Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] |   Go Down

Author Topic: 85 Chrysler 5th Ave Rear Differential Advise  (Read 7329 times)

270SE

• The Other F-body (the one that's fast)
  • Dippy Oracle
  • NC
  • Vinyl, woodgrain, and shag- that's an interior
Re: 85 Chrysler 5th Ave Rear Differential Advise
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 22:03:53 »

Well i was gonna suggest a dakota rear as its only a lil wider and will bolt to the factory dprings
But then you mentioned the bolt pattern :doh:
Bolt pattern's not a problem with an '87-'90 rear. Only '91-'04s were 6 lug.

I'm at the point where I have to decide to put money into the 7.25" axle for my Valiant.  It's noisy.  But the only other choice is really an a body 8.75" which is really expensive.  Or to swap to big bolt pattern and waste the money I have invested in small bolt wheels.

I hate the 7.25" axle.  Have I said that before
What's become popular are the Explorer 8.8 swaps (cheap, disc brake rear with LSD and steep gears, yoke is offset unless you swap axles- which can be done cheap using Aerostar parts I've read)

The other thing is just using a '66-'70 B body 8-3/4 rear end with the perches moved .5" on either side inboard- which I can't see why you wouldn't as opposed to upgrading to the A body rear. Or door number 3, use a donor '73-6 car for the front spindles, UCAs, and rear 8-1/4.

5x4 isn't worth keeping unless you have the small bolt early Mustang-style K-H discs and want to run 13" wheels. And it's probably not worth keeping then either.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 22:05:50 by 270SE »

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

DobaMark

• Administrator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Pittsburgh
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 06:22:08 »

I think my best option would be to find a disc brake later A body and get rid of the 7.25 for an 8.25 and gain front discs.  But I've got two sets of tires (one for show) mounted on 14x5.5 small bolt wheels.  I guess I could track down some Aspen 14x6 wheels if I find a later A body donor car.  Then I could sell the 14x5.5 small bolt wheels for some decent cash.

It's just a little slant 6 car - I don't think I'll be swapping a V8 in though you never know.

270SE

• Dippy Oracle
  • NC
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 10:25:25 »

I think my best option would be to find a disc brake later A body and get rid of the 7.25 for an 8.25 and gain front discs.  But I've got two sets of tires (one for show) mounted on 14x5.5 small bolt wheels.  I guess I could track down some Aspen 14x6 wheels if I find a later A body donor car.  Then I could sell the 14x5.5 small bolt wheels for some decent cash.

It's just a little slant 6 car - I don't think I'll be swapping a V8 in though you never know.
Aspen/Volare, Barracuda/Challenger, and Charger/Satellite all came with 14x6 Rallyes and even more came with 14x6 steelies.

The repop Rallyes are fairly cheap so that does hurt what the original wheels go for, but they still should have no problem paying for another set. Benefit of that is that E and B body/'73+ Rallyes also are affected similarly so are pretty cheap.

spike

• StreeT SweepaZ
  • Dippy Oracle
  • sticks of wisconsin
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2014, 12:12:44 »

Bolt pattern's not a problem with an '87-'90 rear. Only '91-'04s were 6  lug

Bolt pattern is a problem when your car has a 4" bolt pattern

79dodge4ever

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • windsor NS Canada
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2014, 12:23:19 »

have machine shop redrill axles for 4" bolt pattern, plenty of meat there for it
When told the reason for daylight savings time an old Indian said, “only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket”

81SportCoupe

• Dippy Die-Hard
  • Buffalo, New York
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 18:13:27 »

i think i still have an extra 7 1/4 laying around
81 Diplomat sport coupe
00 Ram 3500 van
89 Shadow coupe turbo

270SE

• Dippy Oracle
  • NC
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2014, 19:29:59 »

Not really when nobody should have 4" bolt pattern. Just change the front to late discs while you do it.

79dodge4ever

• Honored Member
  • Dippy Oracle
  • windsor NS Canada
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2014, 20:43:04 »

Not really when nobody should have 4" bolt pattern. Just change the front to late discs while you do it.

alot of A bodies do, and personally I wouldn't change nice wheels to get 4.5 bolt pattern, dads 66 dart style canadian valiant has small bolt slots and I'm not planning on changing them since it has 8 3/4 in the rear and scarebird discs in front
When told the reason for daylight savings time an old Indian said, “only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket”

270SE

• Dippy Oracle
  • NC
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2014, 22:49:42 »

alot of A bodies do, and personally I wouldn't change nice wheels to get 4.5 bolt pattern, dads 66 dart style canadian valiant has small bolt slots and I'm not planning on changing them since it has 8 3/4 in the rear and scarebird discs in front
That's a pretty rare circumstance to be in. And typically, all the good wheel styles are in 4.5 that are in 4".
Pages: 1 [2] |   Go Up