stickers?  (Read 194 times)

TylerW

• Dippy Regular
1987 Gran Fury, what are these VIN stickers?
« on: October 12, 2017, 19:17:04 »

Hey guys, it's been a while.

When I was here last, I was driving an '86 Fifth. That car is long gone, although I've maintained a fleet of other Mopars in the interim. Recently, my blandmobile daily driver got sideswiped and totaled, so that was the impetus to see if I could find a plain white wrapper, non-fifth M-body in decent shape.

I did. For $1400 I picked up a 1987 Gran Fury Salon. 98K, full vinyl seat covers over the original velour, manual windows and locks, cruise, automatic climate control, base AM-FM stereo, no vinyl top, base wheelcovers. Looks like a detective's car but is not an AHB. Sold new at Audubon Chrysler Center right there in Henderson, KY.

Originally I thought this was a car bought by an older person, but I may revise my opinion to some type of fleet car based on whatever answers I get to this:

On the underside of both the trunk lid and hood, there are very nice labels with the VIN printed on them. There is some type of printing around the edges that is not really legible or isn't actual words. I can't find any reference to these, so, do any of your cars have this?

If you would like to see the videos I make of repairing this car you can check out my Youtube page, Tyler's Neighborhood Garage. Thanks guys.

lsm360

• Dippy Oracle
  • Melbourne, FL
  • Facts can be stubborn things
Re: 1987 Gran Fury, what are these VIN stickers?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 13:40:29 »

I don't recall any writing around the edges on mine but I'll look next chance I get. Are you sure it's not just hash marks or something like that?
'89 Diplomat S code AHB now with FI 410 C.I.D. smallblock
1979 Power Wagon 150 Short bed Factory 360-4

DobaMark

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Pittsburgh
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 13:45:00 »

The VIN stickers were added to body panels, probably to reduce the use of stolen parts to repair accident damage.
I don't know if it was a federal law or not. Both fleet and civilian cars got them.
I suspect the stuff you see on the edges is probably the design of the decal. They were designed to be tamper resistant.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 13:45:34 by DobaMark »

80 Lebaron Coupe

• 5 M Coupes
  • Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Diplomaniac Drive, East Texas.
  • Lebaron Coupe. Muscle with a touch of Class.
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 18:33:02 »

Tyler,
I watch your videos regularly,
I first found your videos by watching the Mopar Quadrajet rebuilds.
Very Informative and helpful.

I wish you were closer,
I would give you a perfect, white drivers side rear door.
5 1980 & 81 M Coupes
88 Dodge Diplomat AHB
80 Plymouth Volare Duster
80 & 83 Dodge Miradas
Pages: [1] |   Go Up