Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: You never know when it's your time.  (Read 546 times)

occupant

• Occupant Ilied Industries
  • Dippy Die-Hard
  • Columbus, OH
  • Occupant Ilied Industries
You never know when it's your time.
« on: April 14, 2019, 18:50:31 »

I was young.
I was indestructible.
I was invincible.
Aged 40 and close to 300lbs.  Eating several days' worth of salt and fat every single day.  Enjoying life, or so I thought.
Make a right hand turn, stretch to pop my back, oh, that feels funny, I'm dizzy, blackness.  Full blockage in two arteries.  Heart attack.

I felt nothing.
My wife was able to pull the handbrake up and put the car in park and shut it off before we hit anything.  A nurse a few cars back ran up and with the help of a couple more people, got my poofy rear end out of the car and onto the ground for CPR.  That didn't go well.  Medics arrived in about eight minutes.  Four shocks and narcan to get me stable enough for transport.  Lucas vest to keep me pumping/breathing on the way to the ER.

During the three days I was out, I was evidently a very bad hospital patient.  Pulling out IVs.  Trying to sit straight up eyes open right before surgery.  Clocking the charge nurse.  They put three stents in me and I was scheduled for a pacemaker.  Sitting up hurt.  Breathing hurt.  Everything hurt.
If that had waited a few more minutes, we would've been on the interstate.  65-70mph.  Traffic.  Semis.  Concrete walls and dividers.
You just don't know when your time is coming.  Mine came and went.  Have to restart the count of consecutive days lived.  I'll need to live to 81 to break my personal record now.  But I guess that's how it goes.  I have a pacemaker in me now working hard along with meds.  I'm one of those people now.  I use my cell phone as an alarm clock now to wake up and take my meds.  I have a little plastic container with AM and PM and days of the week on it.  I have a blood pressure tester.  There's a four inch gash by my left shoulder where the device went in.  I can't lift heavy things.  I can't put my left arm up over my head.  But I am alive.
If you're chubby, start watching what you eat.  Don't CHANGE it yet.  Just make a list.  Then look up how much fat and carbs and cholesterol and sodium was in it.  Take a week's diary.  Then compare that to the daily limits.  I bet you're eating like I was.  Where will you be when your body says time's up?  Will you be driving on the highway and end up in a tree?  Will you be asleep with no one to call 911 and save your life?  You don't know where you'll be.  But you can make changes to prevent it.  There's no way to know what will trigger YOUR incident.  But there's a lot of anecdotal evidence, and now you've read mine.
That said I won't be car shopping for awhile.  My wife managed to come up with a little 2008 Cobalt to get us around and keep us working.  Malibu is gone.  Corolla is gone.  Maybe we'll be able to get a second car someday but right now she isn't leaving my side so I can't leave her again.
Alan Moore - TOAD Roadside - Columbus, OH
08 Cobalt LT sedan, 209K, DoorDash/UberEATS beater

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

270SE

• The Other F-body (the one that's fast)
  • Dippy Oracle
  • NC
  • Vinyl, woodgrain, and shag- that's an interior
Re: You never know when it's your time.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 12:21:02 »

Man that's rough, thank god they got you back. Take care of yourself- glad your woman's there by you to get you through this.

They killed my buddy's dad a few years back IIRC just before surgery and while he's not been the same since he died, it's getting better and getting back there- being alive counts for a whole lot.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 12:21:45 by 270SE »

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 19:38:33 »

Scary. sorry to hear that. Good thing the wife was there and paying attention and knew how to handle the situation.

Patrick

• I'm Back!!!!
  • Inactive
  • Dippy God
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 08:13:03 »

Already made the changes in my world, but it was due to the wife having the issues. We're both doing great now.

But well said on the paying attention BEFORE you have issues, afterwards my be too late or not at all...

Glad to hear you're getting better.

lsm360

• Dippy Oracle
  • Melbourne, FL
  • Facts can be stubborn things
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 15:20:34 »

I am made fun of almost daily at work for what I eat and don't eat. I skip all the free junk food that is brought in for us. Cookies, doughnuts, brownies, soda, and the list goes on. I eat my stuff I've brought in, drink my water and go about my way. I never say a word to others about the crap they are eating and the harm it does, but funny, everyone feels free to say something to me about the "health food" I eat. It's just basic food, unprocessed, but to them it's "weird" and "gross" or "boring".

Even if I die young, I got more years than I would have.

Occupant; you relay a great message and something for people to consider before they are in a life or death situation. Thank you.
'89 Diplomat S code AHB now with FI 410 C.I.D. smallblock
1979 Power Wagon 150 Short bed Factory 360-4
2010 Charger Pursuit 5.7

Darth-Car

• Dippy Oracle
  • Ohio
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 18:26:52 »

Today's processed foods will be the death of us all.
Stay strong.  We are glad you are still here with us.
Until The Next Dimension,
The Admiral
Dayton, Ohio, USA

Patrick

• I'm Back!!!!
  • Inactive
  • Dippy God
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 08:57:24 »

Get enough preservatives in you, your family can save on the embalming fees when you die. lol (old joke)

But eating a balance of less processed is what we find is working for us. I don't buy organic, but I do buy more whole foods (fresh or frozen fruits and veg, more fish and chicken, whole grains, etc.)

DobaMark

• Dippy Oracle
  • Pittsburgh
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 14:29:39 »

One of the worst problems with processed food is the incredible amount of sodium in it. Yes, there are hidden sugars as well, but you can reduce those with "healthy" or "light" prepared food - but the sodium is still there in large amounts.

M_Body_Coupe

• Dippy God
  • Windsor, ON, Canada
  • aka Diplomat360
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 12:02:22 »

Damn man...glad to hear you pulled through!

Yeah, none of this stuff is any fun...I've been to some of these "places" and swore I would not go back. Here is the thing, take care of the stuff that's in your control, and don't lose sleep over things that are not.
1980 Dodge Diplomat Coupe, 360-4bbl, 727, 3.91 SG motivated sleeper!
1981 Dodge Diplomat Coupe, /6 38K mi. survivor car, awaiting restoration.
Pages: [1] |   Go Up