Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: New diff for the Gran Fury  (Read 192 times)

HunterB

• Dippy Groupie
  • Greenleaf WI
New diff for the Gran Fury
« on: December 03, 2017, 13:58:08 »

Well last night I finally found a new rear end to replace my 7 1/4. It’s a B body 8 3/4, seller wasn’t sure but he thinks it came from a 66 coronet. Unfortunately it’s not sure grip, tag says the gear ratio is 2.94 and it spins easily by hand it’s also set up for 11 inch drums so that’s nice. And best of all it measures 44 inches from spring perch to spring perch so it’s only 1/2 an inch narrower than the stock M body rear end.

I’m pretty excited that I found it and I got it for a good price judging by what I’ve seen online. Only thing that’s kind of weird is on one side all of the nuts that hold the backing plate on have been loosened so I guess someone was going to take the axle shafts out and never did? Here’s a couple of pics

80 Lebaron Coupe

• 5 M Coupes
  • Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Diplomaniac Drive, East Texas.
  • Lebaron Coupe. Muscle with a touch of Class.
Re: New diff for the Gran Fury
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 18:29:04 »

:thumb: Nice Score!
5 1980 & 81 M Coupes
88 Dodge Diplomat AHB
80 Plymouth Volare Duster
80 & 83 Dodge Miradas

MarkM

• Dippy Oracle
  • Michigan
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 19:24:53 »

Same axle I have in my car.  You can drill the locating holes out in the perches to 1 9/16" and it'll drop right onto your existing springs.  It'll bow the springs inboard about 1/4" though.  I ran it like this for a few years, but eventually paid a local guy to weld the correct perches on at the correct spacing and angle.
87' Fifth Avenue - 512/518/8.75 - built for twisties

lsm360

• Dippy Oracle
  • Melbourne, FL
  • Facts can be stubborn things
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 12:00:42 »

I don't remember, do you have a high HP motor or plans for one? Nice score.
'89 Diplomat S code AHB now with FI 410 C.I.D. smallblock
1979 Power Wagon 150 Short bed Factory 360-4

HunterB

• Dippy Groupie
  • Greenleaf WI
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 12:51:09 »

I still have the stock 318. I’m not sure what I’m going to do for a motor yet, all I know for sure is I’m going to stay small block. I can’t make up my mind weather I should stick with an LA motor of go for 5.2 or 5.9 magnum. Good part is this diff should stand up to anything I throw at it.

Also does anyone know how the adjuster on passenger side that sets the end play works? I’d like to know before I start taking it apart.

80 Lebaron Coupe

• 5 M Coupes
  • Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Diplomaniac Drive, East Texas.
  • Lebaron Coupe. Muscle with a touch of Class.
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 08:37:57 »

Also does anyone know how the adjuster on passenger side that sets the end play works? I’d like to know before I start taking it apart.

Doctor Differential sells a kit that eliminates that adjuster.
5 1980 & 81 M Coupes
88 Dodge Diplomat AHB
80 Plymouth Volare Duster
80 & 83 Dodge Miradas

MarkM

• Dippy Oracle
  • Michigan
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 09:04:53 »

I still have the stock 318. I’m not sure what I’m going to do for a motor yet, all I know for sure is I’m going to stay small block. I can’t make up my mind weather I should stick with an LA motor of go for 5.2 or 5.9 magnum. Good part is this diff should stand up to anything I throw at it.

The adjuster is used to set axle end play.  Going from memory I believe it's supposed to be .010" to .020".  Clockwise to tighten, counter to loosen.  I measured it using a depth gauge and a magnetic base from my cam timing kit.

If you plan on replacing the motor then don't even bother with LA and find a Magnum 5.9.  It'll cost you the same coin and you'll be far better for it.  Easy 400 HP with bolt-ons and a cam change.

HunterB

• Dippy Groupie
  • Greenleaf WI
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 15:39:44 »

Do I need a slide hammer to get the axles out? I’ve taken all the nuts off, and they still won’t come out.

MarkM

• Dippy Oracle
  • Michigan
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 18:35:22 »

Do I need a slide hammer to get the axles out? I’ve taken all the nuts off, and they still won’t come out.

Yes, or you could flip the drum backwards and put the lugs on a couple of turns and use the drum as the slide hammer.  If that doesn't work then rent the proper tool.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 18:36:21 by MarkM »

HunterB

• Dippy Groupie
  • Greenleaf WI
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 19:19:02 »

I’ll rent a slide hammer tomorrow, this diff didn’t come with any brake hardware except the backing plates.

I pulled the fill bolt and had a look inside. It doesn’t have much oil in it but what is there looks pretty clean, but I saw looking through the fill hole that 4 or 5 teeth on the pinion gear have rust on them. But it’s not terrible and it looks like it would come off with a brass wire brush. Is this anything to worry about? The rest of the teeth look perfect no chips, cracks, or anything else out of the ordinary.

HunterB

• Dippy Groupie
  • Greenleaf WI
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 19:44:26 »

Almost forgot here’s some pics sorry for the poor quality.

HunterB

• Dippy Groupie
  • Greenleaf WI
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 22:44:32 »

Well I finally got around to taking the center chunk out, and it’s full of rust. The carrier is covered in it and so are parts of the ring gear, some of the teeth are pitted pretty bad so it looks like I need a new set of gears.
Pages: [1] |   Go Up