Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 |   Go Down

Author Topic: The easiest way to flush your manhood down the crapper, buy a plymouth breeze  (Read 8344 times)

mopardwh

• Dippy God
  • Evansville, IN

far as gas mileage goes, a lot of brand new vehicles w/ V8s with all the high-tech computers and OBD I, II, OR III can't hold a candle to a  well-kept 318 5.2L carbed V8, even w/o a catalyst.

I hope you're kidding. My ahb rated at 230 hp gets 12 mpg, and my dads 05 Ram 4x4 rated 345 hp gets 14 mpg. So I don't understand your logic. Not to mention, the Hemi is the worst v8 on the market as far as mpg.

There really are plenty on compromises for fuel economy. I've had two Dodge labeled Jap cars that had 300+ AWHP and still got 22+ mpg hammered down. 
Doug

Nickdalzell

• Resident Deer and Fifth Ave fanatic
  • Dippy God
  • Kentucky
  • No longer seeks a 4-speed!

IT's just hard to believe that with all the high-tech gadgetry on new vehicles, plus all this 'green' crap i hear about on a daily basis, you'd think cars today would get far better MPG than they do, but alas, some are either tied the same as the old Dodge Aries/Plymouth Reliant, or get worse than any 20+ year old car.

The '07 Ram i mentioned had no hemi, some 4.x engine. but it topped out at 10.1, the '06 Chevy he had first, got 12.1-13.0, directly tied with my 24-year-old Fifth Avenue. and that's sad. my car getting exactly the same MPG as a later model Chevy Pick-up weighing about the same (~4-5000 lb) empty, with merely an old Mopar Performance Electronic Ignition, and no catalyst. while that truck was EFI, OBDII, and who knows what else.

Cars advertised are topping out at 28-40MPG. cars from decades ago got that with less. and i stand firm when i say that Suzuki/GM had something going with the Geo/Chevy Metro, with over 50MPG. but they couldn't keep a good thing going.

Dodge had it with the Neon, but again, they take a good thing and ditch it.

Bottom line, i'm just surprised with all the high-tech gimmickry that cars today haven't improved on gas savings much if at all. some got worse, some are tied with 80s Economy cars. and i still fail to understand the point of the Hummer. unless you love bragging about raising gas prices intentionally, that vehicle has no real purpose. it's not even a real Hum Vee.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 15:47:57 by Nickdalzell »
Current Rides:

1984 Chrysler Fifth Avenue, Suzie's Angel 88K and counting!

1980 AMC Spirit/AMX

Ark

• Ayatullah of Rock 'n Rolla
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Bloomington, IN

Don't be knocking technology, dude. Go check out the turbocharged 4 cylinders that are making 100 hp more than our Ms did.
1987 Chrysler Fifth Avenue, 360 4bbl .030 over, A727, 2.94, cop suspension and then some

1997 Saturn SL2, 1.9L DOHC 5spd

mopardwh

• Dippy God
  • Evansville, IN

Don't be knocking technology, dude. Go check out the turbocharged 4 cylinders that are making 100 hp more than our Ms did.
And getting 10+ mpg better. I seriously doubt your friend had a 4.7 getting 10 mpg. And I'm not sure why you think you're car weighs as much as a full size truck.  :blink:

What's more is, even if a heavy a$$ full size truck got the exact same mileage as your car, it still has twice the power and would out run your car, and be able to pull it home.

Don't get me wrong, I agree they should be able to produce better fuel economy, and I bet money that they can. I just don't agree with your thought that older vehicles are more fuel economic.

P.S. They have a version of the metro still, it's called an Aveo.
Doug

Nickdalzell

• Dippy God
  • Kentucky

Wasn't the Aveo Discontinued though?

The Chevy 1500-HD was a 5,000 (give or take) truck empty. and it's little economy meter leveled off at 'AVG ECON 12.1MPG' at 55mph.

the '07 Ram had a meter below one of the guages. it topped out at 10.1 at 35mph. both trucks were 1/2 ton and empty. my car is heavy for a car. it weighs in at around 4,000 lbs but with what's in the trunk it probably comes closer. bottom line economy, horsepower aside, my car isn't too far off what a brand new one gets. that's sad. and mine has no tech in it whatsoever and i'm just surprised. i'm not knocking the tech i just expected better out of all of it. i'd expect the Ram to at least out-do it's 1980s brethren. i should compare the 1989 Ram 250 i had to a new 1500 (that means mine was 3/4 ton rated and the 1500 is 1/2 ton rated) my Ram got at best 8-9mpg. that's also not far away from the new one. the old one had EFI but hardly as much stuff under it as the new one. and it was 3/4 ton too.

With all the money spent and all the tech going into them i would just expect more improvement, not the tiny one that it gets. i would expect the mileage to double at least. you ever look at all the modules in a new '07/'08 Ram? there's tons. and the minuscule improvement makes it all seem counterproductive.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 16:31:06 by Nickdalzell »
Current Rides:

1980 AMC Spirit/AMX

Ark

• Dippy Oracle
  • Bloomington, IN

Why the hell are you comparing your car to a truck in the first place?

No, the Aveo hasn't been discontinued, not that it's relevant.

Fifth Aves do not weigh 4,000 pounds, they weigh between 3,600 and 3,700.
1987 Chrysler Fifth Avenue, 360 4bbl .030 over, A727, 2.94, cop suspension and then some

Nickdalzell

• Dippy God
  • Kentucky

personally i forgot how this discussion got started.
Current Rides:

1980 AMC Spirit/AMX

Ark

• Dippy Oracle
  • Bloomington, IN

personally i forgot how this discussion got started.

When you started [Edited by Farley's]ing about things you know nothing about, as usual.

MoparDan

• M addict since '06
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Daytona Beach, FL
  • Rock On!

i still fail to understand the point of the Hummer. unless you love bragging about raising gas prices intentionally, that vehicle has no real purpose. it's not even a real Hum Vee.
I couldn't agree more!
The driver of a 1985 Plymouth Gran Fury Salon called The Cherry Bomb
"Paint it red"-Sammy Hagar
"Its like a carburetor instigator"-Quiet Riot
"I need a shot of gasoline"-Cinderella

wolfsblood07

• Dippy Regular
  • Arizona

The last mid-sized Plymouth sedan.  I was sad to see the Plymouth brand go.  It would have been nice if they had offered it with the V6 like the Stratus and Cirrus.

80 Lebaron Coupe

• 5 M Coupes
  • Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Diplomaniac Drive, East Texas.
  • Lebaron Coupe. Muscle with a touch of Class.

When I see one of these old threads revived,
I have to wonder where did all those people go. :umm:

5 1980 & 81 M Coupes
88 Dodge Diplomat AHB
80 Plymouth Volare Duster
80 & 83 Dodge Miradas

Patrick

• I'm Back!!!!
  • Inactive
  • Dippy God

Me too....Although I came back.....Sorry! LOL

80 Lebaron Coupe

• 5 M Coupes
  • Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Diplomaniac Drive, East Texas.
  • Lebaron Coupe. Muscle with a touch of Class.

Me too....Although I came back.....Sorry! LOL
Glad Ur Back.
Maybe others will start showing up again.
5 1980 & 81 M Coupes
88 Dodge Diplomat AHB
80 Plymouth Volare Duster
80 & 83 Dodge Miradas

Sublime440

• Mopar Hoarder
  • Dippy God

I wonder the same thing.

And when I see a "recent topic" on the first page and click on it and the last post was in Feb I get sick just thinking about how much more active the board used to be.

Barkfin

• Dippy Regular
  • Calgary, Alberta

I was thinking the other day, my 1987 dip is 30 years old now. And 30 years ago (in 1987) the 30 year old car of the time was from 1957.
And then I got thinking, man you did not really see people driving 195x cars in traffic in 1987, as if it was a real car. They were all worn out! Or else garage queens coming out in the sunshine for a gentle cruise once in a long while.

Now I'm looking at my old Dodge and it is fairly worn. A sensible move would be to recycle it and move on to something more modern.

Speaking of mileage, man this 318 with Summit 600cfm carb was an absolute pig: it would get about 200 km on a 60L tank, that's like 30L per 100 km which is like, uh, 7.8 mpg. This with the 2.24:1 rear end and careful driving! It was horribly out of tune, somehow. I'm hoping the TBI can get it running more efficiently, I'm still on the first tank (gone 200 km and now down to 1/2 tank, which is like 1/4 tank remaining... shudder).

Hey it's a cheap car that's fun to own, what the heck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 |   Go Up