Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Speedo gear - Need help from the experts  (Read 164 times)

T229

• Dippy Groupie
  • Florida
Speedo gear - Need help from the experts
« on: November 08, 2017, 08:25:38 »

Where the hell can I find this part? Fleabay has a ton but look nothing like this. It's a 29 tooth.
Rock Auto isn't any help.
Nick - 1986 Plymouth Gran Fury AHB
2016 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack 392 Hemi
2011 Chevrolet Silverado
2002 Mercedes SLK230

BudW

• Dippy Junkie
  • Oklahoma City
Re: Speedo gear - Need help from the experts
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 15:04:40 »

I have a question: what is wrong with your gear?

I have a 29 tooth all plastic speedometer gear – but I might be needing it soon due to a gear ratio change (so not wanting to sell this one).

You have a couple of options.
- Try to find an all plastic gear – which are not that plentiful.

- Retrofit your car to the older and more plentiful style.  The old style gear is being made repop – so they are out there.
What you will need is an old style gear (metal/plastic), another speedometer gear housing (metal) and a replacement speedometer cable.

A link for an old style used gear https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-SPEEDOMETER-PINION-GEAR-29-TOOTH-LONG-SHAFT/263298074213?hash=item3d4dc9c665:g:Hb8AAOSwLF1X3Wkb&vxp=mtr
There may be a lot of other places to get one, as well.

Here is a link for a used housing https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-SPEEDOMETER-GEAR-HOUSING-727-904-833-NP435-DODGE-PLYMOUTH-CHRYSLER/332436757645?hash=item4d66c65c8d:g:crYAAOSwfVhZ~Oh9&vxp=mtr
The clamp and bolt will be the same.  Other sources could be used, as well.
A seal kit for the same (highly recommended) https://www.ebay.com/itm/O-RING-SEAL-MOPAR-SPEEDOMETER-PINION-GEAR-HOUSING-DODGE-JEEP-4wd-727-833/162522451754?hash=item25d717cf2a:g:sYsAAOSwK6RZH7E7&vxp=mtr

Your existing speedometer cable has an end like (see below)
The old style speedometer gear cable will have a large hex end (or newer made ones will have a round nut – no hex end).   

I highly prefer the older style setup because A: you can remove a transmission without having to remove the speedometer housing/gear, and B: parts are so much more readily available.

Sometimes it takes an act of congress to get the plastic speedometer housing removed.
At least with the metal housing, you can use channellock pliers (with cable screwed on) to at least get something to pull with.
BudW

BudW

• Dippy Junkie
  • Oklahoma City
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 15:08:23 »

The top picture, the long end goes into the all plastic (newer style) gear.  The hex nut is to cruise control servo.

Bottom picture is a used cable setup I found on eBay.  New cables can be found at most local part stores, still.  Tis one shows the large hex nut for speedometer housing (and smaller hex nut for cruise servo.

Non cruise cables are a bit easier to find.

80 Lebaron Coupe

• 5 M Coupes
  • Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Diplomaniac Drive, East Texas.
  • Lebaron Coupe. Muscle with a touch of Class.
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 16:08:27 »

That's what I did when I put a 727 in my 80 Coupe, which has the screw on cable type.
I used the speedometer cable from a Dodge Truck and it all works just fine.
5 1980 & 81 M Coupes
88 Dodge Diplomat AHB
80 Plymouth Volare Duster
80 & 83 Dodge Miradas

BudW

• Dippy Junkie
  • Oklahoma City
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 19:11:37 »

I did forgot to mention:
If upgrading to (I do consider it to be an upgrade) to older speedometer gear system, the cable you will need is:
With cruise, lower cable, Pioneer CA-3002
Without cruise, Pioneer CA-3014
Both are available at most part stores.
BudW

T229

• Dippy Groupie
  • Florida
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 09:26:37 »

Bud, thank you for the links. I didn't plan on upgrading anything under there. I simply wanted a functioning speedo. Im on my second cable because the replacement cable I put in was being chewed up. Im just looking for this plastic gear or a metal one that will work in place.

Do you know if this part is similar to any other Chrysler product, like a Ram or something?
Nick - 1986 Plymouth Gran Fury AHB
2016 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack 392 Hemi
2011 Chevrolet Silverado
2002 Mercedes SLK230

DobaMark

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Pittsburgh
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 10:02:22 »

Trucks of the same vintage as the M bodies look like the use the metal shaft part like the older cars.
However, it wasn't long after these cars were discontinued that the trucks switched to an electronic speed sensor and the gear was no longer used to compensate for axle ratio/tire sizes most likely.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 10:02:48 by DobaMark »

lsm360

• Dippy Oracle
  • Melbourne, FL
  • Facts can be stubborn things
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 12:24:36 »

T229: Occasionally, the one you are looking for will pop up on ebay. There are a few 20 tooth ones that style right now. So if you're willing to wait it out you may find the one you need there. You can also check the dealership. The last time I did there was still one at a dealership somewhere in the country that would ship it. That was a couple of years ago though, so I don't know about now.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 12:27:41 by lsm360 »
'89 Diplomat S code AHB now with FI 410 C.I.D. smallblock
1979 Power Wagon 150 Short bed Factory 360-4

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 20:26:40 »

Something else uses the plastic gears like ours. But because they weren't used as long as the older style or with as many gearing options it doesn't help much finding them. At one point the dealer had them for OK prices.
Pages: [1] |   Go Up