Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Starting issues  (Read 101 times)

MoparDan

• M addict since '06
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Daytona Beach, FL
  • Rock On!
Starting issues
« on: December 10, 2017, 14:04:35 »

A few days ago, was pulling into a store, the engine stalled (it always does at lights and stop signs, the choke is pretty much gone) and wouldn't start at all like the starter was dead, so pushed it into a parking space and I popped the hood to see if I could see anything, nothing looked wrong. So I turned the key and the engine started up fine, however I noticed a weird sound from the shifter when putting it in gear, it was night and too dark to see anything, so the next day I found the problem pretty quickly: a grommet on the linkage had broken off, since the garage was going to change the differential fuild the next day anyway I had them replace the grommet. That was two days ago, yesterday had to give somebody a ride and got some gas money so I gassed up and once again the engine wouldn't start turned the key a few times and started either the third or forth time. So is this starter defective or is it somthing else?
The driver of a 1985 Plymouth Gran Fury Salon called The Cherry Bomb
"Paint it red"-Sammy Hagar
"Its like a carburetor instigator"-Quiet Riot
"I need a shot of gasoline"-Cinderella

HunterB

• Dippy Groupie
  • Greenleaf WI
Re: Starting issues
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 20:42:04 »

Mine does the same thing. I’ve not been able to find the problem though.

DobaMark

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Pittsburgh
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 06:18:10 »

Defective starter, improperly adjusted ignition switch (does it change if you move the tilt wheel), bad neutral safety switch (does it change if it's in neutral instead of park).

By the way, the choke isn't the cause of the stalling unless it's happening right after the car starts or it is sticking closed.

MoparDan

• M addict since '06
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Daytona Beach, FL
  • Rock On!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 18:05:43 »

The starter is was replaced on October 13th after the hurricane, the last time it wouldn't start the tilt wheel had just been moved, but the first time it hadn't been, also this last time was in park, but the first time tried to start in neutral but wouldn't, and ended up starting in park. If any of that helps.
The carb almost always gets stuck at high idle when started for the first time (and usually tries to stall when first put in gear)
The driver of a 1985 Plymouth Gran Fury Salon called The Cherry Bomb
"Paint it red"-Sammy Hagar
"Its like a carburetor instigator"-Quiet Riot
"I need a shot of gasoline"-Cinderella
Pages: [1] |   Go Up