Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21 |   Go Down

Author Topic: 390 small block with video  (Read 26856 times)

270SE

• The Other F-body (the one that's fast)
  • Dippy Oracle
  • NC
  • Vinyl, woodgrain, and shag- that's an interior
Re: 390 small block
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 19:35:14 »

Want to give more details? That's probably too small. The stock 340 grind might be better.

Gears, trans, usage, etc. I think the 268 split duration would be a good mild cam.

lsm360

• Dippy Oracle
  • Melbourne, FL
  • Facts can be stubborn things
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2009, 20:26:52 »

I thought flat tappets were a bad idea these days because of the lack of protection in today's motor oils?
'89 Diplomat S code AHB now with FI 410 C.I.D. smallblock
1979 Power Wagon 150 Short bed Factory 360-4

270SE

• Dippy Oracle
  • NC
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2009, 20:36:14 »

They aren't a bad idea they just need ZDDP to lubricate them is all.

Reggie

• Gran Fifthlomat Meister
  • Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2009, 21:03:51 »

Thinking of going with this cam http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-20-614-9/

Ditto on that cam being too small.  Stroker like lots of duration, so you can bump up the duration at .050" if you want more power and still have a streeteble engine.  You should stay under 240* though.  This one might be better, but you should call Comp and tell them what you're trying to do and they can recommend a cam for you.  The more information you have for them, the better like body type, engine size, rear gear ratio, transmission, heads, carburetor, exhaust.  Also let them recommend your converter.   I would also stay with the roller setup.  You can even re-use your factory roller lifters.  - RR
"There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way." - Christopher Morley 1890-1957, American author and editor

Library format and content © 2007- 2012 Reginald A. Royster, Sr., unless otherwise authored or noted.

doomedgame

• Dippy God
  • Ga
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2009, 21:12:47 »

I have there cam quest that is to big for my setup. 2.40:1 gears stock converter it will be a daily driver and the cam i put the link to is a roller

Reggie

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2009, 21:31:20 »

I have there cam quest that is to big for my setup. 2.40:1 gears stock converter it will be a daily driver and the cam i put the link to is a roller

Oh, I was looking at the text at the top of the page where it says "Camshaft, Hydraulic Flat Tappet".  It does say that it's a roller further down.  It won't be much fun with those gears. 2.94s would be better.  Why do you need a stroker for a daily driver?   - RR
"There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way." - Christopher Morley 1890-1957, American author and editor

Library format and content © 2007- 2012 Reginald A. Royster, Sr., unless otherwise authored or noted.

270SE

• Dippy Oracle
  • NC
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2009, 21:50:03 »

I have those gears. They're fine. He's looking at a stroker because it died so he's getting more power. We all know why you need a daily driver would need a stroker.

Charger440RT

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2009, 23:15:04 »

I'm planning on a 390 stroker for a semi-daily driver. This is the cam I plan on using : http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-CL20-224-4/

I'm not afraid of flat tappets, I just throw a bottle of break in lube with it every oil change, Oreily's here had it cheap.

I also will use basically the stock convertor and 2.94 gears as well. It may not be too fun down low, if that's the case, I'll swap the lifters for some Rhoads and that should take care of it.

270SE

• Dippy Oracle
  • NC
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2009, 23:30:53 »

Should be great. The extra stroke should make it act like a stock 340 cam I'd bet.

doomedgame

• Dippy God
  • Ga
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2009, 23:31:11 »

I have those gears. They're fine. He's looking at a stroker because it died so he's getting more power. We all know why you need a daily driver would need a stroker.
i have been buying parts to do this for the last year way before it died

just sort a cam the springs to match, bore the block and prep, balance rotating assembly

doomedgame

• Dippy God
  • Ga
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2009, 23:34:27 »

270SE

• Dippy Oracle
  • NC
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2009, 23:37:16 »

That will be a puppy dog. But also has high lift so it is kind of a wash.  :whist:

Charger440RT

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2009, 23:39:58 »

i have been buying parts to do this for the last year way before it died

just sort a cam the springs to match, bore the block and prep, balance rotating assembly

I don't want to tell you what to do, but I did the same thing when  I was building the 440 in my R/T and it wasn't a good idea in retrospect. There were several things I somehow overlooked and had to change or modify, things not even related to the engine.

Example:  bought these Hooker Super Comp 2" headers, hell yeah right? They'd look cool and I was putting 3" exhaust on it, the magazine says they fit etc etc. Plus, they were on sale with summit bucks coupons and I got a free shirt. why not?

Well, when I went to hook my brake lines up, guess what happened? The proprtioning valve just happened to sit, in the factory location, where one of the tubes tucked up near the frame.  :pound: Had to completely redo that line, which was a PERFECT FIT all because of the stupid headers I bought waaaaay ahead of time.

That isn't my only story either with buying parts ahead of time, I got alot of them, won't ever do it again. Best thing is to get a plan together and decide the route you want to go and stick with it as bes as possible and weigh ALL the factors, not just what your messing with at the moment.

Reggie

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2009, 23:52:57 »

Best thing is to get a plan together and decide the route you want to go and stick with it as bes as possible and weigh ALL the factors, not just what your messing with at the moment.

Amen to that.  BTW Rob, that sounds like a nice cam for your 390.  The 390 will be ok with 2.94s because it will have gobs of torque at the bottom.  Good all around gear for a driver.  - RR

270SE

• Dippy Oracle
  • NC
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2009, 23:59:15 »

2.40s are okay. I get the mileage with them and they keep revs down. They'll hold it back but you are stroking it and the gear swap to bring the revs up is kind of useless in that respect.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21 |   Go Up