Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Opinion piece... Is a 4 barrel worth the cost?  (Read 1012 times)

Brokennose

• On the path...
Opinion piece... Is a 4 barrel worth the cost?
« on: October 09, 2019, 22:03:01 »

So the choke on the stock 2 barrel is broken. Everything works well enough but things need attention. Question is about performance gains.

1. Go cheap and just put another tiny 2 barrel if there is one. Haven't even googled that.

2. Replace intake, carb and upgrade to a 4 barrel. Eye balling edelbrock 2176 intake, 1406 carb. Plus lokar cables to make it all work.

I know what the 318 is, and isn't. If I can tear the tires off with some bolt ons.... I'm there.

But If people saying they're smoking tires with a 318 but have upgraded cams, heads, plus 4 barrel intakes, an carb... I'm cool with just getting a 2barrel that'll work as it should and be content with the rumble of a V8 at the stop light...

Dippy.org

• Advertisement

DobaMark

• Dippy Oracle
  • Pittsburgh
Re: Opinion piece... Is a 4 barrel worth the cost?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 06:26:22 »

If you expect performance, there are two things probably holding you back:
1) Economy 2.2 gears in the rear axle (assuming your car is 1980 or newer)
2) Low compression (1985 and up 318-2 had a bump in compression so ignore this if your car is newer).

Important: If your car has the 7.25" rear axle, forget spinning the tires. You'll destroy the rear end in the process.

Otherwise, just repair your 2 bbl or replace it with the same carb from another car. Yours is likely rebuildable because the choke is simple to fix.

Putting a decent 4 bbl on will give a slight bit more performance - don't expect you'll suddenly have a tire burning monster from a carb swap. Depending on the setup, you can lose bottom end responsiveness (that's why the factory used the spreadbore Thermoquad with small primaries to keep low end responsiveness and large secondaries for higher RPM performance.

Darth-Car

• Dippy Oracle
  • Ohio
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 16:05:41 »

I have used that 1406 on Jeep 360 motors, and had wonderful results.  Teo small sipping primary bowls for gentle cruising, and two larger secondaries when you put your foot down to make her go!
I am just thinking it may be over-kill for a 318.  I would stick with the two barrel.  The only other change I might consider is dropping a 2 barrel throttle body Chrysler setup from a late 80's truck on top, but that will require some computer, and wiring creativity.
Until The Next Dimension,
The Admiral
Dayton, Ohio, USA

Brokennose

• On the path...
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 19:02:34 »

Thanks fellas. I'll start checking junk yards for a suitable replacement.

Mike

• Global Moderator
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Canada
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 05:19:38 »

Whats wrong with the choke? You can get all parts new. Carburetors need to be rebuilt from time to time, you are better off doing that to yours that you know already somewhat runs then finding a matching used one in unknown condition that will need to be rebuilt as well anyway before use.

270SE

• The Other F-body (the one that's fast)
  • Dippy Oracle
  • NC
  • Vinyl, woodgrain, and shag- that's an interior
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 03:38:54 »

Good 2 barrels are typically more temperamental than a decent 4 barrel. I don't like Eddy's near as much as Holleys but the older Carters are typically pretty good too. I've had the Lokar cables for a swap for a long time but have usually just gotten the factory linkage in the past since it's not that difficult or expensive to do so.

I've really enjoyed low compression 318s with 4 barrels as daily drivers in the past. Reliable to the point where it's not a big deal for other people to be driving the car/truck.

Ark

• Ayatullah of Rock 'n Rolla
  • Dippy Oracle
  • Bloomington, IN
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 20:55:57 »

I ran a 1406 on a 318 for a long time. There was a definite performance difference. Get the aluminum intake to go along with it, of course.

You do need to open up the exhaust if you haven't already, the benefit of more intake is limited if the exhaust stays restricted. Short or long headers are great, but at a minimum you need to lose the front cats. 

Rear axle ratio is another big limiting factor, but you can at least  pick up  some gain with intake and exhaust.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 20:56:28 by Ark »
1987 Chrysler Fifth Avenue, 360 4bbl .030 over, A727, 2.94, cop suspension and then some

1997 Saturn SL2, 1.9L DOHC 5spd

M_Body_Coupe

• Dippy God
  • Windsor, ON, Canada
  • aka Diplomat360
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 19:43:16 »

Hmm...you might have the crappiest gears out back...but a well tuned 4bbl will always give you a little bit of boost!

Look, motor is all about airflow. Yeah, with [Edited by Farley's]ty gear it'll take longer to pick up the RPM and move, but if what you currently have in the motor can handle the extra air, well, that means with that extra air you'll put more fuel there and that's going to turn into more power.

Here is the thing: do NOT expect miracles!

I have not seen a 2bbl to 4bbl swap that flat-out didn't "feel" faster...could have been mental horsepower though...LOL!

My suggestion: if you are ready and willing to learn a thing or two, go for it. Pace yourself, be realistic about your goals and just plain have fun.
1980 Dodge Diplomat Coupe, 360-4bbl, 727, 3.91 SG motivated sleeper!
1981 Dodge Diplomat Coupe, /6 38K mi. survivor car, awaiting restoration.

Brokennose

• On the path...
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 16:19:36 »

I appreciate all the feed back, and varying points of view. I've looked around a little. At this point it's going to be a spring time project that could go different directions. I'm leaning towards the 4 barrel/intake swap, along with some headers.
The wiring situation should keep me busy for a bit. I got some LED replacements about a year ago that still don't operate as they should. Behind the dash revealed a total rat's nest of someone's fixed.

jeebis44

• Dippy Groupie
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2019, 18:45:09 »

You won't regret the 4bbl swap - the 318 runs out of breath very quickly w/ the 2bbl. Demon Street Demon 625 and Edelbrock Performer #2176 intake is the ticket. The street demon is an advanced version of the carter thermoquad with small primaries for throttle response / fuel economy, and huge secondaries for power. The 2176 is a direct swap for your stock intake.

lsm360

• Dippy Oracle
  • Melbourne, FL
  • Facts can be stubborn things
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2019, 12:20:54 »

Bottom line for me; I think it's worth it for the sound alone, but that's just me. I'd find a remanufactured Thermoquad for the best sound, but even a Quadrajet. No, they are not the easiest tuned ones, like the 1406, but ohhhh that sound. You probably can also find the linkage you need on Ebay or Craigslist, or possibly here.

Yes, you really need more air out too in order to maximize benefit, so open up the exhaust some. If nothing else a better flowing single exhaust would be enough (Canadian Y-pipe). Better gears too.
'89 Diplomat S code AHB now with FI 410 C.I.D. smallblock
1979 Power Wagon 150 Short bed Factory 360-4
2010 Charger Pursuit 5.7
Pages: [1] |   Go Up